Overweight Beginner - What do i do?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Hey All,

This will be my first kind of post and I am hoping on getting into cycling as part of my weight loss regime.

I am a big bloke. 6'4 and around 175kgs.. Yes thats right .. lol

I am loosing weight and doing well at it. But I want to make Cycling part of my weight loss and at some point look at commuting to work.

Problem I have at the moment is that I dont know what kind of bike to buy?

I would prefer a street bike... But im worried about the tyres and the weight they can hold etc..

This is serious bid for me to loose weight so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

foo on patrol

Re: Overweight Beginner - What do i do?

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:19 pm

Welcome Deanoz,

Maybe look at a mountain bike to start with. That way you can go for ride in State forests and not be restricted to the tarmac. :idea:

Good luck with your endeavour to get the weight off. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:49 pm

+1 on the mountain bike. larger range of gears to help out on the hills. stonger frame etc. As for commuting plenty of people use mtbs for commuting including myself, just replace he tyres with slicks if you plan on doing alot of road/bikepath riding

weight loss was my prime motivation for begining cycling. Now that I'm at my recommended BMI my prime motivation for cycling is enjoyment.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:12 pm

Deanoz wrote: I would prefer a street bike... But im worried about the tyres and the weight they can hold etc..

This is serious bid for me to loose weight so any help would be greatly appreciated!
You'll not find a road bike that is rated to take 175 kg. Probably will be hard-pressed to get a MTB with any guarantees on that even.

The topic of bikes for big blokes comes up pretty often here - so try a search. You'll find recommendations on wheel rims and wheel build suitable for heavier riders. You'll probably need a wheel with a 36 spoke count, and possibly should look at a touring bike frame as they a rated to take more payload (rider + 40 kg), which might get closer to your weight range.

Hopefully, your weight will come off quicker than the bike will accumulate too much fatigue stress from the extra weight. Don't forget, at your weight, just walking and maximising incidental exercise can burn up a lot of calories.

Good luck with your plans.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm

go the MTB. do it - change your life.

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:15 am

Have a yarn to your local bike shop too. They will be able to show you what's available and can offer some good advice on selecting the right bike. A good bike shop will let you test a few bikes as well. The important thing is - buy one that you enjoy riding! If you enjoy your ride, you'll really enjoy losing weight!
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:39 am

Deanoz wrote: This will be my first kind of post and I am hoping on getting into cycling as part of my weight loss regime.

Have you considered swimming to assist with your weight loss?
2010 BMC SLC01

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:27 am

A friend of mine is 150kg and the bike shop got him a special super strong wheel after he broke the first one. He hasn't had any problems since other than punctures.

I'd suggest getting puncture resistant tyres if possible.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 am

Hey all.

Thank you so much for prompt replies and help and support!

I have done alot of research at this point i am considering the GIANT XTC 2

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 295/37315/

I do alot of swimming, boxercise, walking, im trying to start with the jogging but baby steps! :)

I am thinking of going for the off road tyre as i can commute to work and also go off road.. and I PLAN TO GET DIIIIIRTTTY! :D hehe

I cant wait! I have even bought the bike rack tow bar for the car..

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:22 pm

yeah be careful with jogging, brisk walking is better ;) notice on the Biggest Loser there are lots of injuries that happen in that initial stage where everyone is really big... if you keep the impact fairly low to start with it will give your body a chance to adjust to the change in activity levels :)

I say get the MTB, if you have any issues with the wheels then the local bike shop will help you out. When you are fitter you can get a roadie as well ;)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Dean, I will be interested to follow your journey, all the best with it and keep the updates comming .Tim

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Hey Dean

best of luck, do keep us updated.

How are you changing your diet?

Missy

othy

Postby othy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Deanoz wrote:Hey all.

Thank you so much for prompt replies and help and support!

I have done alot of research at this point i am considering the GIANT XTC 2

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 295/37315/

I do alot of swimming, boxercise, walking, im trying to start with the jogging but baby steps! :)

I am thinking of going for the off road tyre as i can commute to work and also go off road.. and I PLAN TO GET DIIIIIRTTTY! :D hehe

I cant wait! I have even bought the bike rack tow bar for the car..

Looks like a nice bike (I don't know much about mountain bikes). I purchased a Giant road bike to lose weight and it worked well for me. I think the most important thing is to buy something you want to ride - it really motivates. Having some friends or a club to ride with also helps as it can limit the excuses if people are expecting you to come along. You shouldn't have much trouble finding an XTC2 to test / discuss its suitability with at a local bike shop. Plenty of people stock Giants - they are generally good value.

Good luck. Remember to come back and tell everyone what you ended up getting and how it is going.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:06 pm

Yes, may I suggest this thread? Have a look in there... some of the work done is pretty impressive. I have heard that thread called inspirational. :) Good luck, mate.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... &start=400

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about the bike frame collapsing under your weight... I think you'd have to be a lot heavier before that would happen. (Though perhaps avoid carbon fibre bikes.) The weakest part of a bike in terms of load carrying capacity are the wheels. I'd recommend buying a bike that suits the style of riding you want to do, i.e. a mountain bike for off-road riding, hybrid or flat-bar road bike for path or road riding, and replace the wheels that come with it with some high spoke count handbuilt ones. If you let us know what city you're in, someone may be able to recommend a wheelbuilder, but you'll probably want at least 40 spoke wheels.
- Dave

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 am

Its been less than two weeks and i have lost 5.8kgs..

I FEEL AWESOME!!!

I keep thinking about the bloody price-tag on this giant xtc.. its a little steep.. I found a place selling it for 1500

Should i be buying a cheaper bike and going for a more expensive rim/tyre?

I will be going off road! I cant blood wait! Got the misses into it too!

I live in mascot - Near the airport.. Any wheel makers there?

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:34 am

Deanoz wrote:Its been less than two weeks and i have lost 5.8kgs..

I FEEL AWESOME!!!

I keep thinking about the bloody price-tag on this giant xtc.. its a little steep.. I found a place selling it for 1500

Should i be buying a cheaper bike and going for a more expensive rim/tyre?

I will be going off road! I cant blood wait! Got the misses into it too!

I live in mascot - Near the airport.. Any wheel makers there?
wow that's pretty fast weight loss. Good work.

Don't worry about the price tag :) your health is more important than the cost of a bike and if you buy something cheaper you'll just be thinking "I should ahve got that Giant" a bit later down the track :)
And that's great the wife is into it too, makes getting out there more enjoyable.
2010 BMC SLC01

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Cycling, swimming walking are all great form of exercise for loosing weight and increasing cardio capacity. Be sure to include some weights trainning in your program as well. This will build up muscle bulk which in itself will help shed kgs but also increase your resting metaboilic rate. That means you will burn more calories while you are at rest.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:23 am

Just remember you have to eat to loose weight. You just have to eat the right stuff, at the right times.

Plenty of fresh fruit and veges, yogurt, fish, light pasta/rice dishes with some lean red meat is also good. All tasty food and all good!

I would also stress that you be careful how much you do, you have to work your way up to it. Even a skinny guy like myself can cause injury if my body is used to 5km rides and then I decide to do a 50km ride one day without leading up to it. Just take it easy and work at it.

Swimming is also a really good aerobic exercise, low impact too so your joints wont be under as much strain. I used to surf heaps when I was younger, like 5-6 hours out surfing, and I was super skinny. I am still very slim but all that paddling and swimming really burns the fat.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 am

I really do appreciate all the advice i am getting.

It is good to see there is alot of support out there for a bloke like me..

I actually have changed alot since i started this lifestyle change. From before where i would be going for seconds, thirds per meal and instead of water, having the usual coke or sprite etc.

Now, its like i dont crave any of it. I do eat alot of fruit. I try to stick away from the banana. Eitherway, I have breakky, then mid lunch, then lunch, the mid afternoon and normally when i get home, i go for a long walk when the family is eating dinner.. I get home and im pretty parched, so i end up drinking and then finding myself asleep in bed. I would normally have an apple, or some of the left over salad... The next morning, same process. I wake up wanting to eat breakfast..

This upcomming week is the locked in afternoon workout.
Monday - Walking
Tuesday - Boxercise
Wednesday - Swimming
Thursday - Weights
Friday - Bike Ride :D:D:D OH and i just bought my bike - Its the GIANT XTC 2 2010

I would always ignore the advice people would give me as it was my ego stepping in, but with my wedding and future aspirations to have kids with my fiance, I dont want to be a fat heffa when i take them to the beach and the can outrun me! :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:25 am

Congrats on the new bike. :)

My advice would be to see a dietician as they can help you with what to eat and when.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Deanoz wrote:I would always ignore the advice people would give me as it was my ego stepping in, but with my wedding and future aspirations to have kids with my fiance, I dont want to be a fat heffa when i take them to the beach and the can outrun me! :P
Good on ya mate. Just remember there will be tough times so you have to keep focussed and committed to insure your good health in the long run.

Nice bike too!
Comedian wrote:My advice would be to see a dietician as they can help you with what to eat and when.
Agreed, normally if you were just moderately overweight I would just say to buy a dietary book or do some reading online, but if you're a bigger bloke a visit to see a professional can really give you some good advice and diet suggestions for your bodies needs. As I said before you have to eat to loose weight, lots of people try to just starve themselves which is a bad idea and it will mean your diet becomes a chore and you wont have energy to do exercise.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

bubble

Postby bubble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Good luck Deanoz. Cycling is great for weight loss. I took off 30kg cycling and probably 10kg from the gym (125kg to 85kg 6'2). Cycling I found was easier epsecially if you commute to work. It builds an exercise routine into your day without having to think about it. Going to the gym was good but I was often demotivated after work. Cycling made me feel great at work, helped with the moody blues and I slept better at night.

Personally i have never enjoyed mountain biking much, more of a road person. However I have a mate who chocked off the pounds struggling up the hills on a mountain bike:P

LBS can make sure you have a strong back wheel, which i recommend as I became the 'spokeman' at the lbs. At the start I broke so many spokes from having the wrong wheel for my size at the time.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Fantastic result so far Deanoz.

Take it easy too mon. Forget the jogging for a while; too much chance of damage at this stage imo.
Get the better bike unless you really can't afford it. You'll have it long after the price disappears from memory.

"Train hard. Rest harder."
Dunno who said it; doesn't matter. They're smarter than me. And it's true.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm struggling lately with my health issues (again!) but you just got me on the bike mate. I hope I'm not throwing a leg over too soon, but the lack of anything and weight gain since my op 2 weeks ago has really had me in the dumps. Need endorphins.
Love you're work!