Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

marinmomma

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:10 pm

We enjoyed our ride on the KBB so much that we're planning on heading back again on the weekend but aimming for Redcliffe this time.

Weather prediction is for sunny fine weather over the entire weekend....perfect!
Lisa

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:11 pm

MountGower wrote:Something some of you may be interested in. Evans Cycles have SKS mudguards delivered for $49.
Or, alternatively, one could take Sandgate road to Sandgate instead of the bikepath - the road is not that bad on a Sunday morning and has a bike lane or a wide shoulder for the most of it. After getting to Sandgate one could continue as usual to Brighton, Redcliffe and beyond...

Getting to Sandgate using the bike path is about twice longer (which is a good thing, of course), but those wooden slippery parts just freak me out, splashing the bike with salt water makes me feel bad and the slow wiggly bit through the wetlands is kinda boring...

Redcliffe caffes are just as good as the Nudgee one :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:56 am

RepcoMonaco wrote:
MountGower wrote:Something some of you may be interested in. Evans Cycles have SKS mudguards delivered for $49.
Or, alternatively, one could take Sandgate road to Sandgate instead of the bikepath - the road is not that bad on a Sunday morning and has a bike lane or a wide shoulder for the most of it. After getting to Sandgate one could continue as usual to Brighton, Redcliffe and beyond...

Getting to Sandgate using the bike path is about twice longer (which is a good thing, of course), but those wooden slippery parts just freak me out, splashing the bike with salt water makes me feel bad and the slow wiggly bit through the wetlands is kinda boring...

Redcliffe caffes are just as good as the Nudgee one :mrgreen:
So a halvsy? Follow the bike track to Toombull and then jump onto Sandgate road. For me the bike path is better on the outbound side ... and come home via the wetlands?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 am

I rode the wetlands this morning. There are still puddles and muddy areas. :(

The bikeway itself is clean though right to Nudgee road.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:04 am

Comedian wrote:I rode the wetlands this morning. There are still puddles and muddy areas. :(

The bikeway itself is clean though right to Nudgee road.

Thanks for the update, I'm planning a long(ish) ride on Sunday, pleased to know that the path through the wetlands is open. :D
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Dammit.. after that storm KBB from Lutwyche Road to Stafford is a mess of mud and puddles. And wouldn't you know it - I'm riding the bike without the awsome mudguards so I'm covered in CRAP!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:20 pm

It should be fine tomorrow, so hopefully it will dry out a bit before Saturday...the northside must have copped another hammering today, I work at Mt Gravatt and all we had was a bit of rain.
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:44 pm

I went from Stafford to the criterion. Lots of puddles were drying, but there were still some deep puddles on the track.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Rode the KBB through the wetlands and continued over to Redcliffe this morning.

There are a few puddles left on the KBB and a couple of bigger ones through the wetlands, the worst one is nearer the Bondall end...as we approached it on our outbound ride someone had just come off and landed in the drink so we had a good ends up with this one...kinda get's you with short notice on the inbound approach!

A great way to notch up a 90k ride, wishing that I'd had enough in the tank for the century :(
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:07 pm

marinmomma wrote:Rode the KBB through the wetlands and continued over to Redcliffe this morning.

There are a few puddles left on the KBB and a couple of bigger ones through the wetlands, the worst one is nearer the Bondall end...as we approached it on our outbound ride someone had just come off and landed in the drink so we had a good ends up with this one...kinda get's you with short notice on the inbound approach!

A great way to notch up a 90k ride, wishing that I'd had enough in the tank for the century :(
Youch to falling into the puddles. :(

I rode it too this morning with the BBTA. :)

Might go to Redcliffe tomorrow. ;)

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 pm

marinmomma wrote:Rode the KBB through the wetlands and continued over to Redcliffe this morning.

We rode that route to Redcliffe and found them okay. Just got the bike a little wet. We rode from 8 Mile Plains and ended up doing 145km. Couldn't have asked for better weather.

Dave

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Dave thats a huge ride, how where the legs coming home? Gaza Rd hill would be a huge ask after almost 140k!! (for me anyway)
Lisa

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:06 pm

marinmomma wrote:Dave thats a huge ride, how where the legs coming home? Gaza Rd hill would be a huge ask after almost 140k!! (for me anyway)
Funny you should ask, we pushed to see how much we had left in the tank to get up the hill and we started at 20kph and topped out at 26kph. Heart rate wouldn't go anymore :)
We were commenting we should have done another 15km's to make up the imperial century.

We are doing the 160km ride from Byron bay to Gold Coast on Nov 14th and at the 140km is Mt Tomewin (300mtr +) climb. That will kill us :)

cheers

Dave

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 am

From the Bris CBD bug page.

Kedron Brook Bikeway — McDowall Bridge, South Pine Road

Bikeway repair work under the bridge on South Pine Road will commence on 12 November and is scheduled for 3 days. The work will involve changing the camber on the pathway so that water drains to the creek.

Traffic Controllers will assist cyclists and pedestrians through the work zone.

Please slow down as you approach the area.

Kedron Brook Bikeway — Lighting installation

Poles for solar powered lighting will be progressively installed along Kedron Brook Bikeway from Bradshaw Road to South Pine Road from 08 November. It is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Work will be undertaken during weekdays and Traffic Controllers will be used to assist users through the work zone. Signs and witches hats will also advise users of the work locations as they proceed along the bikeway.

For further information, please call Brisbane City Works on 3403 8888.

Kedron Brook Bikeway Reconstruction — Teralba Park, Everton Park

The Kedron Brook shared pathway from Osbourne Road to Burwood Road will be reconstructed to a 3 metre wide pathway. The work will commence in mid August and take approximately 4 weeks.

Cyclists and pedestrians will be progressively directed around the sections under reconstruction. Signage and fencing will be in place during the work.

Cyclists and pedestrians are advised to exercise caution when using the pathway or detouring around the work areas.

For further information, please call Allan Rimmer (Brisbane City Works) on 0417 075 333.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:18 pm

I rode this all the way this morning. Apart from a couple of tiny pools on the path around Lutwyche it's all clear. Even the wetlands is dry. :D

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:30 pm

current status: slightly damp

Max

Postby Max » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:58 pm

:shock:

Tonight's storm really nailed our place. Water leaked through all our windows and under the front door. :( Of all of the things that could've crossed my mind after that storm, the first thing I thought was "I reckon my new panniers could've withstood that!" :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:29 pm

lethoso wrote:current status: slightly damp

Wohoo! At 4pm it was nearly over the banks near Webster road so looks like it made it!

Looks like another week of crappy commuting :(

Max

Postby Max » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:08 am

Comedian, I'm so glad you showed me that route at the back of Alderley. It completely bypasses all of that mess. I'll try to get out today to see if the water's receded any.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 am

Went through there yesterday after the HPRW Nundah crit & it was flowing nicely & relatively low. Was going to head along to Nudgee a bit later on the ss roadie, but might opt for the Bunya forest instead. We don't mind a bit of slush although when it reaches the axles I find my feet get a little damp.

Maybe one of these pedal boats would do the trick.

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:42 am

Max wrote:Comedian, I'm so glad you showed me that route at the back of Alderley. It completely bypasses all of that mess. I'll try to get out today to see if the water's receded any.

Max
And it's got hills! I love the hills! :oops: :oops:

Max

Postby Max » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Oxford, those are great links, thanks for that!

RE the fish - pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Max

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Oxford wrote:
mmm yummy. See you down there this evening. I'll bring the chips.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks Oxford... this thread delivers! :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Well Max and I went for a ride along Kedron Brook this morning, in the rain :shock: We made it from the start right through to Nudgee Road. It was impassable at Gympie Road. We had to go over the bridge and around it. I wouldn't say it's impassable in general but it's generally quite yuk :o Apparently Max hax to ride over crank depth water at the bridge near Stafford City.

As you can see it wouldn't take much more rain for it to break it's banks again.