I need a route

mrjones

I need a route

Postby mrjones » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am

I do a saturday morning social ride that leaves from the toombul shopping center.

I live in New Farm and I have been driving to the shopping center but would like to ride there and back to make the ride a bit longer.

Can anyone suggest a relatively safe and direct way to get there?

RepcoMonaco

Re: I need a route

Postby RepcoMonaco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:58 am

mrjones wrote:Can anyone suggest a relatively safe and direct way to get there?
Hmm... the route I would choose, starting from the New Farm park:

Brunswick st, turn right onto Sydney st, turn left onto Lamington st. At traffic lights turn right onto Merthyr rd and continue onto Macquarie st, Vernon tce, Skyring Tce and the new road which is not marked on Google maps yet. In fact, the last 5 streets is the same road, no turns.

On Skyring Tce turn right at traffic lights (there's a crossing "in the middle of nowhere"), follow until the end and turn left onto Evelyn st and then Newstead tce. Turn right onto the footpath at the traffic lights where Newstead Ave crosses Breakfast Creek rd. Ride over the bridge, then follow the path under the bridge. From Breakfast Creek Hotel use any route to get to Sandgate road - I usually turn left after the bridge, go past Ace Rental Cars and turn right at the crossing.

Follow Sandgate road, pass the maccas, wait on the traffic lights and go up the hill. You can take the footpath if you don't like the traffic but it should be ok on Saturday/Sunday morning. At the top of the hill turn _left_ onto Albion overpass and then straight away _right_ onto Hudson road. Follow Hudson rd until you get to the top of another hill, where the road turns left and then right again onto Bridge st, passing over the railway. Ride to the traffic lights.

From there you have lots of options...

1. Continue straight along Bridge st/Dickson st for about 2 km, turn left at the roundabout, turn right onto Junction rd, after ~100m turn left onto Keith st. Continue until the end - you're at Kalinga park. Find the bike path which goes to the shopping centre.

2. Turn left onto the Chalk st, follow until it crosses Lutwyche rd. Cross Lutwyche rd, go down Thistle st and you'll see Kedron Brook bikeway, which will get you to Kalinga park

3. Turn left onto Chalk st and then right onto Kedron Park rd. Follow it until it crosses Lutwyche rd, go under the bridge and you'll find Kedron Brook bikeway there.

The route should be quite safe and mostly low traffic, especially on a Saturday/Sunday morning. You can modify some bits for less traffic or more speed if you wish (for example, you can take the riverwalk from New Farm park to the jetty if you prefer joggers to cars)

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:15 pm

i hear you ....I need a route
when do we stop for coffee???

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Mate I do not have time ATM but I will post the way i get to Toombul from New Farm Later tonight.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:03 pm

As per route upto maccas as RepcoMonaco route I turn right on to Crosby then left at top, right onto Lancaster and then left onto the road that goes past the racecourse. Dog leg at the end and you end up at the back of Toombul shops where the track hits the area where the cycle track is. This is a good route with minimal heavy traffic and the roads are nice and wide.

Check maps.google.com.au

Cheers Dave

tomns

Postby tomns » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Skyring Tce, right behind the new Energex building, through the backstreets there and you end up around near newstead house, head out to kingsforsmith drv and take the footpath
(road is too busy IMO) and follow it to Riverview Tce (cross at the lights) follow that up to Windermere then right into kitchener rd - take that one because it gives you a set of lights to cross Landcaster (which is pretty busy). Stay on that road, cross the railway line and the road becomes Zillman go up the hill and take a left into Gellibrand Rd (just over the rise)
and then right at that roundabout into Widdop (you are out the front of aviation high) and follow that along and as you go under the East West Arterial you are at Toombul shopping centre.

That is pretty much the safest route I have found and I commute on it 3 to 4 days a week (I go from Tarragindi to Virginia)

Hope that helps
Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif