Bikestyle Tours

chris641

Bikestyle Tours

Postby chris641 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Hello good people.

Looking at going over to the TDF in 2011 with Bikestyle Tours to do a week in the Alps or Pyrenees. Was wondering if anyone has ever toured with them before/heard any good or bad things about them?

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers, Chris
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

nrcd

Re: Bikestyle Tours

Postby nrcd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:57 pm

I would be interested in this as well. I have just paid a deposit for a 2011 tour, and am keen to hear any feedback before I commit.

Thanks

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:03 pm

How much does a week tour cost?.
Make sure you do the Alpes...sure to go up Alpe D'Huez next year :D .

chris641

Postby chris641 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 am

It varies depending on if you want a VIP package etc etc... i think around 3000 for a basic one but up to 6... or you can do the whole tour for around 12!
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Are you able to do a day or two?

We won a trip to Paris last night at a dinner for the Invincibles of 48, and have got the accomodation set to align with the finish of the tdf. 400m from the Eiffel tower. :D

Are the bikestyle tours worthwhile?
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

nrcd

Postby nrcd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:10 am

Despite the lack of any feedback, I am committed to doing the Pyrenees to Podium tour. It looks great, and I am quite excited about it - just have to do the training now so I can get the most out of the riding. I was very much tossing up between this tour and the "Final 14 Days" tour, but I am traveling on my own and wanted to lock in a single room, and there was only single availability on this trip so in the end the decision was easy. I will do a review of it next July.

DaveoAU

Postby DaveoAU » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Look forward to your review. I'd love to do something similar in 2013.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:29 pm

chris641 wrote:It varies depending on if you want a VIP package etc etc... i think around 3000 for a basic one but up to 6... or you can do the whole tour for around 12!
Bloody hell!...12K for 3 weeks...maybe I should put some racks on the Renault :D .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:33 am

Did you book?...I may be joining you :D .

nrcd

Postby nrcd » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, it may be a bit late, but here is my review of the Bikestyle Pyrenees to Podium tour.

Fantastic!

What a year to go to France. Go Cadel. The tour itself was well organised, and I really liked all of our tour guides. The quality of the hotels was above my expectations, and the logistics and bus travel was well executed. The riding was just fantastic, ticking off most of the iconic climbs that I wanted to do: Luz Ardiden, Tourmalet, Solour, Aubisque, Ventoux, Alpe d'Hues, Telegraphe and Galibier, Col de la Madeleine. But the highlight was probably getting to ride the Grenoble time trial course on the morning of the race (at 6am) - it was a hard course, with the two climbs much harder than I had expected. And it was pretty special to be in Paris and sing the national anthem with Tina.

So, I can highly recommend these guys for anyone wanting to see the Tour and do some great riding.

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:52 am

nrcd wrote: But the highlight was probably getting to ride the Grenoble time trial course on the morning of the race (at 6am) - it was a hard course, with the two climbs much harder than I had expected.
And your time was????? :D

roller

Postby roller » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 pm

nrcd wrote:The riding was just fantastic, ticking off most of the iconic climbs that I wanted to do: Luz Ardiden, Tourmalet, Solour, Aubisque, Ventoux, Alpe d'Hues, Telegraphe and Galibier, Col de la Madeleine.
sounds like you had a great trip, very jealous.

was wondering what sort of training did to prepare yourself to conquer these climbs. . .and how did you fair?
inflammatory statement or idea

nrcd

Bikestyle Tours

Postby nrcd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:22 pm

We took about twice as long to get around as the pros, not that we were racing. It was also hugely wet and cold when we did it - its lucky it dried out for the race as there would have been some epic crashes otherwise.

In terms of training, I did about 15 hours cycling (mainly hills) for about 4 months before I went, with my usual 5-10 hours a week before that. I think this was enough and none of the rides defeated me. I am not the worlds best athlete, but there were other less fit riders who made all the climbs, it's just a matter of the pace you ride them. If I went again, I would aim for the same sort of preparation.

Anyone thinking about this sort of trip - just book and go for it.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 pm

nrcd wrote:In terms of training, I did about 15 hours cycling (mainly hills) for about 4 months before I went, with my usual 5-10 hours a week before that. .
me again, not sure what you mean by 15 hours cycling (mainly hills). . .

you mean 15 hours a week, mainly hills?
inflammatory statement or idea