Recumbent wanted..........I think ??????

Nitram

Recumbent wanted..........I think ??????

Postby Nitram » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:32 pm

OK, I spent 1/2 hr riding Graeme's Bacchetta CORSA around Springwood/Blue Mountains last weekend, and ................ I'm pretty interested. In fact I'm so interested that I'd like to spend some more time with one. 1/2 hr isn't really enough time to overcome the feelings including fear of crashing into parked cars, and terror of a high speed plain loss-of-control.

As a long-time "upright" bike rider, I'm not about to jump in boots-and-all. And with a stack of bikes of all shapes, values and styles (except recumbents !) in the shed, my marriage might not survive the investment in a brand new 'bent !

So, here's the question. Where can a bloke get a second-hand one that isn't full of junk components, or made to some weird geometry that makes it impossible to enjoy riding, without too heavy a financial commitment ? Ebay ? Trading Post ? Is there some place where the committed buy and sell their laid back bikes ? I'm not in need of anything really flash or super-light. At this stage I'm talking commuting and weekend rides of 50 or 60 km. I'm not too fussed if it's a hi or a low style frame setup, 'though Graeme's is high and I think that'd be my preference.

Any thoughts ///

Cheers,

Martin

graeme1957

Re: Recumbent wanted..........I think ??????

Postby graeme1957 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi Martin. It's Graeme here. There was one on ebay which looked OK. OOPS! Just rechecked. Auction must be finished but don't think it sold so it might relist. Also, have a look at Flying Furniture under specials. Ian sells his demos off there.
Last edited by graeme1957 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

graeme1957

Postby graeme1957 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:31 pm

BTW Martin. Offer is still open if you want to take mine for a decent ride. Any time. Just let me know. Graeme

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:43 pm

OzHPV has a successful For Sale page http://www.ozhpv.org.au/forsale/forsale.html
Members of OzHPV can post for free. Others can make donation to advertise.
Pete

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Graeme, We'll have to get together to do the 60km Yaramundi loop once this rain clears away (and after I get fback from S.A./Vic.). I'm dead keen to see how your bike performs in company with a conventional bike. Thanks again,

Thanks Pete for the HPV link. Doesn't seems to be too much for sale there just now, but I'll keep an eye on that site, as well as Ebay etc.

Cheers,

Martin

graeme1957

Postby graeme1957 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi Martin.

Don't forget you have to compare apples with apples. It's a fair bet that you are stronger than me on the bike- if you aren't then you are about the only rider in the mountains who isn't so I think I'm safe in my assumption. It would be a better comparison if you took some time to get used to the bike (say on the M7) then rode the Yarramundi loop. You would be comparing your own performance then. I think the biggest advantage of the recumbent isn't the extra down hill or flat speed you get because in my instance I lose the advantage on the climb. The strong advantages for me are the comfort, the "have a look around" position you are in on the bike, the distinct lack of aches and pains that riding the recumbent provides compared to any conventional bike I have ridden - they are very ergonomic, and the distances that I can cover on the bike and still be comfortable. A number of the riders touring when I was that I bumped into on my trip were surprised that I was rode 180 -190 km on quite a few days without any problem. On a number of those days I felt OK to keep going but ran out of daylight.

Graeme

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 am

Hi Martin,
I have a second hand Performer high racer that might suit. similar to this: http://www.performer.com.tw/2010/user/p ... &sno=00064 in white.
PM me if you want more details.
Cheers

Alex

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:10 pm

PM sent

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:25 pm

That's a very fair point Graeme, and I guess I'm just curious to see how they compare with an upright bike, in the same conditions etc. But my interest in the recumbents is primarily a factor of the increasing level of discomfort that my 51yr old body is having folding itself around the upright bike on a long ride. The "bent" ergonomics are very attractive, and it may well by that, rather than any power advantage gained from the seating position, that enables you to keep doing it longer.

Anyway, I'll be in touch in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Martin

graeme1957 wrote:Hi Martin.

Don't forget you have to compare apples with apples. It's a fair bet that you are stronger than me on the bike- if you aren't then you are about the only rider in the mountains who isn't so I think I'm safe in my assumption. It would be a better comparison if you took some time to get used to the bike (say on the M7) then rode the Yarramundi loop. You would be comparing your own performance then. I think the biggest advantage of the recumbent isn't the extra down hill or flat speed you get because in my instance I lose the advantage on the climb. The strong advantages for me are the comfort, the "have a look around" position you are in on the bike, the distinct lack of aches and pains that riding the recumbent provides compared to any conventional bike I have ridden - they are very ergonomic, and the distances that I can cover on the bike and still be comfortable. A number of the riders touring when I was that I bumped into on my trip were surprised that I was rode 180 -190 km on quite a few days without any problem. On a number of those days I felt OK to keep going but ran out of daylight.

Graeme