Hardest climb in Canberra (city-ish)

southerner

Re: Hardest climb in Canberra (city-ish)

Postby southerner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:36 pm

cog_nition wrote:Wow, how to hijack a thread! I though this was a discussion about the merits of various road (my assumption) climbs in the Canberra area near the city, suddenly its about mountain biking at Stromlo and then the Brindabellas and then "they're all picking on me".
This is far from being a fair comment. The title of this thread is Hardest climb in Canberra (city-ish). I've been lurking here for a while and I've read that riders here often do 160 kilometres as training rides, done with impunity ... a 100 plus kilometres into the Brindabella Ranges and back is very much city- ish and Stromlo is only 15 minutes from the city? Unless the road riders here are just exaggerating how far they actually ride.
ifixbikes wrote:This thread reminds me of this http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... ps/page169

:roll:
Yes, I totally agree. It is amazing how the web allows insignificant posters to become dobbins and snitches and to be able to contribute to a thread ifixbikes. Bravo ... ifixbikes. Keep up the good work. You appear to be a consummate detective?

I think that the poster being berated is being more tongue in cheek than the rest of you put together.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 pm

[mod hat] So does anyone want to discuss the topic or should I just lock it? [/mod hat]
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

southerner

Postby southerner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:41 pm

m@, I'm discussing this topic.

Why are you attempting to be so heavy handed with censorship. This is Australia, I though that freedom of speech and exploring situations and ideas was much valued in this country. Freedom of speech underpins democracy ... are you some sort of jumped up fascist?

If that is the case? ... I certainly don't want to be on this site. M@ do feel free to drag a web forum to a new low.
Last edited by southerner on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Depends if you are just WarrenH back under a different name.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

southerner

Postby southerner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:29 pm

twizzle, mrgolf sounds rather friendly, where as you and cog_nition both sound somewhat vehement.

Should I show you the same disrespect by suggesting that you are cog_nition which appears in keeping or are you someone else's alterego?

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:33 am

southerner wrote:m@, I'm discussing this topic.

Why are you attempting to be so heavy handed with censorship. This is Australia, I though that freedom of speech and exploring situations and ideas was much valued in this country. Freedom of speech underpins democracy ... are you some sort of jumped up fascist?

If that is the case? ... I certainly don't want to be on this site. M@ do feel free to drag a web forum to a new low.
[mod hat] You'll find the conditions for participation on this forum under the site guidelines at the top of the page. You can choose to follow them, or play elsewhere - your perceived freedom of speech notwithstanding. As a noob I've given you the benefit of the doubt - your first post would've earned a warning for established members who should know better.

If you would like to discuss how the site is run further then please start a new topic in the forum and site feedback section - further off-topic replies in this topic will be deleted.
[/mod hat]
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

southerner

Postby southerner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:16 am

m@ wrote: (comments removed by site admin)
A moderator on an Australian web site is writing (comments removed by site admin)

Yeah right! I guess white supremacists can be moderators too? Why not? It is a free country? I guess? What colour is your bike?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:10 am

I am the Siteadmin - I removed a comment from m@'s last post which I felt was innapropriate and subsequently edited this out of your post. This is not the topic of discussion.

Southerner, I am afraid that as a newbie with four posts (to date) it is a bit tough for us to think - wow, a new user with four posts in one day knows how to run the forum better then we do. We get this all the time, though it is not that it is being run badly rather the new users havn't read the guidelines which keep this a friendly and family space or they don't agree with them. In the forum feedback section the way we run it can be discussed, for new users none the less we recommend spending a bit more time here as we have overwhelming support from long term members.

So, this is not a heckle forum, if anyone here is here just to atagonise then it wont be informative / fun / useful for anyone - lets be intelligent and argue the topic, not the person.
Cycling is in my BNA

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:57 am

The thing that really irritates me about where this thread has gone (all due to hijackers and !!! spammer !!! measurers... please excuse my bluntness) is that if any poster had bothered reading the opening post, they would have realised I had asked for a comparison of three specific climbs. It would not take a rocket surgeon to figure out I was referring to road riding as my description of each of the climbs is an apt reflection of what the road is like. As per below and for more detail please go back to page 1.
mrgolf wrote:Just thought I would see what other people think. Of the three 'big' climbs in Canberra - Mt Ainslie, Mt Majura and Black Mt - which do you think is hardest?
I put city-ish in the title so as to include Majura which, compared to Black and Ainslie is not really within the CBD area. It is not far away, but is certainly not as close.

I ride a fair bit and cover some fairly lengthy ground on training rides so for anyone to suggest I am soft for not including Corin and Fitz is a bit silly, and they should refer back to my first point. However if someone wants to make themselves feel bigger and better than other people by making an irrelevant point about something that hasnt even been discussed without knowing anything about the other posters, then so be it.

As for my granny gear comment, I had no idea there was so much animosity between the road and mtb community, but I think getting overly aggressive about it is counter productive to the cycling community on the whole and in this forum. As mentioned, I like both, but predominantly ride road as it suits my lifestyle better. This does not make me less of a man.... although some may argue the point with our overly delicate bikes and pretty lycra.

Fact is, we all enjoy cycling. But no one ends up enjoying keyboard warriors.

Hope I havent trodden on anyones sensitivities, but I am a little irritated by the way this thread has developed.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:54 am

southerner wrote:twizzle, mrgolf sounds rather friendly, where as you and cog_nition both sound somewhat vehement.

Should I show you the same disrespect by suggesting that you are cog_nition which appears in keeping or are you someone else's alterego?
Around here, respect is earned.

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm

twizzle wrote:
southerner wrote:twizzle, mrgolf sounds rather friendly, where as you and cog_nition both sound somewhat vehement.

Around here, respect is earned.

and Australia does not have "Freedom of Speech". and this is a private message board. You sign up and play by the rules, or you lose the privilege of posting.

Simple, really.

So, what IS the hardest city-ish Canberran climb?
Are we including road and off-road?
Should they be separated into two different categories?
2010 BMC SLC01

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 pm

In this thread, that was the intention. As per my last post. I personally find ainslie hardest but by a whisker and only because it kicks at the end. You need to pace yourself to have legs over the last 500m. However, none of them are particularly grueling climbs.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 pm

mrgolf wrote:In this thread, that was the intention. As per my last post. I personally find ainslie hardest but by a whisker and only because it kicks at the end. You need to pace yourself to have legs over the last 500m. However, none of them are particularly grueling climbs.

i call Baloney, all hills are grueling for me!!!! hehe
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:39 pm

1300 gram clinchers and 65kg body weight help a lot.

To be honest, I have noticed that the wheels have made an amazing difference on climbs. Old wheels were over 1800 grams.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:31 pm

105kgs doesnt help me up any hill :(
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

cog_nition

Postby cog_nition » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

southerner wrote:
cog_nition wrote:Wow, how to hijack a thread! I though this was a discussion about the merits of various road (my assumption) climbs in the Canberra area near the city, suddenly its about mountain biking at Stromlo and then the Brindabellas and then "they're all picking on me".
This is far from being a fair comment. The title of this thread is Hardest climb in Canberra (city-ish). I've been lurking here for a while and I've read that riders here often do 160 kilometres as training rides, done with impunity ... a 100 plus kilometres into the Brindabella Ranges and back is very much city- ish and Stromlo is only 15 minutes from the city? Unless the road riders here are just exaggerating how far they actually ride.
ifixbikes wrote:This thread reminds me of this http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... ps/page169

:roll:
Yes, I totally agree. It is amazing how the web allows insignificant posters to become dobbins and snitches and to be able to contribute to a thread ifixbikes. Bravo ... ifixbikes. Keep up the good work. You appear to be a consummate detective?

I think that the poster being berated is being more tongue in cheek than the rest of you put together.

I still stand by my original comments. As Mr Golf has already clarified the OP was regarding road around Canberra city. Misinterpreting the the OP then becoming defensive when he light heartedly tries to clarify the post heading is being tongue in cheek? Unfortunately I've come across Warren over at Rotorburn previously (not the linked post and different one) and found him to be quick to offend. This is usually followed by numerous photos and sarcastic comments. I'm not going to post links but I'm happy for Southerner to PM me if he like some direction or discuss my comments further. No, I'm not an alter ego, and yes for the record I have ridden cardiac climb but only the B-line of hammerhead, but why Warren thinks this should make a difference I'm not sure. Sorry Mr Golf if I've detracted from your post.

For me Mt Ainslie is the toughest, no respite and the gradient increases as you climb the mountain. Keeps you honest!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Not at all. Appreciate the clarification coming from someone else. Interesting about Warren on other forums. Good insight.

It seems we find Ainslie the same. I like Black Mt the most, but the climb up Mt Majura is best for view and safety (no cars).

cog_nition

Postby cog_nition » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Rode Redhill, Ainslie, Black Mountain and Stromlo today...confirmed that yes Ainslie definitely hardest. By comparison I quite enjoyed Black Mountain, slight changes in gradient and flatter sections in second half give you a nice change. As for decents, well Black mountain definitely gets my tick, great surface, corners, make it alot more fun.

Zac150

Postby Zac150 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I think the below info has been posted before on this site (about 12 months ago). A google search on Canberra Hill Gradients will bring up a couple of sites. I believe all of these are measured using a garmin bike computer.

Climb Elevation Distance Avg Gradient Max Gradient
AWM 34 0.875 3.89%
Uriarra Crossing East 41 1.235 3.32%
Tidbinbilla Tracking Station 76 1.655 4.59%
Federal hwy 81 2.490 3.25%
Mt Pleasant 80.871 1.600 5.05% 9.70%
Coppins Crossing 87 1.495 5.82% 10.26%
Stockdill Dr (Poo Hill) 93 2.265 4.11%
Googong Dam 98 1.495 6.56% 10.53%
Redhill 105 1.695 6.19%
Pierce’s Creek 108 1.140 9.47%
Mt Tennant 109 2.830 3.85% 11.11%
Erindale Dr 114 2.735 4.17% 5.88%
Smith’s Gap 120 1.350 8.89% 15.79%
QBN 128 2.250 5.69% 10.34%
Three Sisters 129 2.335 5.52%
Condor Creek 130 3.265 3.98%
Mt McDonald 140 3.475 4.03%
Old Federal Hwy 149 4.390 3.39%
Wallaroo 163 4.025 4.05%
Mt Stromlo 17 3.940 4.34% 8.43%
Monaro Hwy, Theodore 175 4.565 3.83% 6.50%
Old Cooma Road 182 4.180 4.35%
Mt Ainslie 234 3.235 7.23% 12.99%
Black Mountain 236 2.625 8.99% 13.00%
Mt Majura 236 2.775 8.50%
Honeysuckle Creek\Apollo Rd 467 8.420 5.55% 20%
Corin Dam 530 11.210 4.73%

Based on raw numbers it is hard to split Ainslie from Black Mtn & Majura, Ainslie is longer but has a slightly lower average gradient. Which is harder? I guess it comes down to the day or me, some times I find the tough start of Black Mtn takes it out of the legs, Ainslie on the other hand just keeps getting harder the further into the climb which is tough but some days the easier start of Ainslie lets you get in the groove. Tough call.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:39 pm

I vote Ainslie the hardest. Just because of the last section before the summit. Only the presence of walkers, cars, and pride stops me from walking!

Having said that all climbs are hard for me now ... with weak creaking knees ... need more base building before even tackling any decent climbs.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:55 pm

So glad this thread got back on track. Just moved to canberra, and hit black mountain and mt ainslie so far (thanks to the info in this thread). Gotta say mt ainslie was the hardest for me, black mountain has those flat spots which help. Both are pretty awkward climbs though, I struggle with the ~15 minute efforts. They remind me of mt coot-tha in brisbane. As for the view at the top and the funnest descent, mt ainslie wins hands down for most worthwhile climb.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Best view would be Mt Majura IMO.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Ross wrote:Best view would be Mt Majura IMO.
Agree - it's just a PITA to get to.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Ross wrote:Best view would be Mt Majura IMO.
Awesome thanks, looks like Majura is next on my hit list. Will check it out on the weekend. Any other similar worthwhile climbs, should I just work through the biggest ones on that list Zaca put up?

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 am

so where can I found the steepest but short (50 to 100m) climbs in inner north?
Closest to my place in O'Connor that I know is probably Quandong Street turn off to Yapunyah Street (near Miller St/MacArthur Ave).
Always like to add this as part of the commute back home.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 2,,0,24.34