Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

master6

Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:38 am

I am so happy with my Gatorskins for training that I bought 8 a month ago. For 6 months each year I am riding on Southern Tasmanian roads, and the glass infected causeway outside Sorell; the other 6 months are spent in Brisbane, with 75% of that on bikeways with a glass attack somewhere on most rides. My gatorskins are as reliable as any other tyre in the group of many people I ride with. Like any tyre, they are more susceptible to puncture if you try to extract excessive use down to the threads.
Good performance and exceptional value.

petal665

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby petal665 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:03 am

I agree.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:11 am

You just jinxed yourself. It'll be pssssst... on the next ride. :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:10 am

Countdown to Drubie posting ....

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm

+1
when do we stop for coffee???

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:33 pm

'll get in first, bought a pair brand new, after 7 punctures on the rear in 7 days i never want to lay eyes on a pair again. Changed to Bontrager hardcase and have not looked back no punctures in 2000 k's so far touch wood.Tim

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:05 pm

TimW wrote:'ll get in first, bought a pair brand new, after 7 punctures on the rear in 7 days i never want to lay eyes on a pair again. Changed to Bontrager hardcase and have not looked back no punctures in 2000 k's so far touch wood.Tim
Tim, have you considered moving to a better neighbourhood? :)

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 pm

TimW wrote:'ll get in first, bought a pair brand new, after 7 punctures on the rear in 7 days i never want to lay eyes on a pair again. Changed to Bontrager hardcase and have not looked back no punctures in 2000 k's so far touch wood.Tim

wrong gator skin thread
when do we stop for coffee???

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:18 pm

master6 wrote:
Tim, have you considered moving to a better neighbourhood? :)

Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but no lol!!!!! :lol:

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 pm

BarryTas wrote:

wrong gator skin thread
I Posted in the tatter thread as well i think!!

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Yep, always been happy with mine, though I'm going to try some Vittoria's next, just because I think it's time to try something new.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Can't say I've noticed a lot of difference in this years flats

3 Continental Gator Duraskins
9 Continental Gator Skins
2 Continental GP4000
10 Continental GP4000s Chilli
1 Continental Supersonics
2 Michelin Pro2race
1 Veloflex Record
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Gatorskins FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:39 pm

What?! 14 posts and no Drubie? At all?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:12 am

I loves me Gator Duras I do :mrgreen: Strong as a ReFuse with better handling.

I really gotta get off me ar5e and upload that pic of the lump of metal...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

juansta

Postby juansta » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:59 pm

I dont mind the gators... I've gone through about 4...

However, I cant actually get any of them to actually wear-out, as shown by their TWI... I find they get more cuts than anything else... Which causes slight bulging and/or enough of an opening to let the smallest pieces of glass through...

Im still only looking at 3 punctures... from 4 tyres in about 8,000k's... And I believe they all stemed from the cuts (ie small pieces of glass working their way in through the cuts)...

Any home remedies/quick fixes for the cuts? I've been told to use shoe glue... but dunno how that'd go?

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Deflate your tyres each week and squeeze them so that any cuts open up fully. Use a pointed object, like a needle, to remove all those little stones and glass hiding there and planning their slow attack on your tyre. Get rid of them before they work there way right through and create a puncture. I have heard of people using shoegoo, but have not bothered myself. An empty cut is no problem .

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Another 90 km on the Gatorskins today,trouble free as usual.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 pm

master6 wrote:Another 90 km on the Gatorskins today,trouble free as usual.
Ha ha that's funny. Are you going to give us a daily update? :twisted:

I must admit, my Gatorskins have done 3000 kms. No cuts or punctures (fingers crossed). But I'll never buy them again - too slippery on wet surfaces.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
master6 wrote:Another 90 km on the Gatorskins today,trouble free as usual.
Ha ha that's funny. Are you going to give us a daily update? :twisted:

I must admit, my Gatorskins have done 3000 kms. No cuts or punctures (fingers crossed). But I'll never buy them again - too slippery on wet surfaces.
Hello Christine, I think it is time that someone introduced some positivity to those sniffling whingers on that other thread. They appear to spend so much time focusing 2 feet ahead at the computer screen that they have become incapable of focusing 20 feet ahead to watch where they are riding.
I have no grip problems, and just left Brisbane 3 weeks ago after 10 weeks regular wet weather riding.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:18 pm

master6 wrote: I have no grip problems, and just left Brisbane 3 weeks ago after 10 weeks regular wet weather riding.
Wow! Are you cycling around Australia or something? We haven't heard from you for a few weeks and I was starting to wonder ...

I mainly have problems with the Gatorskins riding over metal grates - they tend to lose their grip and start slipping, and heavens help me if I need to brake!

Just avoid riding over grates, I hear you say. Not so easy, the Atarmon bike path, which is part of my regular commute, is full of them, and they stretch over the entire path. And there's an underpass which is pure metal grate - I refuse to ride over it in wet conditions.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
master6 wrote: I have no grip problems, and just left Brisbane 3 weeks ago after 10 weeks regular wet weather riding.
Wow! Are you cycling around Australia or something? We haven't heard from you for a few weeks and I was starting to wonder ...

I mainly have problems with the Gatorskins riding over metal grates - they tend to lose their grip and start slipping, and heavens help me if I need to brake!

Just avoid riding over grates, I hear you say. Not so easy, the Atarmon bike path, which is part of my regular commute, is full of them, and they stretch over the entire path. And there's an underpass which is pure metal grate - I refuse to ride over it in wet conditions.
You have been spared because we had 10 weeks in Brisbane without a computer. Cycling around Australia? No, theory is Tasmania 6 months, Brisbane 6 months. We have just left Brisbane, come via the Grafton to Inverell, holidayed briefly at Rhodes with our daughter, and now in Tasmania (Carlton) for "summer". Very different places for bike tyres. A lot of bikeway riding in Brisbane, with a good lashing of glass, and lots of braking to wear out rims. By contrast, my Tasmanian cycling is mainly on good clean roads, and only apply the brakes at the coffee shop, or the front gate when I get home.
Back to your grip problem. No bike tyres, motor cycle tyres, or automobile tyres like iron or steel surfaces. Tram or railway lines are really bad; worse than oil! Must say I was impressed with the Homebush bay to Botany Bay bike way, and on to San Souci.

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Christine Tham wrote: Wow! Are you cycling around Australia or something? We haven't heard from you for a few weeks and I was starting to wonder ...

Name us a tire that doesn't do that.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm

I think I would scream if I had 10 weeks of no computer - but luckily I now have an iPhone so I'm now one of those annoying people who spend 24 hours a day surfing on their phone.

Back to metal grates - generally have no problem with Tweety - GP4000S or Rubino Pro. It's only an issue with Kitty and the Gatorskins.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 pm

...because master6 is somehow convinced that there are two equal sides to every story (must be the Murdoch version of "fair and balanced") I'm just going to leave this bit of positivity here:

The good thing about my Gatorskins was that they made me look at excellent tyres from other manufacturers. That is all.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.