Newbie Fixie

Rivergoblin

Re: Newbie Fixie

Postby Rivergoblin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for the debate on tools... The only thing I dont have a is a crank puller and a BB tool. will get those at the weekend. I dont see the point in the chain breaker tool, since you can take chain of with no tools at all, just dextrous fingers. Thats how Ive always done it anyway.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:48 am

rkelsen wrote:
aaron wrote:Because this is a monkey wrench.
Actually, that's a stillson. More commonly known as a pipe wrench.

'Monkey wrench' is a colloquialism whose definition seems to vary depending upon which side of the Pacific Ocean you're from.

Just sayin'... :lol:
Ok fair enough but when you read Isaac's post originally which style of wrench did you think he was referring to?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:19 pm

aaron wrote:Because this is a monkey wrench.

Yours is a shifter. I know what the properties of the image say...but it's wrong.
I reckon you should settle down your advice a bit Isaac.
Just sayin
Oh, Sorry. There was a TV show and they had a talkin' dog saying "Thank god I have my trusty Monkey Wrench" and he pulled out the other type so I was just a bit confused.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:04 pm

how do you take off a chain with no tools at all?

lemme clarify. a chain tool removes the pin from one link of the chain, enabling the chain to be removed from the frame.
taking a chain off just the chainring/sprocket requires no tools.

unless you already have a split link on your chain, you'll need a chain tool if you ever want to remove/replace the chain.
jusayn

Rivergoblin

Postby Rivergoblin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Well the chain on my bike has one special link in it, with a what I will call a retainer clip on it (for lack of correct bike lingo) using dexterity and patient application of will, one can remove that clip, when you do the special chain link can be disassembled, thus breaking the chain. Then it can be reassembled, and installed as normal. So there for I dont need a special tool to remove the chain.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Rivergoblin wrote:Well the chain on my bike has one special link in it, with a what I will call a retainer clip on it (for lack of correct bike lingo) using dexterity and patient application of will, one can remove that clip, when you do the special chain link can be disassembled, thus breaking the chain. Then it can be reassembled, and installed as normal. So there for I dont need a special tool to remove the chain.
Yeah that's exactly right as it's a fixed S/S bike and chain.A chain breaker is a handy tool to have though as at sometime in the future you may wish to fit a new chain or change gear ratio, at which point you will need a chain breaker to shorten/lengthen your chain.
Parktools make the best ones IMO.