Crit racing at Stromlo

vinvin

Crit racing at Stromlo

Postby vinvin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Anyone doing it? I went along to watch on Wednesday and was really impressed. Not saying I am game enough to enter though I'd love to...

phunculist

Re: Crit racing at Stromlo

Postby phunculist » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:02 pm

I had my first ever race on Wednesday, in E grade. It was pretty fast but good fun. I'm looking forward to the next one.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:50 pm

just wondering, how do one get involved in crit racing for the summer? i guess a racing license to start off, but anything else?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:39 pm

+1 on Eric's question. I've always been interested but never known how to go about it i.e. getting practice riding in bunches, the does and don't etc
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:05 pm

I race at the crits. I'm in E grade, so no professional, but here's my input.

First rule - Do it! Don't make excuses. I wish I had started 5 years ago.

You need a CA licence to race. You need to do this via a club. You can't just sign up to a licence. The two clubs in Canberra are Vikings or Canberra Cycling Club. Which one you join is much of a muchness. Have a look at their sites and see which one has more training sessions that align with your timetable etc. You can also get a single or 3-ride licence if you just want to try it out. You can upgrade to a full licence and have the 3-ride fee taken off the price, so you don't lose out.

Other than that, you need a serviceable road bike (drop bar) and AUS standard helmet.

Turn up on the day with your licence and get put on the database and away you go.

As for training. Bunch rides will help you learn to be around people but it's too regulated to give that crit feel, as it can get pretty hairy bumping elbows, surrounded by 20 other people, but other than a base level of fitness, the only way to learn is to race. You can't build up your race-craft without racing.

Do: Hold your line (don't cut corners. Move around the corner in the same position you enter it)
Put your all into it (You'll kick yourself every time you don't, knowing that you could've put that extra bit in)

Don't: Cut people off
Be in the way if you are lapped (get off the race line then pull off at the start/finish)

I honestly don't think there's much more to it then that.

BR

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:26 pm

I might head out some wednesday to have a look.

Crit looks very very interesting from all the info out there.

To start off probably will get a 3-race pass to try it out for fun.

What's the E grade average by the way?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 pm

If you are old enough you can also race with the Vets. Males will have to be 35 by the end of 2011, females 30 in order to join. The ACTVCC also goes down to G grade so there is something for everyone.

http://www.actvets.cc/html/main.html

AVCC licences and membership is cheaper than the Cycling Australia affiliated clubs. The ACTVCC race at Stromlo on Tuesday nights the Queanbeyan velodrome (road bikes as well) on Thursday nights and road racing scattered around the Territory and nearby NSW on Sunday mornings.

However you plan on getting involved, just do it. Crits are a great way to start racing.

Cheers,

Cameron

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:06 am

yyeric wrote:What's the E grade average by the way?
Week 1 was 39km/hr
Week 2 was 37.5km/hr.

Don't be deceived though. Yes, it's fast, but it's a fairly flat track designed for racing and you spend 95% of the race drafting others. You may get dropped the first couple of races, but after you get a feel for the riding and the track you'll be fine.

Also, it's only 15-20 mins.

BR

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 am

What's the apprendiz average? :|

nescius

Postby nescius » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:29 am

I've been thinking about it for a while, so I'm going to rock up on Wednesday night and give it a go. I know a few people who have raced and they all say it's great fun. I have never entered any sort of cycling race, and I don't have much bunch riding experience because I train either solo or with my brother, so I'm a little apprehensive and don't really know what to expect. I'm pretty sure I'll like it, I quite like competition and I like to ride fast :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:50 am

Maybe a few of us could meet up and give e grade a crack together so we don't all feel like noobs :P

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:38 am

HAKS wrote:Maybe a few of us could meet up and give e grade a crack together so we don't all feel like noobs :P
my thought exactly. can't make it this wednesday though. :(
Anyone wants to give it a crack on 10 Nov?

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am

vinvin wrote:What's the apprendiz average? :|
E grade = apprendiz

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:09 pm

yyeric wrote:
HAKS wrote:Maybe a few of us could meet up and give e grade a crack together so we don't all feel like noobs :P
Sounds good :)

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Awesome, only thing to sort out is to get an Aussie standard helmet for the race. :)
Quite looking forward to getting drop.

MaximumINC

Postby MaximumINC » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm in for being part of the noob group :) Nov 10 suits, just need to sort license etc out.

Is it a mixed event or are there womens races that are separate?

2007 Scott CR1 Team
2001 Merida 905 Magnesium
2009 Merida Matts TFS 900 - aka... the dirty one!

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:48 pm

MaximumINC wrote:I'm in for being part of the noob group :) Nov 10 suits, just need to sort license etc out.
I was planning to get a 3-race pass on the day. from VCC website, it seems people can get these kind of pass on the spot. Can someone confirm?

Ta

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:18 pm

$44 for a 3race permit from the CCC website :)

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:21 pm

LOL, excellent idea. But I think I have something else on the 10th so it might be this week or never :shock:

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 pm

Further to Wednesday's crit, SUPER CRIT Thursdays seem exciting too!

off Viking website: http://www.vikingscycling.org.au/events ... IntCatId=3

Womens C and Mens F grade (AT) 6pm
C, D and E grade (AT) 6:30pm
(45 to 60 minutes of racing)
8 week series with pointscore
$5 entry or $35 for the full series entry

more link

Looks like MF will be another good opportunity for noobs like myself too!

cjawnik

Postby cjawnik » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 pm

I'll have to spin by and take a look because it sounds like a lot of fun.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Don't bother trying unless you are running a decent (grippy) tyre. Under-steering into other riders through the tight corners is an unfriendly act.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:39 pm

HAKS wrote:
yyeric wrote:
Sounds good :)
Count me in too! (Hopefully I'll at least get out to have a look tomorrow, not sure I want to race if it's wet given my lack of bunch riding/racing experience :oops: )
twizzle wrote:Don't bother trying unless you are running a decent (grippy) tyre. Under-steering into other riders through the tight corners is an unfriendly act.
I have a set of Continental GP4000s on at the moment, are they ok? Or should I get some full on slicks or something? Do you have a racing specific tyre recommendation?

Can anyone tell me what time the racing starts? The website says 5pm, but is that when registration opens or when people are actually on the track? The website also says something about rotating times for all grades (excluding juniors) this year, but it doesn't say anything about what time the races actually begin. I suppose I'll fire off an email to CCC this evening because they are probably the best people to answer these sorts of questions :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:49 pm

nescius wrote:
twizzle wrote:Don't bother trying unless you are running a decent (grippy) tyre. Under-steering into other riders through the tight corners is an unfriendly act.
I have a set of Continental GP4000s on at the moment, are they ok? Or should I get some full on slicks or something? Do you have a racing specific tyre recommendation?
GP4000 is a race tyre.

Trivia : Michelin Pro3 Race outsells the Michelin Krylion Carbon training tyre by 10:1. Do people race 10 times as many k's as they train? :roll:

(I can't really speak - I use a GP 4-Season as the rear tyre for training as it's very puncture resistant, but at $129 RRP it's an expensive training tyre if you buy them in Aus.).
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:13 pm

It turns out I wasn't looking hard enough, race start times are here, tomorrow night Apprendiz starts at 7:13 which suits me, whereas next week it starts at 5:15 which is not quite as good but may still be doable.
twizzle wrote:GP4000 is a race tyre.
Cool, I hope they carry me to victory 8)