Powertap Drama's

twizzle

Re: Powertap Drama's

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Hope mine still work :lol: ...well it did a month ago when I got a week of riding in...never rang up and found out what was wrong with the last one.
Ah - it will all work out in the end.

Did you ever try getting a serious beat-you-up massage?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 pm

twizzle wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Hope mine still work :lol: ...well it did a month ago when I got a week of riding in...never rang up and found out what was wrong with the last one.

Yeah the physio has done a few...no good.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
twizzle wrote:

Yeah the physio has done a few...no good.
:(

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Well, after losing my original powertap computer in an 'almost crash'... I dropped my spare on concrete this afternoon and large chunks of the display are gone. :( Still works, but not very useful.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:48 pm

twizzle wrote:Well, after losing my original powertap computer in an 'almost crash'... I dropped my spare on concrete this afternoon and large chunks of the display are gone. :( Still works, but not very useful.
Not doing well lately are you ? Thrown off your bike a few times due to RD alignment, miss the bell on the last crit and now drop your powertap ....

Don't waste money on lottery tickets ..

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:43 pm

MichaelB wrote:
twizzle wrote:Well, after losing my original powertap computer in an 'almost crash'... I dropped my spare on concrete this afternoon and large chunks of the display are gone. :( Still works, but not very useful.
Not doing well lately are you ? Thrown off your bike a few times due to RD alignment, miss the bell on the last crit and now drop your powertap ....

Don't waste money on lottery tickets ..
And last night while fitting the chain catcher to the FD on the race bike discovered that the braze-on bracket had come loose which might explain the dropped chain from Sunday, and then the front tube popped due to a rim tape problem on the way home this arvo while the bike was in the back of the car.

Lotto tickets are definitely out.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 am

No more powertap dramas for me...800 euros and out the door...if I get on the bike again it will be au nautral!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:02 pm

:(

But, on a positive note, you won't be breaking it again. :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Evil powertap week. Yesterday the wiring harnesses on the Ultralite suffered an internal break somewhere up near the head tube, the cable is noticeably stiffer in that section so I'm guessing they have used copper and it has work hardened. Then today when I went to download at work (my usual download location) the head unit didn't want to drop into 'host' mode - one of the contact pins is stuck down in the base.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

I was happy with getting rid of mine...just gathering dust.Got good money for it too...but it was like brand new (only 550km on the new warranty wheel).
If I get back on a bike,big if...then a power meter will just depress me!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I was happy with getting rid of mine...just gathering dust.Got good money for it too...but it was like brand new (only 550km on the new warranty wheel).
If I get back on a bike,big if...then a power meter will just depress me!.
You time will come again...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 am

O.K., no powertap for training at the moment. :( I wore out the braking surface of the rim and the sidewall started to come off. I pulled the wheel apart last night and it's getting build into a Mavic open-pro rim on Tuesday. But apart from an appetite for batteries, a broken wiring harness and the lock-nut on the shaft coming loose, it's been completely reliable.

Edit : Just checked - 16 months since that wheel was put together, but it was built into a pre-loved rim.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:39 pm

I don't eve have a speedo these days mate...my old powertap is still going fine though as I see it out and about on a team mates bike.
Quite like riding without anything at the moment...but I think if I keep getting stronger I will get another one next year...seem to be a lot of new products coming out.

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:51 pm

It'll be interesting if the redesigned hub has addressed all of the issues or if it's mainly cosmetic.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:53 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I don't eve have a speedo these days mate...my old powertap is still going fine though as I see it out and about on a team mates bike.
Quite like riding without anything at the moment...but I think if I keep getting stronger I will get another one next year...seem to be a lot of new products coming out.
I dunno, these bloody social riders!

Doing the AG Gran Fondo race in Vic. at the end of next week, I was planning on dropping the training wheel in next Thursday to be re-rimmed anyway and it went and died 8 days early! I'm just going to "wing it" with the training. Or I might pull the tubeless tyre off the other wheel and set it up for a week of training... mind you, it's a bit long in the tooth as well. I priced up an Elite+ built into a RR 585 wheel set today, just over $1K landed... but I can't afford it ATM.

Last night, when I found the broken rim, I found I also had to fit a new cassette, chain & brake shoes! My spares box is getting pretty bare.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:It'll be interesting if the redesigned hub has addressed all of the issues or if it's mainly cosmetic.
The wired models have been fairly bullet-proof, but the wireless versions have had lots of problems. The redesign seems to get around the issue of the 'unreliable' electronics... time will tell if it has improved the situation.

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Was there not also an issue related to 'pre-load' on the bearings & the freehub due to the hub design which was also a cause of failure/excess drag/premature wear?
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

twizzle

Powertap Drama's

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:Was there not also an issue related to 'pre-load' on the bearings & the freehub due to the hub design which was also a cause of failure/excess drag/premature wear?
Might be with the 15mm axle version, but I have the steel 12mm axle version and it has been bullet-proof so far. The axle in mine acts as a spacer and as far as I can tell there is no preload.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:20 pm

One day of riding without the PT, and I raided the shed for my race wheel. Except one of the batteries in the hub was flat after only about 30 hours of use since they were changed. Annoyed - the energiser batteries have been pretty good up till this point.

I was very tempted to order a complete wheelset built up with an Elite+ hub... but sanity prevailed before my wife had to enact the RYANO response.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Well, after two years of regular use, the Comp rear hub has started to play up. Electronics and power measurement are fine, but one of the pawls jammed, causing it to slip to the next pawl after coasting. It's been doing this for a while, but I though it was a worn chain/chain ring until I swapped it to my other bike.

Of course, once I stripped the hub, I found one of the new bearings I fitted a while back was stuffed (don't trust "ABEC5" to be 'quality', in this case it had been used as a brand name to con purchasers and was a cheap crappy one!). So a clean-and-lube turned into a major service. Luckily, I had bought some DECENT bearings and put them away for just this occasion. I also have a spare freehub, but it's an alloy version, so it's a "last resort" replacement.

The freehub is working O.K. again, but the back face of the pawls where they rotate in the freehub is galled and the tips of the pawls where they lock into the ratchet ring are deformed. It's a very quiet freehub now, nothing like the noises they make when they are new. I might buy some spares while they are still available... $50 US per freehub plus shipping