Best Clipstack Award

Baldy

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Baldy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:59 pm

I cant help but laugh at clipstacks :lol: Even my own. I also hope they landed ok and are not too hurt but thats after I have stopped laughing :mrgreen:

I still think Arkle is winning!!

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Downhill wrote: In fairness to Arkle, it sounds like the stack was primarily caused by mechanical failure. Would the outcome have been substantially different if you weren't clipped in?
Don't know if you're talking to me for this bit, but I'll have a go anyway.
Maybe if I was using flats it wouldn't have happened (still reckon I would have gone down though), but with clipless I had to be clipped in to pedal anyway
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:52 pm

GODDAMNIT!

I lost my virginity today...wouldn't be that horrifying except...I DON'T HAVE CLIP-IN PEDALS!

Yes...I clipstacked using the old 'strap-on's! Image

Muffed up the foot removal, down I went...surprising when you have a light bicycle that usually no damage occurs, no harm no foul but gave the motorists near me a laugh! Was stopping in the local red light district...

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:00 am

bendertiger wrote:GODDAMNIT!

I lost my virginity today...wouldn't be that horrifying except...I DON'T HAVE CLIP-IN PEDALS!

Yes...I clipstacked using the old 'strap-on's! Image

Muffed up the foot removal, down I went...surprising when you have a light bicycle that usually no damage occurs, no harm no foul but gave the motorists near me a laugh! Was stopping in the local red light district...
Ouch! Sounds painful. A true "clip" stack. Maybe the rest should be called "cleat" stacks? :mrgreen:
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:25 am

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I've done it again!

Sprinted up a small hill at a beach side park, turned onto the grass and dismounted to rehydrate and stretch under a shady tree. Jumped back on the bike after 5 minutes. As I started to cycle over the grass, I noticed that the concrete path I was aiming for had a 200 mm drop. I turned to cycle up the slope to the next access ramp. That's when I figured out that grass, steep uphill slopes, low speeds and cleats don't mix. Nice soft landing though.
2010 Oppy C6

sagara0510

Postby sagara0510 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:03 pm

i've had my bike for about 6 weeks now. for the first 4 weeks, no clip stacks - solo riding.

then 2 weeks ago i felt my fitness was good enough to join in on a group ride. met the group at the designated meeting point and when we took off, i was busy chatting to another ride on my right. came to a stop at the traffic light, still chatting away to the rider on my right. instinctively unclipped the left foot - still chatting and looking to my right. stopped the bike, put the left foot down.... looking to my right... lost balance to the right... falling to the right... unclipped right foot too late! fell over in a stationary position. embarassing but at least i was surrounded by sympathetic riders >.<

since then i've learnt to look in the direction of the foot i'm planning to unclip first!

RosscoG

Postby RosscoG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Haaaaahahaha, these are classic.

Two for me.

Bear in mind I am on a recumbent, so not only was I in a much more awkward position in both than an upright but you can imagine how awkward it would look to... well, everyone else!
1. Charged a very steep gravely "hill" to realise half way up that it was a damn BMX jump and went down twice as far over the other side! Oh noes! Stopped before going over, but of course not right on top... so what now? I am angled about 30 degrees, laying back upside down looking at the sky for what seemed to be a very drawn moment before gravity realised my predicament and slid me backwards down the gravel. I managed to do a reverse half barrel role and ended up on my back with bike still stuck to my feet but all twisted around the wrong way.
I admit great disappointment at the waste of such amusement on absolutely no one! (I know, many lost points there :()

2. Bikeway, pulling up at a crossing reached out to a railing and grabbed air, slowly, still holding pleading fingers out to the railing that wasn't in reach fell to the opposite side, oh so gracefully. Caught myself with my right arm to the ground (recumbent) but now I was stuck, leaning at a great angle, with my feet un-unclipable at such an angle. Had to lower myself down onto my side, bike and all and then crawl out. MUCH to the amusement of my daughter and a stranger that said "I just don't know if I can help?"

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm

RosscoG wrote:Haaaaahahaha, these are classic.

Two for me.

Bear in mind I am on a recumbent, so not only was I in a much more awkward position in both than an upright but you can imagine how awkward it would look to... well, everyone else!
1. Charged a very steep gravely "hill" to realise half way up that it was a damn BMX jump and went down twice as far over the other side! Oh noes! Stopped before going over, but of course not right on top... so what now? I am angled about 30 degrees, laying back upside down looking at the sky for what seemed to be a very drawn moment before gravity realised my predicament and slid me backwards down the gravel. I managed to do a reverse half barrel role and ended up on my back with bike still stuck to my feet but all twisted around the wrong way.
I admit great disappointment at the waste of such amusement on absolutely no one! (I know, many lost points there :()

2. Bikeway, pulling up at a crossing reached out to a railing and grabbed air, slowly, still holding pleading fingers out to the railing that wasn't in reach fell to the opposite side, oh so gracefully. Caught myself with my right arm to the ground (recumbent) but now I was stuck, leaning at a great angle, with my feet un-unclipable at such an angle. Had to lower myself down onto my side, bike and all and then crawl out. MUCH to the amusement of my daughter and a stranger that said "I just don't know if I can help?"
Ha ha ha ha!!

I had a clipstack at the gym the other day, trying to adjust the seat height on a stationary gym bike without releasing my feet from the massive grey rubber pedal straps. I'm sure it looked hilarious but it was a terribly awkward fall and actually quite dangerous. I think you could easily twist a knee or snap a shin bone doing that.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Well it looks like the competition is hotting up!

sagara0510, I reckon the other cyclists would have looked down empathetically and thought, "yep, been there, done that!".

A "reverse reaching" clipstack on a RECUMBENT by RosscoG! That's original. My commendations for the embarrassment of stacking it in front of your daughter as well as the audience involvement. Sliding down a BMX jump on the gravel was a pretty good effort too. Good old gravity. It might suck, but where would we be without it?

And Arkle - a clip stack on a gym bike? That's something I would never have considered! Glad to hear you're OK. Very creative.
2010 Oppy C6

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:28 pm

I've had 4 clipstacks in the past 3 weeks on riding my new bike. I was going the write the 'most embarrassing one was', but come to think of it, they're all pretty embarrassing. The most recent one was yesterday riding with my boss for ride to work day. Unclipped my left foot for a right hand turn, we were stationary, I lent right and down I went. Right in front of the free ride to work to breakfast place and heaps of other riders :oops:
i love my bike(s)

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:04 pm

My best clipstack was when I was touring. Riding through amsterdam, came across some roadworks, so hopped up onto the footpath to get around. Footpath was pretty chewed up too, they had some big holes filled in with sand. I was dawdling through the sand, and tipped over because I'm a retard. As I was touring my bike was weighed down with a whole bunch of crap, and I couldn't twist my left foot out as it was pinned underneath. I couldn't lift the bike off as it was too heavy. I'm sure the road workers had a good laugh at my expense as I struggled out.

I thought the netherlands was supposed to be bike friendly :P

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:05 am

erin wrote:I've had 4 clipstacks in the past 3 weeks on riding my new bike. I was going the write the 'most embarrassing one was', but come to think of it, they're all pretty embarrassing. The most recent one was yesterday riding with my boss for ride to work day. Unclipped my left foot for a right hand turn, we were stationary, I lent right and down I went. Right in front of the free ride to work to breakfast place and heaps of other riders :oops:
Riding with the boss and stacking it in front of the free ride to work breakfast crowd ... That's impressive!
2010 Oppy C6

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:15 am

lethoso wrote:My best clipstack was when I was touring. Riding through amsterdam, came across some roadworks, so hopped up onto the footpath to get around. Footpath was pretty chewed up too, they had some big holes filled in with sand. I was dawdling through the sand, and tipped over because I'm a retard. As I was touring my bike was weighed down with a whole bunch of crap, and I couldn't twist my left foot out as it was pinned underneath. I couldn't lift the bike off as it was too heavy. I'm sure the road workers had a good laugh at my expense as I struggled out.

I thought the netherlands was supposed to be bike friendly :P
Nice work with the entrapment. Most of us are content with just falling over!
2010 Oppy C6

csy75

Postby csy75 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 am

crossing a busy road at a set of lights in newtown with many cars watching, I decided to clip both feet in to get across a little quicker.

as I missed completely clipping in, my rear end landed hard on the seat and a certain male appendage ( plural ) was slammed between the seat and my rear thigh. this hurt somewhat, as noted by the small ladylike scream i managed, as i finished crossing the road to the other side.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:58 am

Saturday morning in peak cycling hour, heard something metalic so i stopped to double check nothing had fallen off / out of my back pocket. went to put my right foot down, bike had other plans and veered left. Having clipstacked it only the day before I was going to do everything in my power to avoid it, and avoid the embarssment of the laughter of the quickly approaching peleton... It was bin night last night apparently and a lovely row of yellow and red otto bins... i know they could help me.. so with feet still clipped in, and bike quickly heading left, i twist my torse and grab for dear life at the otto bins flailing about o so elegantly (like a cat drowning really!) and then the bins all go over, i go over getting epic scratches on my new bike, rubbish goes flying and then the peleton in their team kit goes zooming past (sniggering and giggling) along with all the other main road traffic. To make matters worse I was then stuck there like a beached whale still attached and struggling to get my feet out, amongs a pile of rubbish and bins :(

:oops: :cry: :oops:
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Sorry to say, but that made me laugh, the picture of it happening is just too funny. I hope you're OK though and I'm sorry about the scratches on your new bike.
i love my bike(s)

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:58 pm

erin wrote:Sorry to say, but that made me laugh, the picture of it happening is just too funny. I hope you're OK though and I'm sorry about the scratches on your new bike.
I was about a month and a half ago and i still have the bruises on my thigh and shins! ohhh and my ankle got swollen and black from where the pedal hit it :roll: thats gone after some serious treatment but the rest wont go. Theres something funky going on with my bruise reabsorption at the moment. :(

Comedian

Best Clipstack Award

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:20 pm

erin wrote:Sorry to say, but that made me laugh, the picture of it happening is just too funny. I hope you're OK though and I'm sorry about the scratches on your new bike.
yep.. That was wheelie funny! :mrgreen:

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Schmenz wrote:
I was about a month and a half ago and i still have the bruises on my thigh and shins! ohhh and my ankle got swollen and black from where the pedal hit it :roll: thats gone after some serious treatment but the rest wont go. Theres something funky going on with my bruise reabsorption at the moment. :(
Ouch! that is a long time for bruises to last, they must have been pretty bad. Glad to ankle is better now though.
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:06 pm

Comedian wrote:
yep.. That was wheelie funny! :mrgreen:
Oh, you're such a comedian :wink:
i love my bike(s)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Oh dear, Schmenz :oops: :lol: Good war story and exactly the sort of thing that would happen to me if I ever tried those contraptions.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 pm

csy75 wrote:crossing a busy road at a set of lights in newtown with many cars watching, I decided to clip both feet in to get across a little quicker.

as I missed completely clipping in, my rear end landed hard on the seat and a certain male appendage ( plural ) was slammed between the seat and my rear thigh. this hurt somewhat, as noted by the small ladylike scream i managed, as i finished crossing the road to the other side.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Remind me not to try clipping both feet in simultaneously!
2010 Oppy C6

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Ouch! Schmenz I hope you're ok. I know it's not nice to laugh at the misfortunes of others, but it IS funny!

When you got back, did anyone ask "Where you bin?" or "Where you wheelie bin?" LOL! Sorry about that. I know it's rubbish, but somebody was bound to ask sooner or later!!! :mrgreen: :D
2010 Oppy C6

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 pm

bahahahaa

its ok... i was laughing myself as it happened coz if felt ridiculous and it was such a lame attempt fumbling at the bins. It was ok for the split second before they went over.. from then I was giggling... until i felt my ankle.

No friends to laugh with me as I was on my own :( but everyone on heathcote rd got to see! :D

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Schmenz wrote:... Having clipstacked it only the day before... To make matters worse I was then stuck there like a beached whale still attached and struggling to get my feet out..
I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you have small feet and have 3 bolt type cleats (Look, SPD-SL etc). I've noticed that this combination always causes release problems and suspect that the small shoes have a tighter radius curve on the sole of the shoe which distorts the cleat. I put a washer under the front of the cleat at the front bolt to "flatten" the curve on my wife's shoes and she found clipping in and out much easier. Some Mr Sheen on the pedal as a lubricant between it and the cleat wouldn't hurt either.

After all that my wife decided she needed to be able to walk after riding so she changed to Crank Bros pedals and MTB shoes and they work well for her too.

Cheers,

Cameron