tyre rotation?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

tyre rotation?

Postby custard » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:46 pm

I have a quick question for the tadpole riders.
Have you ever looked down and thought, "Maybe I should do a tyre rotation?"

I might be imagining it but it looks like my front tyres are wearing harder on the outside of tyre. (like on a car...)

-custard.
custard

by BNA » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:00 pm

BNA

Re: tyre rotation?

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Custard most tyres are directional so if if the wear is even then rotating then will do bugger all and if the rear is the same size then your going to be having odd wearing tyres if you do rotate the front out. It might be time for a real look at setting your toe in/out and making sure that this is set-up right because it may be the cause of tyre scrub. I find that due to the camber of our roads in this country that the left tyre cops more wear than the right side. Does your trike have the ability to adjust the camber? If it does then maybe time for a camber alignment along with toe.

One other point does your trike have Ackerman steering because if it doesn't this will also aid in tyre scrub when cornering. Your trike maybe also scrubbing the outside of the tyres due to hard corning due to the forces but if your genital at corning then this wouldn't be such a big deal and go back to thinking about toe/camber.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Re: tyre rotation?

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:59 pm

custard wrote:Have you ever looked down and thought, "Maybe I should do a tyre rotation?"
-custard.

i have swapped my front tyres a couple of times, but due to glass damage not wear. the left tended to suffer a lot of cuts on my commute, so i'd swap them to try and get a few more k's out of them.

if they are wearing unevenly, it never hurts to check your toe-in (though i've never experienced uneven wear due to poor toe-in, just LOTS of wear)

cheers

glen
I like to ride my tricycle
chuckchunder

Return to Recumbents