I am 50, cycle 40 to 50km daily and need to loose about 5kg.

luvmybike

I am 50, cycle 40 to 50km daily and need to loose about 5kg.

Postby luvmybike » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi all. Can anyone help me? For the last 12 months, I have found and become addicted to cycling. I see others in our club, new to cycling; join our weekday rides of 40 to 50 km daily and the weight just falls off them. Now, this is not happening to me. I eat pretty well, oh sure, I have my downfalls, but mostly, I eat meat and veggie, not too much fat, junk food or sweets. I eat fruit; do not drink energy drinks or fruit juice. I have one red wine most days, one to two squares dark chocolate about twice a week. I am careful of carbs after lunchtime. Some of these people loosing the weight have started gluten free diets. I am not gluten intolerant but wonder if it is because there is just so much they cannot eat, they tend not to eat at all. I have looked into the possibility of going on a gluten free diet myself, but have been told that unless I am gluten intolerant, it will make no difference at all. Any ideas?

Sik_as

Re: I am 50, cycle 40 to 50km daily and need to loose about

Postby Sik_as » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:34 pm

If you work on the principle of burning more calories than you consume you should lose weight. Look at things like portion size, and also your training. If you are doing the same km week in week out, you may need to up the km or change the intensity to work harder to 'earn what you are eating'. Diets are not a long term solution, the fact you are cycling is fantastic and you are well on your way to reaching your weightloss goals. If you want to track your calories and exercise for free, try www.calorieking.com.au

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:42 pm

What made the most dramatic difference to me was to cut carbs down or eliminate them from the evening meal during the week. The only night where I ate carbs was the night before a long ride.

This may leave you a little hungry in the evening. The way I found to cope with this was to up the protein. Protein digests more slowly and leaves you feeling full for longer, in addition to helping speed your recovery.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:27 pm

Try not to focus on the weight, ie a number on the scales.
I tend to use measurements as my guide....since starting cycling earlier this year my body shape has changed, according to others), my weight as in kg's hasn't dropped too much, but my measurements have changed....in fact I avoid the scales at the gym as it tends to disappoint me when I jump on...the fit of my clothing is a better indicator!

and +1 to decreasing carbs and increasing your protein intake.

and drink lots of water....

hth
Lisa

Jen

Postby Jen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:24 pm

I've had the same experience- while I've not lost weight, I've gone to a smaller size of clothing. While I still need to lose weight as well, a shrinking waist line can only be positive.

Sik_as

Postby Sik_as » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 am

Be careful of cutting too many carbs, you need them to ride! It's a tricky balance...

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:16 pm

It's fantastic that you're cycling that much daily! Imagine how much fitter you are now :) I think 5 kilos is the hardest to lose...and once you get over about 42 it gets really hard. I'm 46 and I lost weight at first but then I realised I wasn't riding just to lose weight I was riding because I loved it! It is great just to feel fitter and to be out there doing something while a lot of other people aren't. Good luck with it!

luvmybike

Postby luvmybike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:18 pm

lovemybike wrote:It's fantastic that you're cycling that much daily! Imagine how much fitter you are now :) I think 5 kilos is the hardest to lose...and once you get over about 42 it gets really hard. I'm 46 and I lost weight at first but then I realised I wasn't riding just to lose weight I was riding because I loved it! It is great just to feel fitter and to be out there doing something while a lot of other people aren't. Good luck with it!
Hey... love your username. Thanks for the encouragment. I can see the sense in everything I have read, but you have just hit the nail on the head. I love riding and some of the best part is the social interaction, so doing this in a active way must be a good thing, better than meeting every morning at the pokie machines. I know I have to work harder and eat less, it is that simple.... Ouch... did I just say simple. LOL I am also having trouble getting a bike small enough for me. I am 5ft tall and getting a bit disheartened, but I am sure patience will win out in the end.

luvmybike

Postby luvmybike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:21 pm

Sik_as wrote:Be careful of cutting too many carbs, you need them to ride! It's a tricky balance...
Yes... have been down that road. I can loose 2kg in the first week when I go on a low carb diet, but my performance on the bike is very poor. My muscles feel like they are on fire. I like the idea of stopping the carbs after lunch time. I might give that one a go.

luvmybike

Postby luvmybike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Sik_as wrote:If you work on the principle of burning more calories than you consume you should lose weight. Look at things like portion size, and also your training. If you are doing the same km week in week out, you may need to up the km or change the intensity to work harder to 'earn what you are eating'. Diets are not a long term solution, the fact you are cycling is fantastic and you are well on your way to reaching your weightloss goals. If you want to track your calories and exercise for free, try http://www.calorieking.com.au
Thanks for this. Great site. In short, what you're saying is... work harder, eat less. I will try. :)

luvmybike

Postby luvmybike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 pm

marinmomma wrote:Try not to focus on the weight, ie a number on the scales.
I tend to use measurements as my guide....since starting cycling earlier this year my body shape has changed, according to others), my weight as in kg's hasn't dropped too much, but my measurements have changed....in fact I avoid the scales at the gym as it tends to disappoint me when I jump on...the fit of my clothing is a better indicator!

and +1 to decreasing carbs and increasing your protein intake.

and drink lots of water....

hth
I am fairly well toned but the fit of my clothes has not changed either. While I am fairly new to cycling, I have always been very active and love to exercise, so my body has found this shape many years ago I think, but just added a bit of fat over the years. :(
I do like water and drink lots, but am aware I should drink more, but everytime you hear it, it just makes you a little more motivated. Thanks

luvmybike

Postby luvmybike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:What made the most dramatic difference to me was to cut carbs down or eliminate them from the evening meal during the week. The only night where I ate carbs was the night before a long ride.

This may leave you a little hungry in the evening. The way I found to cope with this was to up the protein. Protein digests more slowly and leaves you feeling full for longer, in addition to helping speed your recovery.
Thanks.. I am going to try this.

luvmybike

Postby luvmybike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Jen wrote:I've had the same experience- while I've not lost weight, I've gone to a smaller size of clothing. While I still need to lose weight as well, a shrinking waist line can only be positive.
Thanks Jen, but I am afraid my waistline is still the same. Glad it is working for you, I am going to keep trying tho.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:52 pm

luvmybike wrote:
Jen wrote:I've had the same experience- while I've not lost weight, I've gone to a smaller size of clothing. While I still need to lose weight as well, a shrinking waist line can only be positive.
Thanks Jen, but I am afraid my waistline is still the same. Glad it is working for you, I am going to keep trying tho.
It might not be quick but the best weight loss is slow weight loss. I think it's about 3 years for me now and I'm up to about 15kg. Don't really have a goal now besides maintaining and getting fitter and stronger. I have done the rapid weight loss thing three times before in the past but always put the weight back on with interest.

+ 1 to extra protein.
<removed by request>

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 pm

LOL I am also having trouble getting a bike small enough for me. I am 5ft tall and getting a bit disheartened, but I am sure patience will win out in the end.
I'm 4'11" or 150cm in modern ( :lol:) and I've solved the bike size problem.......but it's cost me a bit..........worth it though!

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:13 pm

luvmybike wrote:

without trying to burst the bubble too much, losing weight is not so much about excercise, but about how much food we shove down our throat !.
my recommendation is a low Gi diet, replace a meal a day with one of those diet shakes, regular exericse, and monitor your weight every couple of days. that will either work as an incentive or make you feel miserable. i rode for 2 years without losing more then a kg at best ( riding 200km/week at >28km/h). Since following my GP's advice ( see above) ive lost 10kg in a couple of months without really having to do much. juice is bad, rice is bad ( basmati is OK) etc etc. all the foods i thought were OK were high Gi and/or full of sugar. low carb beer is my staple fluid now !

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:37 pm

In the same boat as you (god we will sink it) :wink:
I found weight loss very hard, so I have finely bought those revolting shakes and have been on it for 4 days.
I eat a banana in the morning; shake for lunch and normal dinner.
When I was 18 years old I would have lost 3 kg by now but now that I am older I can only lose 1.5kg per week.
I was an anti meal replacement person and swore I would never drink that staff but I am and progress is being made.
I used to ride 300km per week and run up to 50km per week but since a back injury I would now be lucky to ride 100km per week.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:27 am

i hope we dont sink the bloody boat - i need it for new years eve to watch the fireworks
i found the shakes from coles ( whose names elude me right now) to actually be very tasty. so tasty in fact i am always tempted to "make mine a double!"
i also saw 95kg on the scales yesterday, which means about 10kg loss over the last couple of months :D

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 am

I've been going through the same scenario for years until about May this year. Since then I've dropped 10kg & all my clothes don't fit or are very baggy. The results are not from a silly diet or anything drastic at all. I only ride about 150km / week with a bit of intense Mtb in there + 5km of swimming training. All I've done is changed the food I eat permanently every single day without fail. This is what I attempt to do & stay close to it. Under 90grams of sugar a day. Absolutely no MSG. It's in everything with flavor enhancers or numbers starting with 6 as in 625/ 635 etc.The regulations on food labeling is criminal I never buy anything from a bakery due to all the fattening pastry & possessed white flour. Results started within 3 weeks & I'm on my way to 85 kg from 103kg. Recommended weight loss is about 1kg per month & attempting it any faster normally fails from my experience.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Often the problem is eating smarter rather than eating less. Log your diet in calorie king and learn about your eating habits. Some find that their protein intake is too low and their carb intake is too high. Aim for a small calorie deficit, perhaps 100 calories.

Exercise you have good K's. I'd suggest you alternate a short high intensity session and longer rides every second day rather than just riding distance.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Not sure if my experience will help but I'm 50, male and new to cycling this year. I didn't cycle to lose weight I was 1.7m 72 kgs when I started, now 67 kgs. I now cycle approx 200 kms per week, usually fairly high intensity, and have to eat like a horse now to maintain my 67 kgs. I do physical work 9-5, walk the dog when I get home, ride the bike when I can. I believe it's as simple as calories in v calories out. I eat pies, burgers, cakes, choccy too much (also plenty of fruit and vegies) so the type of food seems less important to me than the calories.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:07 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Not sure if my experience will help but I'm 50, male and new to cycling this year. I didn't cycle to lose weight I was 1.7m 72 kgs when I started, now 67 kgs. I now cycle approx 200 kms per week, usually fairly high intensity, and have to eat like a horse now to maintain my 67 kgs. I do physical work 9-5, walk the dog when I get home, ride the bike when I can. I believe it's as simple as calories in v calories out. I eat pies, burgers, cakes, choccy too much (also plenty of fruit and vegies) so the type of food seems less important to me than the calories.
Soz, don't agree, yes of course you can control weight with calories in/calories out approach but it's not ALL about weight, it's also about fitness and health and I agree with the above comment that a bit more protein and carbs in the form of vegetables rather than grains, especially grain combined with fats and sugar, is a way better way to go, also as you get older, metabolism slows fairly drastically so the calorie restrictive approach had to get more and more rigorous!

You can be thin and unfit! And conversely carry a little more weight and be totally fit!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Well I did lose about 4 kg but I think 1 kg came back on, on Christmas day.
The only thing I am sad about is that my Bras are now to big :roll: I got them in New York, they are to die for. Oh well.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Apple wrote:Well I did lose about 4 kg but I think 1 kg came back on, on Christmas day.
The only thing I am sad about is that my Bras are now to big :roll: I got them in New York, they are to die for. Oh well.

congrats Apple, you can't win them all and that's a good regret really! :lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Apple wrote: The only thing I am sad about is that my Bras are now to big :roll:
What, and nobody gave you socks for Xmas ? I got the usual too many, and you're welcome to a pair of mine :)

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia