goneriding

Re: safecyclingaustralia.org jersey design finalised ish

Postby goneriding » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:35 pm

@womble - Who says car companies won't sponsor cycling

Big step in the right direction!

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Honda is big intor cycling, they also sponsor the Honda Dream Team headed up by Rochelle Gilmore.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Honda also have a relationship with the AGF.
I'm hoping a bigger brand will jump onboard at this end. Shhh!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:44 pm

opps. Just read the article :roll:

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Has anyone heard from Chris?

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

I had emails from him this morning

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Hmmm

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 pm

It could have been yesterday, I've bene unproductive work wise recently

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:03 pm

unproductive = a wrist slap via email? Tisk tisk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

safecyclingaustralia.org jersey design finalised ish

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

I am around. Busy.
Saw your pm wobble and will look a little later.
Cycling is in my BNA

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:28 pm

*womble

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Missy24 wrote:Honda is big intor cycling, they also sponsor the Honda Dream Team headed up by Rochelle Gilmore.
Skoda are also a sponsor of cycling - big time :mrgreen:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Honda is big intor cycling, they also sponsor the Honda Dream Team headed up by Rochelle Gilmore.
Skoda are also a sponsor of cycling - big time :mrgreen:
Forgot that one ... Nice

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:47 pm

*into

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:48 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I am around. Busy.
Saw your pm wobble and will look a little later.
I kind of lost the questions you needed answered :mrgreen:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:05 am

Cool... sent via PM. For the interest of others - it is a clarification of details for the jersey, exactly what goes where. What info do we have, what is uncertain.
Cycling is in my BNA

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:58 pm

I like this idea I am up for 1 for sure. The meter matters in text is a good idea. We cyclists will catch on quick but non cyclists may need more info. In SA last year something similar was on the Ride for Amy jerseys possibly have a look at what was done there.
also I think more yellow than black to stand out in shadows and low light, and black absorbs heat so it may be a bit too warm in the summer months

Bill
Last edited by liamb on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:45 pm

The Womble wrote:Supercheap would secure the Bogan vote :mrgreen:
:roll: (ignoring the comment which shows little understanding of Supercheap's actual core customer profile) This is not necessarily as silly as it sounds. The Super Cheap Auto Group owns Super Cheap Auto and Goldcross Cycles, which covers both sides of your campaign (cyclists and drivers). Super Cheap Auto also has their CARMA campaign for road safety in partnership with driversafety.com.au. Who knows whether they would go for it, but there's only one way to find out, right? **

Re jersey design, FWIW, I agree with the argument for dropping the period and adding spacing (but not neccesarily the way it was put forward). A metre matters ties in well with the AGF campaign (which already has good coverage, a lot of jerseys out there). Thanks mate is a poor choice IMO - I personally like it but you risk alienating people with it.

As for the colours, the black base is not necessarily a bad thing. The yellow colour sends the message. The message is the logo, not the jersey. As such, I think the design with the yellow logo black jersey sends your specific 1m message (logo) better. Unfortunately, as sogood has correctly pointed out it runs against your underlying message of cycling safety as many will percieve a black jersey to be less safe. Rock, meet hard place.

On here you will get feedback from cyclists, who are already on the side of your campaign. We are the target market for your product, but not for your message. To gauge the effectiveness of the message you need to consult 'motorists' who are not 'cyclists' to see whether it resonates/communicates with them. They need to understand the message as much as we need to like the design for it to be successful. How you gauge their position is a challenge in itself (I don't know that replicating this thread on a car forum would be a roaring success, but you never know :lol: )

Good luck with it, I hope you succeed. A tough (but far from impossible) challenge as I believe you are in competition with the AGF (regardless of the fact they are helping promote your petition campaign) for a particular market. AGF have a lot of jerseys out there already and have rides to support them (their jerseys on the road en masse during their rides is a powerful image, significantly moreso than a single rider wearing any form of jersey carrying a safety message). Whilst I completely support the intentions of your message and campaign, I wont be buying a jersey. Not because I don't like it, nor because I don't believe in the campaign. I simply am a 'customer' of the AGF (in terms of owning and wearing jersey(s) supporting a 1m distance campaign) and until they give me reason to, I don't see a need to be changing that. I already own multiple jerseys supporting that campaign, and don't have the need for another one. The only reason I will be getting the 2011 version is that it is part of the entry fee for the ride.

In terms of sponsors, I appreciate your predicament of trying not to undermine the message whilst finding a way to fund it's exposure. One of the things I like about the AGF jerseys is that the sponsors are well chosen/relevant. The jersey's I already own have sponsorship logos including TAC (transport accident commission), Continental (who make car tyres as well as bike ones). The 2011 jersey features Continental and Honda. I believe jerseys ordered seperate from their rides contain no sponsorship logos. If car and/or car related companies are willing to put up dollars to support safer interaction between motorists and cyclists, then im happy to display that fact on their behalf and show some faith in, and return on, their investment.

These comments are intended as constructive feedback, and are not intended to be negative/offensive and I certainly hope they don't come across this way. I think your dedication to your campaign should be applauded.

Ramblings aside, out of the various incarnations I think the one below is the best design. Rather than dropping the website and leaving the message as has been suggested, may I suggest combining the two (the website is an important part of your campaign). Based on the below design, just drop the white text and add .org to the end of the yellow text. You don't need the www these days, people already know that goes at the start.

** I work for the Supercheap Auto Group. My comments are my own and not the companies, nor do they necessarily reflect the companies position/opinion. Usual disclaimer etc etc
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Can you PM me with your email address?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:41 pm

The Womble wrote:Can you PM me with your email address?
Done
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi

Bit off topic but this is the New Zealand approach. Personally I prefer at least 1.5 metres of clearance ..

Regards
Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:43 pm

The Womble wrote:Concidered it but god what an ask
*Considered
The Womble wrote:since when was this a busniness?
*business

:mrgreen:

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I like the French approach. 1m in built up areas and 1.5 outside of

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 am

im_no_pro wrote: Whilst I completely support the intentions of your message and campaign, I wont be buying a jersey. Not because I don't like it, nor because I don't believe in the campaign. I simply am a 'customer' of the AGF (in terms of owning and wearing jersey(s) supporting a 1m distance campaign) and until they give me reason to, I don't see a need to be changing that. I already own multiple jerseys supporting that campaign, and don't have the need for another one. The only reason I will be getting the 2011 version is that it is part of the entry fee for the ride.
[/size]
I agree.

I also support the idea , and dedication of making cycling safer, but.
I don't see the need for another jersey, that is saying the same thing.
(i also think just the arrow is not enough information for a lot of drivers out there)

What do you think you would achieve with this ?
besides the colours, the jersey is similair to the agf, ie the message is the same.
And that also goes for the website. all i can see is the same message, nothing else that's new.

Again, i support your effort,and i am trying to give you constructive critisism,
but i fail to see the difference between your site message and the agf message.
Image Image Image

biftek

Postby biftek » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:28 am

The Womble wrote:since when was this a busniness?
You can put any spin you want on it , a charity , an organisation , and advocacy group , end of the day it still has a business model to it
goodlookingcyclist wrote:
Again, i support your effort,and i am trying to give you constructive critisism,
but i fail to see the difference between your site message and the agf message.
there is no difference , just trying to cash in on the cause

that's half the problems with these advocacy groups ,there is just way too many of them buying for the dollar buying for the time , they need to pool their resources to get the message out there rather then tackling it individually