The treasures you can find

cludence

The treasures you can find

Postby cludence » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:49 am

I have been reading about the latest retro additions on the forum and it's great to see many have caught the bug.

Yesterday I went for a drive through an area where there was a local cleanup and picked up this great frame. An Alan alloy road frame, approx 1983, complete with campag components and a nice cinelli stem and bars. -Yes Gary, I no longer have to envy your nice Italian made frames. I have my own to play with now.

I saw the owner throw it out and he gave me that 'you are a scab' look but I didn't care. Why someone would throw a fully useable frame is something I will never comprehend.

So if you are considering buying a retro on ebay, keep in mind there are plenty of free ones out there and quite often they are good ones.

Karen.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:54 am

That's bizarre. Good catch there Karen.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:08 am

ohh my God I am sooooo jelous.

I always keep an eye out during the "big cleanups" but so far have never found anything of interest. I will just have look harder!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:20 pm

uMP2k wrote:
I always keep an eye out during the "big cleanups" but so far have never found anything of interest. I will just have look harder!
We have too many seasoned elderly campaigners in our area for any normal people to get a look-in.

They seem to have an inbuilt radar.

scratchman

Re: The treasures you can find

Postby scratchman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:16 pm

cludence wrote:I saw the owner throw it out and he gave me that 'you are a scab' look but I didn't care. Why someone would throw a fully useable frame is something I will never comprehend.

Karen.
You're being a responsible person and recycling, nothing wrong with that :lol:
And why people throw out stuff like this I don't understand, but it's good that they do :wink:
Cheers, Phil

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Nice find !

I wish I could find something like that just cruising around !

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:01 pm

I got my ALAN frame from DeGrandi's in Geelong 10 years ago. DeGrandi's was my favourite bike shop as they have been in business for many years and their stock was simply mind blowing. Their expertise matched their unbelievable assortment of parts.

Their assortment of frames made your jaw drop. I had a little money saved up and a super record groupset sitting at home so I thought it was time for a frame. I asked their top mecanic, 'Spud' (who can fix anything) what was the best frame in the shop? He lead me past Colnago's and Pinarello's to the ALAN frame - that was the frame for me.

The ALAN is really nice to ride and it cleans up beautifully. I love it!

Check to see if your frame is still bonded at the joints. They are glued and screwed together. I have never needed my frame re-glued but I understand it is still possible to find people with that knowledge.

You have a TOP bike frame as well as some great parts. I am so pleased you have got it.

If you desire, Cyclemondo, on ebay has replacement decals.

You saved a great bike from a fate I don't even want to think about, well done Karen.

Gary.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:17 pm

Karen, if I'm not mistaken, the rear derailleur looks like a 1st generation Campagnolo Super Record.

These derailleurs have black annodised housing ends with the front parallelogram arm embossed with 'Super Record'. There is a date code stamped on the top black housing where the cable enters the derailleur. The first Gen. Super Record derailleurs were made around 1975 to 1978 (I think).

If it is a 1st gen Super record it could be worth in the region of $300.

On the other hand, if it's a Nuovo Record derailleur its still worth in the region of $50 th $100. The Nuovo record stuff is very nice.

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Gary,

The derailleur is Nuovo. Not that I mind, it was free so I am definately not complaining. There are no cracks and the bonding is good as well. All that is missing is the wheels. I called by there again today to see if they had been kind enough to put them out for me, but no, I suspect they are on their new bike or long gone.

I was lucky though as the street next door had a lovely old 40's bike complete with vew hubs and stem, in good nick for it's age. I spoke to the owner and it was his father's who is now in his 80's. Sadly someone pinched the leather seat before I found it but glad they left me the bike!

I will speak to Greg about decals for it as this one is worth getting back looking like new.

Karen.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Wow Karen - What a great find. Personally, I prefer the look of the Nuovo Record Groupset - I have a couple of bikes with this groupset (Bianchi).

And if that wasn't lucky enough - you find another bike in the next street. Don't bother buying this weeks tattslotto - surely you've used up all your luck!

I do hope the frame size is OK.

Gary.

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:56 pm

The frame which I have yet to measure looks like it will be the right size, if not very close. I saw the owner and he was a similar size to me. He wasn't a tall man, so I think I will be ok.

I actually got the quinella. I got a pre war ladies bike which I can use for a display and some cycling rollers as well. I wont be buying tickets, I knew this area was predominately populated with elderly people so knew if was worth a trip over there.

Probably wont be so lucky again for a long time but I dont mind, I have more than enough to keep me busy.

Karen.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:28 am

I'm very, very jealous! One of the guys in our club rides a dark blue Alan with Nuovo Record components and it's gorgeous.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:24 am

That has to be the score of the decade as there have been many who toiled for years & could never hope to buy one of these when they were new, yet providence has delivered this into your lap, for free.
With the headlong rush to new fangled bikes, a great deal of top quality Campagnolo stuff is becoming available at very affordable prices, so if you can't find some hubs & rims, then yell out & I'll see how many I have left in the drawer. Probably have some period correct rims hanging about too.

My 1972 Lennie Rogers is dripping with Record & Super Record stuff & it's truly the stuff of dreams.

This will make you the envy of the scavenger-bike crowd for sure.
Good score there Kaz.
Last edited by Kid_Carbine on Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Seele

Postby Seele » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:38 am

Karen,

Would a Regina GS Corse freewheel, 13-14-15-16-17-18 be a match for this?

S.

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:46 am

My friend picked up 2 peugeot in "big-clean up" days. Its an older sydney areas.

I live a new areas i couldnt find one cept mountain bikes.

Gill

Postby Gill » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:54 pm

[quote="Kid_Carbine"] so if you can't find some hubs & rims, then yell out & I'll see how many I have left in the drawer. Probably have some period correct rims hanging about too.

My 1972 Lennie Rogers is dripping with Record & Super Record stuff & it's truly the stuff of dreams.
quote]

Hi Kid_Carbine,

You sound like exactly the right person to get some advice from. I recently picked up a large Lennie Rogers frame for my tall husband. He was thrilled and suddenly caught the bike building bug. Consequently he's being spending alot of time on ebay sourcing "vintage" Campagnolo parts. The part that has us scratching our heads is the wheels. What do you think would be appropriate in terms of hubs and rims for the bike? There's really not that much on ebay unless he went for tubulars which he doesn't want.

Thanks in advance.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:05 am

The choice of components will depend on when the bike was made, the quality level of the frame, & the type of frame [road or track]
My Lennie Rogers road bike was custom built for my stepfather when he retired back in 1972.

The Reynolds 531 DB Frame was built by Jim Bundy & originally came with a mixture of parts including Stronglight cranks, Campag pedals, high flange hubs & Nuovo Record rear mech.
The Seatpin & saddle were 3ttt, brakes were classic Universal Super 68, rims are Mavic Champione' du Monde [Champion of the World?] singles. [what's wrong with road singles?]
Front deraileur was a lowly Suntour Spirt [yes, Spirt]
Headset was Zeus, Handlebars were English made GB 'Maes' bends & I have forgotten the stem but the replacements are Cinelli with stitched-on leather covering.
All of the displaced items, with a couple of exceptions, have been recycled into my other bikes or are waiting for a frame to become attached to.

I had Jim Bundy upgrade & lower the brake bridge in the early 80's & it's now all Campagnolo Record & Super Record with a Brooks Professional saddle.
It will undergo an even better rebuild before too long as I now have the correct & original early decals for it.

Hopefully this is of some help, but if you wish you can contact me by e-mail for further discussion.

I found a pair of Record hubs in my parts box with the correct 126mm axle spacing for Cludence's ALAN & I am onto some singles rims. If these prove suitable I can produce a pair of wheels for this bike if they are wanted.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:30 am

How someone can throw that out is beyond me, surely the person must have some appreciateion of what they paid for it originally and blah blah, sometimes I think bikes like this get passed onto family members who show some enthusiasm for a week and then the bike doesnt see daylight until it is in hard rubbish..... either that or the bloke just needs to make room for his new mass produced $395 comfort bike.... sorry if this offends anyone but...