Newbie Fixie

Rivergoblin

Newbie Fixie

Postby Rivergoblin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Hello, Im new to this fixie thing,(new Australia as well! moved here about a month ago) Just got hold of an SE lager thanks to an industry friend (Nice one Chris!) I actually got 2, one for me, one for the lady (she fell in love with the Blue one) I built hers up free wheel, but when it came round to building mine, for some reason I set it up fixed. Even though I have never ridden fixed gear before, and have never felt interested in doing so. Back in england, my usual bike would be some sort of road race bike. Well anway, united with a bike once more I have been heading out on short rides and seeing what this fixed gear malarky is all about. The first reaction was annoyance at not being able to coast, but that soon past. On the second day I think I entered what people refer to as the 'zen fixie state', and I aslo discovered the whole new world of challenge of 'going down hills on a fixie'. Day three was a 20 km ride, my first attempts at skids down an unsealed road and a track stand session as the sun went down (started to feel it, need practice!)

So there ya go, I am quite taken with fixie bikie, I think I will enjoy this new realm of cycling, there is just more to it, things to learn, new skills attain, tricks to master! A whole lot more involving than just riding along to where ever, (the ability to ride in backwards circles is obviously appealing) long post I know, but I thought I would leave a message, Im staying down in Myponga (not many fix gearists round here) so a little cut off from any kind of 'scene' (not that I really want to get into all that skinny jeans, bobble hats and artistic face hair business.....)

Anyway here is a pic of my new fixie bike (already compiling list of changes to make haha!) http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... .548826609

Bingis

Re: Newbie Fixie

Postby Bingis » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Rivergoblin wrote:Hello, Im new to this fixie thing,(new Australia as well! moved here about a month ago) Just got hold of an SE lager thanks to an industry friend (Nice one Chris!) I actually got 2, one for me, one for the lady (she fell in love with the Blue one) I built hers up free wheel, but when it came round to building mine, for some reason I set it up fixed. Even though I have never ridden fixed gear before, and have never felt interested in doing so. Back in england, my usual bike would be some sort of road race bike. Well anway, united with a bike once more I have been heading out on short rides and seeing what this fixed gear malarky is all about. The first reaction was annoyance at not being able to coast, but that soon past. On the second day I think I entered what people refer to as the 'zen fixie state', and I aslo discovered the whole new world of challenge of 'going down hills on a fixie'. Day three was a 20 km ride, my first attempts at skids down an unsealed road and a track stand session as the sun went down (started to feel it, need practice!)

So there ya go, I am quite taken with fixie bikie, I think I will enjoy this new realm of cycling, there is just more to it, things to learn, new skills attain, tricks to master! A whole lot more involving than just riding along to where ever, (the ability to ride in backwards circles is obviously appealing) long post I know, but I thought I would leave a message, Im staying down in Myponga (not many fix gearists round here) so a little cut off from any kind of 'scene' (not that I really want to get into all that skinny jeans, bobble hats and artistic face hair business.....)

Anyway here is a pic of my new fixie bike (already compiling list of changes to make haha!) http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... .548826609
I have the same bike, also loving the fixed gear. Can't ride backward yet either :lol:

I've put some 23c Detonators on rather than the kenda's and pulled off the rear brake yesterday after finding I never use it (still have the front brake). I don't have anything to do with the fixie scene either, just cruise around having fun. Thinking about taking the freewheel off too to save some more weight, but need to get a lockring/freewheel tool.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 pm

I saw an SE lager in Lygon street, Melbourne. It was blue and had a nice pair of risers which looked quite retro on it. I couldn't view your picture because it was on facebook and even if I could view it I don't suggest giving your facebook out to anybody either. Maybe get a flickr, I set one up just today and uploaded some photos of my roadie (soon to be fixed) on to here today. I would love to view some photos of your Lager soon. Wish you luck on trying to ride backwards (I'm not sure why you'd want to but anyway...).

E.G

Rivergoblin

Postby Rivergoblin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Here are some pics. As you can see its just a stock SE bike, (yeah yeah, not as cool as a home made, but I did build this one myself, it was delivered in bits) except for the toe clips and straps, I bought those with me from england, not sure what make they are but I like them, real quality leather and all that. Ive got New saddle and bars coming in the mail, might add pics once I have fitted them. The kenda tyres, yeah not boner inspiring, but they will do for now, no point in splashing out on good tyres when Im just gonna wreck these learning how to speed check. Any suggestions? (I always like vittoria randoneurs but cant seem to find any in Aus.)

Rivergoblin

Postby Rivergoblin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:05 pm

pppfffff pics didnt work. heres a link,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22956022@N ... otostream/

nathann

Postby nathann » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm

That's a nice looking bike!

I use Vittoria Zaffiro's and they are good and cheap. But that's only if you didn't want to use Kenda's and didn't want to use good tires.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm not a big fan of the Bull Horn look but if it suits you it's fine.

Rivergoblin

Postby Rivergoblin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Yeah, Im ot feeling the bullhorns at all, they look a bit odd, and I dont find them comfortable. Getting a normal straight bar instead.

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Thats my Lager, I've changed the seat, tyres, cranks, pedals and chain.

Most of that was on my old malvern star that I'd converted, but I had a hilux pull out in front of me - so that bike is dead now.

Also - loving the bullhorns, dropped them down 3 rings and I can get right down over them without looking down too much

Rivergoblin

Postby Rivergoblin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Hmmm was definately glad to have those bullhorns today. Climbed the uphill from sellicks beach to myponga, bullhorns were an advantage nearly balcked out half way, but didnt stop. Not bad for a newbie! beer o'clock I reckon!

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:31 pm

If your in a hilly area bullhorns are good but I find that drops are perfect for climbing and descending. Having that extra drop position boosts me physically and mentally. Physically because it decreases drag. Mentally because it feels like I look really pro when I am on the drops, hehe. "Think of Drop Bars as Risers with an extra hand position" I was once told by a chap in another thread. The brake levers/hoods also provide that other hand position you have when riding the horns on bull horns. As a conclusion I would almost always choose Drop Bars on a road/fixie except for if my fixie/road bike was a casual commuter or a trick bike. Though if risers or flats feel fine with you, you should use them, go with the flow.

Isaac

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 pm

EvilGenius wrote:If your in a hilly area bullhorns are good but I find that drops are perfect for climbing and descending. Having that extra drop position boosts me physically and mentally. Physically because it decreases drag. Mentally because it feels like I look really pro when I am on the drops, hehe. "Think of Drop Bars as Risers with an extra hand position" I was once told by a chap in another thread. The brake levers/hoods also provide that other hand position you have when riding the horns on bull horns. As a conclusion I would almost always choose Drop Bars on a road/fixie except for if my fixie/road bike was a casual commuter or a trick bike. Though if risers or flats feel fine with you, you should use them, go with the flow.

Isaac
I thought you only had a mtn bike Isaac.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:39 pm

I have been riding the new road (Malvern Star 80's) around lately. Love the Drops.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 am

EvilGenius wrote:I have been riding the new road (Malvern Star 80's) around lately. Love the Drops.
Yes but remember Isaac that they are road drops and not track drops.
Track drops are not 'just like risers with another hand position' as you have mentioned somewhere on this forum.
Not a great pic but can you see how there is very little horizontal bar on my Cinelli bars in this pic?

Anyway risers make anything look sexah!!

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 am

Yeah, I do agree that risers look good on some bikes but I still prefer drops.

Rivergoblin

Postby Rivergoblin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 pm

So after a few weeks of riding this thing around, Im definatelty taken with fixed gear, loving it. however, I have realised the frame is too big, need to go down a size. I will transfer all the bits to a smaller frame. Im new to all this, can anyone tell me what tools I will need? I hear cups and BB are a pain. thanks in advance.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:20 am

Sure I will, Chain breaker, Crank Puller, Set of Allen Keys, Adjustable Monkey wrench and Brute strength.

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 am

you also may need a socket thingo for pulling the bottom bracket off, and remember one side is reverse thread - that got me on my old bike.

Rivergoblin

Postby Rivergoblin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks people. Appreciated.
Anyone ever use this webshop? seems good and afordable, but lack of contact phone number puts me off. any feedback? http://www.velogear.com.au/index.php?p=home
cheers

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:07 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Sure I will, Chain breaker, Crank Puller, Set of Allen Keys, Adjustable Monkey wrench and Brute strength.
Isaac what are you doing?
Dude don't use a Monkey wrench and if you are unsrue get your LBS (local bike shop) to change over the BB.

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Rivergoblin wrote:Thanks people. Appreciated.
Anyone ever use this webshop? seems good and afordable, but lack of contact phone number puts me off. any feedback? http://www.velogear.com.au/index.php?p=home
cheers
I've used them once. Bought a few items, all went smoothly - no issues.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:25 pm

SeanB wrote:
Rivergoblin wrote:Thanks people. Appreciated.
cheers
I've used them once. Bought a few items, all went smoothly - no issues.
Ditto, fast service too. same retailer on Ebay called pumpdoctor or similar.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:49 am

aaron wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Sure I will, Chain breaker, Crank Puller, Set of Allen Keys, Adjustable Monkey wrench and Brute strength.
Isaac what are you doing?
Dude don't use a Monkey wrench and if you are unsrue get your LBS (local bike shop) to change over the BB.
Why not use a Monkey Wrench...Image

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:12 am

Because this is a monkey wrench.

Yours is a shifter. I know what the properties of the image say...but it's wrong.
I reckon you should settle down your advice a bit Isaac.
Just sayin

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:20 am

aaron wrote:Because this is a monkey wrench.
Actually, that's a stillson. More commonly known as a pipe wrench.

'Monkey wrench' is a colloquialism whose definition seems to vary depending upon which side of the Pacific Ocean you're from.

Just sayin'... :lol: