Rear wheel keeps falling off!!

Cap'n Gus Bloodbeard

Rear wheel keeps falling off!!

Postby Cap'n Gus Bloodbeard » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:42 am

Hey guys, I've only just found this forum.

Anyway, I'm in the process of repairing my old hardtail MTB - it's sorta been sitting out in the rain for about 6 years :P

Anyway, I'm getting there...gotta shorten my new chain (keeps jumping), need a new set of pedals and some new brakes (I pulled the front ones off and promptly lost them)...new tyres....anyway, problem I'm having is that the rear wheel....well, it comes off after riding a rather short distance. I'm sure it's a fairly simple problem, but with my nearly zero experience in bicycle maintenance I have absolutely no idea what it is! I am using quickrelease hubs, if that's a problem - but it isn't releasing, it's like the whole thing is just unbolting as I'm riding.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:58 am

I'm having trouble imagining what's happening. As I understand it, your quick release skewer is loosening as you ride.

First, make sure the wheel is going in properly. If it's catching up on something, you might think the quick release is tight only to have it loosen as you start to ride.

Second, do it up tighter - they don't need to be pulled really tight but if this one is on the way out, maybe it does need to be.

Third, take it to the lbs and ask them to have a look - it could be the quick release is just stuffed.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Rear wheel keeps falling off!!

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:34 pm

Cap'n Gus Bloodbeard wrote:Hey guys, I've only just found this forum.

Anyway, I'm in the process of repairing my old hardtail MTB - it's sorta been sitting out in the rain for about 6 years :P

Anyway, I'm getting there...gotta shorten my new chain (keeps jumping), need a new set of pedals and some new brakes (I pulled the front ones off and promptly lost them)...new tyres....anyway, problem I'm having is that the rear wheel....well, it comes off after riding a rather short distance. I'm sure it's a fairly simple problem, but with my nearly zero experience in bicycle maintenance I have absolutely no idea what it is! I am using quickrelease hubs, if that's a problem - but it isn't releasing, it's like the whole thing is just unbolting as I'm riding.
G'day Cap'n,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure "shortening the chain" will help you with the skipping chain - skipping gears is not a symptom of a chain which is too long. It usually indicates either a worn cassette (aka rear cluster) or a poorly adjusted derailleur. My first guess is the cassette, since you should replace both the chain and the cassette at the same time. However, given the bike has been weathering for a few years, it would not surprise me in the least to find out the cable for the derailleur is jammed. (Go to this page on the Park Tools web site to find out how long the chain should be.)

Regarding the wheel coming off, I think you have not done it up tightly enough. Start by setting the finger nut on the other side of the QR to as tight as you can with your fingers while the lever is sticking straight out from the frame, then push the lever into the frame, tightening it the rest of the way. The correct tightness will be about half a turn of the finger nut in either direction (play with it to find out which way).

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:41 pm

these may help
http://www.robertscycle.com/qr.html
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=56 - about 2/3 down the page - Installing Wheel on Bike

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:22 pm

If the QR lever doesn't leave an impression in your palm, it's too loose.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

5 Star Rolf

QR blues...

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:43 pm

...could be a broken axle..rusted and snapped centrally where you cant see it.
As you ride it probably turns over its cracked part, reduces in size momentarilly and renders the qr useless at that point, - 'voila', - wheel is out...Its another possibility but a long shot.
Ride safe, cheers 5*R :wink: