Water in the hills

bongo

Water in the hills

Postby bongo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Hey guys, and girls, heading out for my friday off ride tomorrow, and leaving the hydration pack at home.After some recent runs up Ansteys Hill without it, I realised how much extra weight I was carrying and how much quicker I am without it. Returning to the bottles but concerned at the availability of water along my route. Planning on heading up gorge rd, checkers hill, back to fox creek rd and home via adelaide lobethal rd. Besides shops in towns and the fountain at norton summit, are there any other filling points anyone knows of? Am being a tightwad and would rather not pay for bottled water, but have always worried about running out, hence the hydration pack.Any advice welcome.
Thanks Aaron

rustychisel

Re: Water in the hills

Postby rustychisel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:01 am

specifically, can't recall, but more generally, there's ALWAYS a tap somewhere around a church or hall. :|

bongo

Postby bongo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks Rusty, good thinking, ended up purchasing, no great loss but will keep it in mind for future reference. Ended up an 80km ride, did not have the legs for fox creek, but returned from checkers via the gorge and turned right onto paracombe rd.A nasty little number after 60kms and my fitness level.Great day for it too, cant wait to get amongst it again soon

Wino

Postby Wino » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Ive also noticed that a lot of CFS sheds have water taps. Just need to run them for a while as I find they arent used often and need to be flushed a bit. Also some sports fields and play grounds usually have taps too.
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

apv

Postby apv » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:47 pm

There is a water tap behind Lobethal bakery that we have used a few times..

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 pm

Aaron

On a ride of that distance, two normal-sized (750ml) bidons should be sufficient without having to refill, unless its 35+ degrees

But if you do find yourself short, the shop and caravan park at Cudlee Creek have taps, the toilets at the oval in Gumeracha, the toilets near the hall in Lobethal, the bowls club at Lenswood all have taps with fresh water. Most shops/cafe's will also fill up bidons if you ask nicely or buy a coffee/food, and I reckon most pubs would also fill up a bidon if you asked.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

bongo

Postby bongo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated, plenty of options out there, i need to get some larger bidons.
Dahondude wrote:Aaron

On a ride of that distance, two normal-sized (750ml) bidons should be sufficient without having to refill, unless its 35+ degrees

But if you do find yourself short, the shop and caravan park at Cudlee Creek have taps, the toilets at the oval in Gumeracha, the toilets near the hall in Lobethal, the bowls club at Lenswood all have taps with fresh water. Most shops/cafe's will also fill up bidons if you ask nicely or buy a coffee/food, and I reckon most pubs would also fill up a bidon if you asked.
I have always filled the hydration pack on long rides (2litres +) and always ran out at Norton summit (Gorge rd,Birdwood,Lobethal, return via Lenswood 100km ).Plus a powerade at Lobethal. Am I drinking too much? I do sweat a boat load. As stated my fear is dehydration, a long way out from home.Thanks again.

Aaron

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:13 am

bongo wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated, plenty of options out there, i need to get some larger bidons.
Dahondude wrote:Aaron

I have always filled the hydration pack on long rides (2litres +) and always ran out at Norton summit (Gorge rd,Birdwood,Lobethal, return via Lenswood 100km ).Plus a powerade at Lobethal. Am I drinking too much? I do sweat a boat load. As stated my fear is dehydration, a long way out from home.Thanks again.

Aaron
The indication that you are drinking too much is excess urination. That has happened to me once on a ride. But I was so dam thirsty I kept drinking. I normalised by only taking small sips when I was thirsty and eventually came good.
<removed by request>

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

d413

Postby d413 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:46 pm

my 2c worth from a slightly diff angle.
as a general rule of thumb we all need 1L of water per 25kg of body weight per day + 1L per hour of strenuous activity.
its quite a bit of fluid. again as a general rule include your first 2 cups of coffee, tea ect into your fluid count.

if you are well hydrated to start with i would be confident with recommending clients consume 1L a hour as a general rule.
there are always exceptions to the rule though.

regards
d413 (qualified PT)
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
Mark Twain

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks again dahondude, and casual cyclist, the colour of my wizz is normal, and relieving intervals are not out of character either.Larger bidons are on route from wiggle and have made mental note for filling opportunities.Should be right.Weather is on the improve and should be amongst it this weekend.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Dahondude wrote:Check the colour of your piss. See http://www.supremesafety.com.au/images/ ... cale_1.jpg
Doesn't work if you take vitamin b in the morning before the ride. It has yellow dye in it. Makes for embarrassing toilet stops :oops:

That happened to me on Around the Bay in a Day... got some strange looks from fellow abluters.
<removed by request>