Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

dangerous

Re: Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

Postby dangerous » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Mmmm. Falck technotrat frame?

Okay, I hear the dubie in your voice drubie, but hey, it's all coming back to me now.

I bought the Europa to impress a hot guy in the office - he had great bikes he rode to work.

I decided to ride to work too but couldn't be seen on a K-Mart special.

blaa.........blaa.............blaa

That's the office guy's bike I posted - the 85 ALAN.

So, ha, the Falck frame worked for me.

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 pm

dangerous wrote: So, ha, the Falck frame worked for me.
Heh - I can understand why you kept it.

Without somebody asking Abeni directly, it's kinda hard to work out what he built, what he bought and stickered and what he sold on top of that. The technotrat frames are actually pretty nice even if Abeni didn't do the brazing.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Maybe he doesn't know himself, just doesn't remember. Could be a bit forgetful and that's a way to it cover up, be difficult.

From what I can find out, the framebuilders of yesteryear were not good record keepers. I have a friend in Italy who knows Danielle Marnati very well, son of Umberto Marnati, and I asked my friend to ask him about a 73 Marnati bike I have. But, as seems to be the case often, there are no records, only vague memories at best. I also spoke to Mr Falconi, the son of the owner of ALAN, same story, no records, but he did have a good memory and was nice enough to answer all my questions about ALAN bikes.

I think if the great framebuilders had of known how much scrutiny and analysing of every detail of their bikes would be going on in the future, perhaps they would have helped us out more by keeping records.

Maybe it's just part of the fun of collecting vintage bikes.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 pm

for most ppl, the history is more interesting than the actual item.

sadly, when mr abeni's bell rings, he'll take all those stories with him.

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm starting to wonder whether the blue Europa I've got is actually a Nishiki / Kawamura frame that Europa badged up - it might say made in Australia but boy is the colour and lug highlighting similar to the Nishiki Landau or International, as is a lot of the parts mix. I haven't got a shot of it, but the frame has one Suntour specific feature: there is no cable guide for the front derailleur. The rear derailleur has a conventional brazed cable guide on top of the BB, but the left side just has a cable stop. The Suntour Arx has a built in cable stop on it, requiring a short length of cable between the frame and the derailleur (kinda similar to the rear "loop" of most bikes). It wouldn't work with anything but a Suntour front derailleur with cable stop and it's hard to imagine an Australian frame builder bothering with it. I wish I could find a decent shot of the BB area of one of those Nishikis though.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

spirito

Postby spirito » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:29 pm

drubie wrote:I'm starting to wonder whether the blue Europa I've got is actually a Nishiki / Kawamura frame that Europa badged up ...

As I mentioned there is a Motobecane in Europa Cycles right now but it sports brand new paint and Europa decals. Depending on who asks, John will say it's "one of ours" but when reminded it has french threading he will concede it's far from it.

It was and will always be common to paint up and decal frames as shop marques. I even know of framebuilders who've honoured "lifetime warranty" frame repairs on bikes that sport their decals but were never made by them. It's too hard to explain to the average punter that their "xyz" shop frame was simply a trade in and got fresh decals before being re-sold.

I've got an "Abeni" that I'm pretty sure is a 70's Raleigh (Suntour GS dropouts).
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 pm

I think this discussion is beginning to reveal why Mr Abeni doesn't offer much information.

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 pm

spirito wrote: It was and will always be common to paint up and decal frames as shop marques. I even know of framebuilders who've honoured "lifetime warranty" frame repairs on bikes that sport their decals but were never made by them
Funny you should say this. A couple of guys on the Tuesday club ride had steel "Jock Bullen" bikes out for a spin, one sporting columbus stickers and prominent "Jock Bullen" signage - I was chatting to another guy in the club and he said standard operational procedure was for Jock to peel the stickers off and slap his own on there on built up frames, even on things that came in from overseas trips. He did used to make frames but stopped quite some time ago according to him. I suppose most bike shops did the same thing

In some ways it seems better to come across a Repco or an Apollo. It's far easier to work out exactly what it is you are holding. No matter, the blue one covered in so many "Sheldon Brown mentioned" parts you could almost use it as an example for his Japanese bikes page. SR Laprade seatpost, Kashimax saddle (the splashed paint came off it, yay!), the Suntour drivetrain and shifters, SR stem and Road Champion bars and Dia-compe brakes without the awful suicide levers. 100% complete. Bit of a shame the frame itself is scratched up but it wouldn't have been tip shop fodder otherwise.

edit: serial number is N2K5606 - definitely not kawamura. The "N" is not as deeply marked as the other numbers. It does match the Centurion number scheme (indicating perhaps the 5606th Centurion made in 1982. It's a possibility.

spirito

Postby spirito » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:54 pm

drubie wrote:

In some ways it'll be a bit of a shame to see it go overseas, but better to be ridden than not I reckon.
Ok folks ... it stays in Australia and is now for sale !!
Check the marketplace on this site (Sydney only).
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

rustybike

Europa / Abeni / Any info please

Postby rustybike » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi. This is a Europa Tri-S 700 rims, Technotrat Italian frame,, gears Ofmega 2X6. Ofmega head with French alloy handle bars ( St eiterne??). Serial No hard to read but could be EC0099. brakes Modolo (MACHI??).
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g37 ... ty/europa/

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Mmmmm. Europa.

munga

Postby munga » Sun May 01, 2011 7:38 pm

getting there.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun May 01, 2011 11:33 pm

That paint job is Sublime, and actually- the piece of nylon rope hanging the frame up has a nice colour that goes well with the white. thats my opinion anyway. cant wait to see further pics :)
steel is the real deal.

munga

Postby munga » Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm

thanks Mark, but i won't be putting any frame painters out of work too soon. :D
i'm going to let it hang up there for a week or so and then paint the headtube, then another week or so, then fine sand and clearcoat.

mark field

Postby mark field » Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 pm

munga wrote:thanks Mark, but i won't be putting any frame painters out of work too soon. :D
i'm going to let it hang up there for a week or so and then paint the headtube, then another week or so, then fine sand and clearcoat.
decals before clear coat ?
steel is the real deal.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon May 02, 2011 11:23 pm

munga wrote:thanks Mark, but i won't be putting any frame painters out of work too soon. :D
I thought you figured the frame to be unsaveable munga?

You're making me feel bad about the Elan. for one, my paint job is completely botched and it mocks me every time I go to the shed. Second, I have slowly collected most bits but it's a real mish-mash of modern and retro Campagnolo stuff that may not look right - I'm really hoping the Record alloy cranks that Icycles have been chopping out look retro enough...

What have you got to hang back on that Europa?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Lookin' sharp Munga. 8)

munga

Postby munga » Tue May 03, 2011 7:48 pm

drubie wrote: What have you got to hang back on that Europa?
dust, mainly. ol' ropey will be going under the bed for a while once it's painted.
just trying to clear some space, and having half-finished projects all over the place is giving me midz.
i'm thinking early dura-ace or suntour would be nice.

munga

Postby munga » Sun May 08, 2011 11:51 am

contrasting headtube didn't feel right so i sprayed some blue bands on. once it's cured, all that remains is a fine sand and a clearcoat, and it'll be done.
Last edited by munga on Sun May 08, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun May 08, 2011 12:07 pm

subtle but quite effective. what tape did you use to mask off for the stripes? ive found this a very difficult process to get clean lines.
steel is the real deal.

munga

Postby munga » Sun May 08, 2011 2:20 pm

mark: 3m painters tape. the blue stuff you'll see at bunnings in the houspainting section. press down firmly, dust coat lightly, remove quickly.
if you want the good stuff, go to an auto paint suppliers store and ask what they've got. $25 a roll might sound like a lot, but it'll last many paintjobs.

terrible1g60

Postby terrible1g60 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:29 pm

you guys have some beautiful bikes on here.

i just picked up an elan but the decals and tube sets (vitus) and frame ends (super vitus) dont match anything ive seen.
it was built up all nuovo record
here are some pictures
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/ ... oto-24.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/ ... oto-27.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/ ... oto-26.jpg

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:34 pm

munga wrote:
drubie wrote: What have you got to hang back on that Europa?
dust, mainly. ol' ropey will be going under the bed for a while once it's painted.
just trying to clear some space, and having half-finished projects all over the place is giving me midz.
i'm thinking early dura-ace or suntour would be nice.
any progress? or still under the bed?
steel is the real deal.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:02 pm

nothing, mark.
been scrounging bits for other projects.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Evolution or Devolution of a Europa?

This is how it looks currently on ebay.

Jim