We are what we eat

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
overthehill

Re: We are what we eat

Postby overthehill » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Never had a problem with weight - without any exercise, an average diet, and years of smoking I weighed around 75kg - I'm 177cm tall.

Been on the bike (and off the cigs) for one year now, and weigh 68kg. BUT the big change for me has been fitness and lung capacity. I still struggle sometimes to feed my muscles enough oxygen (Norton Summit!), but now I can do a 50k ride with a 30kph average.

A note for qinv - its not just the reduced lung capacity from smoking - its the dry aging skin and the loss of senses (taste especially), and the feeling your getting old before your time. I now feel and look younger, and fresher. Smokin'll kill ya eventually……

As for diet:

Brekky: porridge or toasted muesli

morning: banana

Lunch: salad sandwich on wholemeal or eggs and fruit

arvo: fruit

Dinner: homemade pizza (afghan bread base) or steak/steamed veg or homemade curry or warm chicken salad or roast or…

Not much oil, no salt to speak of, not much added sugar.

Only occasionally have takeaway (indian or chinese or thai). Almost never 'junk' food - and don't really want to, they aren't nutritious or satisfying.

And this isn't really trying - I'm not making any special effort to eat well, and I'm sure many of you could point out what I'm not doing right…

One thing I haven't tried yet is protein, not sure about it really, if i need it or how/when to take it…
Rapha Continental

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 am

Counting calories is a waste of time- being aware that different foods affect your body differently isn't.

Essentially, you are what you eat. If you mainly eat fresh fruit and veg (organic preferably), moderate amount of rice/pasta (brown rice is better) etc you will do OK.

Nothing wrong with the occasional pork roast etc, your body needs those fats, but keep away from pretty much anything processed or containing artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
silkishuge wrote:So what are you planning to have for lunch today?
Spinach and ricotta ravioli (pack made) with diced eggplant, cherry tomatoes and zuccini in garlic EV olive oil and some fresh tomato pasta sauce to tie it all together.

Bit of cracked pepper and parmigiana cheese flakes on the top and it was good to go. Tasted AWESOME.

Tomorrow I have some asparagus that I am going to grill in sea salt and EV olive oil as well as some other veges.

I have been on a weekday vegetarian diet for the past week and it's been going great, so many tasty non-meat dishes out there. This weekend I am going to splash out on some nice cuts of meat from the money I have saved from not eating meat during the week. Might get some fresh lamb and roast it. Mmmmmmm..
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:50 am

elStado wrote:containing artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
I gone shopping for some things and left the shop because I could not find anything without superfluous crap added.

Most recently, balsamic vinegar. Choice: artificial colour or preservatives. Preservatives in vinegar? Say What?

Yesterday I looked at the ingredients on Sanitarium peanut paste... peanuts, oil, salt, sugar... sugar? really? in peanut paste? Say What? Fortunately I managed to find "natural" peanut paste. Ingredients" 100% peanuts. That's what I'm talking about.
<removed by request>

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:31 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
elStado wrote:containing artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
I gone shopping for some things and left the shop because I could not find anything without superfluous crap added.

Most recently, balsamic vinegar. Choice: artificial colour or preservatives. Preservatives in vinegar? Say What?

Yesterday I looked at the ingredients on Sanitarium peanut paste... peanuts, oil, salt, sugar... sugar? really? in peanut paste? Say What? Fortunately I managed to find "natural" peanut paste. Ingredients" 100% peanuts. That's what I'm talking about.
Yeah it's quite difficult, I always spend longer in the shops getting groceries than I plan as I have to hunt around for stuff that isn't filled with crap. We're becoming as bad as America.

Sugar and salt isn't uncommon in peanut paste though, even DIY recipes often get you to put some in. Makes it taste "better", that's all. It's a big issue with many foods these days in regards to the amount of salt and sugar is added to them just for flavour. Look on the information and check the sodium content, many foods you wouldn't think to be salty as packed with it.
2,300mg of sodium is the upper limit, however it must be noted that the RDA in the UK is 1,600mg, so obviously the Australian and US limits are larger than other countries for whatever reasons.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... pages/Salt

Oh, I have also been staying away from anything with sulphites in it, pretty much any form of processed meats and also fresh meat at some butchers. Recent studies show it distinctly raises the likelihood of developing cancer.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I gone shopping for some things and left the shop because I could not find anything without superfluous crap added.

Most peanut pastes have additive 407 in them which is bad. Sanitarium brand doesn't. I don't worry about the sugar because I mostly only use the stuff when I'm doing big rides and need the calories which is quite often. :wink:

As for colouring additives / additives in general, I use Julie Eadie's book to guide me away from the worst ones but don't get too paranoid about the whole issue of additives as if I did I'd have a hard time shopping for just about anything.

I do eat a lot of fresh foods in favour of processed foods though. As for 'organic', in my book that just equals expensive and over rated without enough quantitative evidence.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:26 pm

cavebear2 wrote:I do eat a lot of fresh foods in favour of processed foods though. As for 'organic', in my book that just equals expensive and over rated without enough quantitative evidence.
I agree with this, there is a lack of evidence. However realistically food that has less chemicals or artificial additives can only be a good thing for your body (providing it is genuinely free of these impurities) and also organic food is often more nutritionally dense and flavoursome. Compare an organic item, such as an egg, chicken fillet or tomato to a non-organic regular store bought equivalent and you'll be able to taste the difference.

I don't solely eat organic food, because I can't afford it on my student budget, however certain products I will try to buy organic and I will always buy it if it's on special or at the markets. I prefer to DIY though, have a few plants going in the back yard (in self irrigated planters mind you) and should have a crop of tomatoes, capsicums and chilli in the next few weeks.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:38 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I gone shopping for some things and left the shop because I could not find anything without superfluous crap added.

Most peanut pastes have additive 407 in them which is bad. Sanitarium brand doesn't. I don't worry about the sugar because I mostly only use the stuff when I'm doing big rides and need the calories which is quite often. :wink:

As for colouring additives / additives in general, I use Julie Eadie's book to guide me away from the worst ones but don't get too paranoid about the whole issue of additives as if I did I'd have a hard time shopping for just about anything.

I do eat a lot of fresh foods in favour of processed foods though. As for 'organic', in my book that just equals expensive and over rated without enough quantitative evidence.
I don't get paranoid about additives but will give some products a miss if they are too loaded up and given equivalent alternatives will pick the one with the least additives: i.e.

peanut paste with just peanuts instead of: peanuts, sugar, salt, emulsifier etc.
corn chips with just corn, salt, oil instead of: corn, sugar, salt, msg, cheese powder etc.
pasta sauce with just tomatoes and salt instead of: tomatoes, sugar, salt, flavour enhancers etc.

Funny how none of these are sweet but all have sugar :shock:

I also won't buy yoghurt with artificial sweeteners.

I get the know which products I like to shopping is pretty quick. If I am buying something new though I check the labels. The other day I went to buy olives and guess what? sugar, colour, preservatives... in olives? a) they were black olives so didn't need colour. b) they are in brine or vinegar, both preservatives and c) sugar? in olives? really? Say What?
<removed by request>

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:44 pm

overthehill wrote:Never had a problem with weight - without any exercise, an average diet, and years of smoking I weighed around 75kg - I'm 177cm tall.

Been on the bike (and off the cigs) for one year now, and weigh 68kg. BUT the big change for me has been fitness and lung capacity. I still struggle sometimes to feed my muscles enough oxygen (Norton Summit!), but now I can do a 50k ride with a 30kph average.

A note for qinv - its not just the reduced lung capacity from smoking - its the dry aging skin and the loss of senses (taste especially), and the feeling your getting old before your time. I now feel and look younger, and fresher. Smokin'll kill ya eventually……

As for diet:

Brekky: porridge or toasted muesli

morning: banana

Lunch: salad sandwich on wholemeal or eggs and fruit

arvo: fruit

Dinner: homemade pizza (afghan bread base) or steak/steamed veg or homemade curry or warm chicken salad or roast or…

Not much oil, no salt to speak of, not much added sugar.

Only occasionally have takeaway (indian or chinese or thai). Almost never 'junk' food - and don't really want to, they aren't nutritious or satisfying.

And this isn't really trying - I'm not making any special effort to eat well, and I'm sure many of you could point out what I'm not doing right…

One thing I haven't tried yet is protein, not sure about it really, if i need it or how/when to take it…
Congrates on quitting smoking. I know it was not easy. :wink: As for diet, it God made it, you can safely eat it .......

I can't really eat out due to a liver condition. But eating out occasionally is nice. I usually eat in "special" places where I know that food is prepared well. One place in Sydney I can eat is "Wafu" along Cleveland Street. Highly recommend the place but the Chef only caters to people with medical conditions which prevent them from eating "regular" food. She serves only organic and chemical free food and its cheap too provided you finish your food. If you order more than you can eat, you have to pay the full price, but if you finish all your food, you only pay 30% the listed price.

Regarding yogurt, my wife makes her own. She got a starter and just uses it to make Lebanese yogurt. I can't eat too much of it, but it smells and taste good.

J

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Yesterday I looked at the ingredients on Sanitarium peanut paste... peanuts, oil, salt, sugar... sugar? really? in peanut paste? Say What? Fortunately I managed to find "natural" peanut paste. Ingredients" 100% peanuts. That's what I'm talking about.
I looked closely at the label on Sanitarium peanut paste the other day...it says no added sugar (only 5.6gm/100gm)....I take this to mean only natural sugars, so interpretation of food labels can be important.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:37 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Yesterday I looked at the ingredients on Sanitarium peanut paste... peanuts, oil, salt, sugar... sugar? really? in peanut paste? Say What? Fortunately I managed to find "natural" peanut paste. Ingredients" 100% peanuts. That's what I'm talking about.
I looked closely at the label on Sanitarium peanut paste the other day...it says no added sugar (only 5.6gm/100gm)....I take this to mean only natural sugars, so interpretation of food labels can be important.
It know it's weird. I looked at the jar I already had when I got home and it had no added sugar either. I assume this is something new? :?

Check this out http://www.peanutbutter.com.au//products/smooth.aspx
Smooth Peanut Butter. Ingredients: Freshly Roasted Peanuts (85%), vegetable oil, sugar, salt. Sugars(g) is now 10.1g/100g
I am probably being fussy wanting no added sugar in my Peanut Paste. I just have a thing about savoury things being savory and sweet things having sugar. Next thing they will be putting salt in yoghurt and sugar in Marmite. Oh, wait! They already did :roll:
Marmite Ingreadients: Yeast (80%), sugar, salt, mineral salt (508), wheat maltodextrin, colour (caramel III), herbs, spices, vitamins (niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, folate, B12), mineral (iron).
<removed by request>

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Just buy the stuff from health food stores that is freshly ground peanuts - as an added bonus it doesn't taste rancid ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 pm

one_damo wrote:I heard that processed sugars (cakes, lollies, biscuits, chocolates etc) are bad. Is it a big benefit to cut these out of our diet completely?
everything in moderation is the go,as we dont want to live in denial do we :?:
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:28 pm

rpmspinman wrote:I can feel my arteries hardening just looking at that scrumptious feast. :lol:
i like the look of the bacon & cheese toasty, i recon some BBQ sauce would be the go :)
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:07 am

Yep it was hard to quit - but now, wouldn't go back. I just think of all I've achieved on my bike already. No way I want to loose that.

I did Semaphore to Glenelg in 28 mins the other day, (around 17K) - for me thats big! :D

Now just got to work on the diet……
Rapha Continental

Utedog

Postby Utedog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Peanut Paste? Say What Ive called it peanut butter my whole life,never heard it called anything else,....until now!

“ How can I keep both the BEER gods and the HEALTH gods happy at the same time???”

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:03 am

If we are what we eat then shouldn't I look like a bottle of Barossa Shiraz by now?
I think I'm about to start looking like a leaf of crinkly kale. My wife wanted kale in the garden and planted uber amounts of it - & then went to NZ just as it all came to fruition. What the hell am I going to do with all this kale?? Any curry recipes welcome :D

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:26 am

Utedog wrote:Peanut Paste? Say What Ive called it peanut butter my whole life,never heard it called anything else,....until now!
I grew up in SA and WA - Peanut Paste (also QLD I think). Peanut Butter is NSW and VIC as far as I know.
<removed by request>

Utedog

Postby Utedog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:47 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
Utedog wrote:Peanut Paste? Say What Ive called it peanut butter my whole life,never heard it called anything else,....until now!
I grew up in SA and WA - Peanut Paste (also QLD I think). Peanut Butter is NSW and VIC as far as I know.
That right? Different labels
And names for different states? Well i'll be!

“ How can I keep both the BEER gods and the HEALTH gods happy at the same time???”

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:42 pm

It's been Peanut Paste up here (Nth Qld) since I was a kid....about 150 yrs ago.

I thought Peanut Butter was a Yank name.