Malvern Star Conversion

.isaac.

Malvern Star Conversion

Postby .isaac. » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:34 am

Hello,

I have been wanting to do a conversion for a long time now but couldn't find a bike. I recently found one and am going to be taking it apart in the next few weeks. I just have to work out what wheel-set, chain and crank-set to get and I'm done...almost. I think I might pick up a few parts at the next bicycle swap meet in melbourne. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me when it is and where to find out about them? Anyway, heres the bike.
DSC_0146
Painting it white. Then trying to make as many components as possible black or silver. Im hoping to get a cheap wheel-set, possibly Weinmanns. Thats about it for now.

Now: Image
DSC_0331_2 (Go to page 8 for more pics!)
Last edited by .isaac. on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stovepipe

Re: Malvern Star Conversion

Postby Stovepipe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:57 am

Dont do it! plain white bikes are borrrrrrrring. leave it original or make your own stickets up or something

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:43 am

I think white bikes are cool and clean though and I already bought the spray...

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:50 am

Stovepipe wrote:Dont do it! plain white bikes are borrrrrrrring. leave it original or make your own stickets up or something
Are you calling this boring? Image
Last edited by .isaac. on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 am

plain white bikes are awesome, if done correctly. However that Malvern Star has some potential as is. You should be trying to learn about the function of the bike before the aesthetics anyway.

Just had a better look at your photo. You are going to need 27 inch wheels, not 700c. Those long drop brakes are already setup at the max pad distance, so another stretch to 700c wheels is going to be pushing it to the max. Also, those brakes will flex like wet noodles, so braking power will be compromised. You want braking power if it is going to be a single speed, and ESPECIALLY so if it is going to be a fixed gear bike.

27 inch frames are plentiful on the second hand market, but for conversions they can be a bit of a nightmare. You'll learn this soon enough.

If you don't know what any of the stuff I am talking about means, go have a look at Sheldon Brown's website. He knows (or knew, more correctly).

Good luck with the build, one word of advice though.... ask for build advice on here, not on fixed.org.au. They'll eat a youngster like you alive... ALIVE I TELL YOU!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:15 am

ciaran wrote:Good luck with the build, one word of advice though.... ask for build advice on here, not on fixed.org.au. They'll eat a youngster like you alive... ALIVE I TELL YOU!
Too late!

If they are 27" wheels, then measure the required brake reach with a 700c. This could really make or break your project. I've got a pair of these Miche calipers on a 27" bike so I can use 700c if I want, and they're OK. I wouldnt want them any longer though.

Jim

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:17 am

familyguy wrote:
ciaran wrote:Good luck with the build, one word of advice though.... ask for build advice on here, not on fixed.org.au. They'll eat a youngster like you alive... ALIVE I TELL YOU!
Too late!

If they are 27" wheels, then measure the required brake reach with a 700c. This could really make or break your project. I've got a pair of these Miche calipers on a 27" bike so I can use 700c if I want, and they're OK. I wouldnt want them any longer though.

Jim
Oooh, just saw that. He copped the wrath of xbrendanx.

Seriously evilgenius, until you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of track bikes and such, be a Milford man on the fixed forums (seen and not heard). It's not that they're bad blokes (in fact they are tops), but they are just tired of noobs coming on and trashing the joint with inane questions.

You clearly have a lot of enthusiasm for building a bike, but instead of asking heaps of questions on forums and expecting good quality answers try to seek the answer yourself from the intarwebs, I can guarantee it's in there somewhere.

Best o' luck mate.

EDIT - the encyclopaedic bit came out wrong. Its not like everyone on there knows everything about track bikes and stuff, but they have a basic working knowledge of whats what and seem to smash anyone who doesn't, even though they were once in the exact same place you are right now.

nathann

Postby nathann » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm

I used 700c on my 27" frame. It's okay but not ideal.
And it worked alright cause I don't have brakes.
But yeah, just a question, is there anyway to tell what size wheels a frame takes by looking at it?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:14 pm

nathann wrote:But yeah, just a question, is there anyway to tell what size wheels a frame takes by looking at it?
Im not sure if their is or not but I know now that I need some 27"'s since the wheels are so close to the frame. Anyone know where to get a pair of these? I've been looking round and cant find any! Oh yeah, and about that fixed.org site, I think Brendan is just a Mod that likes to lock threads... I don't care if this gets me banned cause quite frankly I think that I should be allowed to have my say without being told off by Mods. And even if I do make a mistake or answer something incorrectly I think that I should be told in the thread not in a PM after the threads been locked. Thats how you learn!
EDIT- Looked back at this post after a while and decided that I was talking rot.
Last edited by .isaac. on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathann

Postby nathann » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:49 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Thats how you learn!
Or use the interwebs and read around like forums without posting as ciaran said.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Yeah, I know. Now... 27" Wheelset anyone?

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:27 pm

EvilGenius wrote:I don't care if this gets me banned cause quite frankly I think that I should be allowed to have my say without being told off by Mods. And even if I do make a mistake or answer something incorrectly I think that I should be told in the thread not in a PM after the threads been locked. Thats how you learn!
I think people are saying you should learn a bit more before smashing every thread with your "advice" or requests cos its mega annoying (note post count/join date compared to others). do this by doing searches on the forum and google, and reading before starting new threads or filling others with obvious questions.
and it's probably a good idea to lay off the advice for other fixie newbies until you've got your own fixed gear bike and have ridden it for a while. would you want fishing hot tips from a man whos never fished before?
just learn from reading and trying things out yourself
Last edited by Stovepipe on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Sure thing.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 am

I managed to scrub the paint off the fork so its completley chrome now, gonna leave it like that. Striped the whole bike.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:49 am

Scrubbed with what? Surely you mean sanded carefully and with patience 8) ?

Have you managed to see if a 700c wheel will over-reach your brakes yet?

Jim

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:36 pm

I scrubbed it carefully off with WD-40 and a small wire wool. The 700c will fit yes and I am in the process of sanding the frame down (steel).

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:48 am

EvilGenius wrote:I scrubbed it carefully off with WD-40 and a small wire wool.
It isn't scratched. Anyway, I took my bike down to Sasha (Pony Bikes) who kindly said she will take the crankset, BB, Chain (Hanging off the rear triangle) and Headset out for me. I could have removed the Headset myself if I had a spanner that extended 1cm wider. Before I gave it to Sasha to work on I started to sand down the top tube. Lookin good so far.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Got Sasha to strip the whole bike down for me. Carrying the frame + parts back home was quite a task... Also while I was picking my frame up I bought a KMC (White) BMX chain for my SS/Fixie. Going to buy some Alex G6000's and possibly a set of Tektro Long Reach Brakes if my original brakes don't fit them (I think they will). Then a crankset, possibly Origin 8. Sasha also told me that my frame had a type of BB that you couldn't buy anymore, so I have to use that one.

nathann

Postby nathann » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 pm

But Alex G6000's have non-machined surfaces?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Really? Oh... then I guess I'll be getting something else then... sorry.

nathann

Postby nathann » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 am

Well, you can use brakes on non-machined surfaces (I read that somewhere) but probably not recommended...

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:20 am

Yep, One of my friends do, but for now I think I will stick with Machined braking surface. I'm investigating Weinmann (dp18).

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:30 pm

You said previosly that you knew a lot about bikes. You didn'tknow how to unlink a chain?

|nick|

Postby |nick| » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:18 pm

I got alex g6000 on my fixie and use brakes with them. Also considered the weinmann's but the g6000's sell for such a great price at the moment. Braking on the non machined surfaces gives an epic squeal sometimes but the braking is still sufficient. My friends wheels "machined" themselves over time so for me, I had no problems buying the g6000's

nathann

Postby nathann » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:57 am

|nick| wrote:I got alex g6000 on my fixie and use brakes with them. Also considered the weinmann's but the g6000's sell for such a great price at the moment. Braking on the non machined surfaces gives an epic squeal sometimes but the braking is still sufficient. My friends wheels "machined" themselves over time so for me, I had no problems buying the g6000's
Yeah, they're quite good value. But squealing? That can't be too good! Does it leave marks on your rims?