Suns rims / wheelsets

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Suns rims / wheelsets

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Has anyone ever heard about these rims and does anyone know ho good they are?
.isaac.

by BNA » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 am

BNA

Re: Suns rims / wheelsets

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 am

I bought the geared wheelset a while back thinking it would be a cheap upgrade from stock on my roady, they're seriously heavy but rolled reasonably well and i got just under 1000k before breaking a spoke which is very good for my roads/90kg weight. I have been thinking bout the single speed set for some time now to try fixed on my single speed trainer.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:20 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Has anyone ever heard about these rims and does anyone know ho good they are?

That's kind of like asking "Does Ford make good cars?"

Wanna be more specific about the model or rim or wheelset?

FWIW, I have Sun Rims on 3 of my MTBs. DS1XC, Singletrack and 0 Degree XCs. All built by myself. The DS1s have seen about 30,000km of action, including 24hr racing. The front has never had a spoke key to it, the rear has broken a couple of spokes. The Singletracks have been abused like a junk yard dog and the rear is a bit worse for wear, but again, those wheels have been flogged like a convict hooker.

The above models are welded joint rims, not sleeved and pinned which to my mind makes a bit of difference.

And without flying my own flag too wildly, I built these wheels so I have nobody to blame or thank for the wheelbuild other than myself. The fact that they're holding up is as much to do with the quality of the wheel build as anything. Get your wheels built by a slightly simple rhesus monkey and the quality of parts won't matter squat.

Having said all that, I'm a fan of Sun Rims and recommend them. I haven't used their pre-built wheels.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010
Uncle Grumpy

Postby .isaac. » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Ok, thanks for the info but I think that I will wrap this thread up here because I've decided i'm going to go deep v.
.isaac.

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed