Had surgery today...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Missy24

Had surgery today...

Postby Missy24 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Think Friday is too soon to aim to be back on the bike, I had an infection under the skin that needed to be removed, near my lower back.

I've had it before and recovered really quickly.

Morphine is great by the way!!!

twizzle

Re: Had surgery today...

Postby twizzle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Get well soon. :)
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

provoked

Postby provoked » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Get better!
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks boys, so do you think that means no bike on Friday? I haven't taken any more painkillers since I left the hospital, but I was given a nice amount of morphine injections last night, but that doesn't last that long and the anethesiest made a cocktail and that was great but that has totally worn off now.

So nice to be home, I've had 4 stays in hospital and that was the worst by far, I didn't get to eat for 15 hours because we thought I would go in that night and I didn't and I had gone into the Emergency Room in the morning after not having eaten for 12 hours so that was like 27 hours or something... when they told me at midnight last night that I wasn't allowed to have the surgery then, I was in tears for about 3 hours, they let me eat and I was being a pain so I only ate one triangle sandwich and an apple juice, I would have frankly preffered 2 litres of water.

The man who came to collect me with the trolley thought it strange that I was sooooo excited to be going to surgery this morning.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 pm

Heal well mate :D
Regarding Friday, only way to be sure is to hop on and see how tight the skin is at the op site when yer in the drops. If in doubt, hop off.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:24 am

Having been hacked up a few times for mole removal : it depends. Different skin areas heal at different rates. I've had wounds on the legs open after the stitches have been removed on two occasions, but ones on the back and stomach have been trouble free. If the wound is covered with one of those waterproof wound patches, and you don't have pain or bleeding... probably O.K., after all, look at what the pro riders get back on the bike with! AFAIK, the main reason they want you to take it easy and keep the wound dry is to minimise scarring and avoid infection.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:31 am

twizzle wrote:If the wound is covered with one of those waterproof wound patches, and you don't have pain or bleeding... probably O.K., after all, look at what the pro riders get back on the bike with! AFAIK, the main reason they want you to take it easy and keep the wound dry is to minimise scarring and avoid infection.
Sweat trapping under the dressing is not a desirable factor for a healing wound. Fine for pros who can have the wound cleaned and re-dressed regularly, not so convenient at home, especially when it's hard to see and reach.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

aussieboy13

Postby aussieboy13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:02 am

Hope you heal quickly. :D
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-- Albert Einstein

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks guys.

(AT) sogood - that was also my concern, however I have access to nurse in the home and I've been told to use the local clinic if I require additional dressings to be changed.

I think once the packing ( stuffing ) in the wound is gone I will be okay and it will be easier for me to look after. Will wait for the packing to be removed entirely I think, because then nothing can hide in it and it's just like a cut.

Im surprised at how sick it was making me, it was really contributing to my cold and ny temperature.

Just need the wound to heel and I'm gold again!

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 am

Ok, given it's healing by secondary intention, I'd say stay off the bike and wait until it has properly granulated and starting to epithelialise. Rushing will not be beneficial. Take care.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 am

sogood wrote:Ok, given it's healing by secondary intention, I'd say stay off the bike and wait until it has properly granulated and starting to epithelialise. Rushing will not be beneficial. Take care.
In engrish?
2010 BMC SLC01

aussieboy13

Postby aussieboy13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:37 am

hannos wrote:
sogood wrote:Ok, given it's healing by secondary intention, I'd say stay off the bike and wait until it has properly granulated and starting to epithelialise. Rushing will not be beneficial. Take care.
In engrish?
Probably meaning waiting for it to close over.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-- Albert Einstein

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 am

Yeah sogood... could you explain it in simple terms for me, I can't even pronounce what I have

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:55 am

Sorry. Basically you have a fresh raw wound and one that's being left open to drain out all the infection/dead tissue. And rather than closing the skin over a deep pocket, the wound will heal from the base up, leaving no trapping for further infection to gather. Over time, the base of your wound would start to be covered by "new tissue" which will begin to provide a temporary barrier to the normal tissue underneath. Eventually skin cells will start to encroach from the wound edges and cover that "new tissue" for complete healing. So as said, until you have that layer of "new tissue" and the wound has stayed infection free, I would not try to do too much.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 am

Finally... nurse will be here at about 12pm and I can have a shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been dying for a shower

provoked

Postby provoked » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:00 am

Showers are cool.

Sogood is cool too. You a doc?
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks sogood

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:13 pm

aussieboy13 wrote:
hannos wrote:
In engrish?
Probably meaning waiting for it to close over.
:lol:

I wonder if there is a BabelFish translate for Medical->English.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Be good, Miss-chief and do as the doc (or Sogood) tells you. Heal quick.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 pm

sogood wrote:So as said, until you have that layer of "new tissue" and the wound has stayed infection free, I would not try to do too much.
As always, sogood is on the money. Try to err on the side of caution. Skin on your back tends to have to stretch a lot (especially on a road bike) - so you need to be extra careful. I once made the mistake of crawling under the house to run some cabling within a couple weeks of having a mole removed - it hadn't healed strongly enough, opened up and got infected. In my case, it was out-of-sight, out-of-mind, and I didn't realise how daft it was.

Hope the pain fades and healing is quick - in the meantime, walking might be fun - especially away from the refrigerator :) Not that you need it - sounds like the hospital had you on an excellent diet program for your stay - should have charged you extra.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:50 pm

I think the pain medication makes you not very hungry, I'm not sure.

The nurse has come and gone and took out the packing... that hurt a lot and put more in... the second part didn't hurt that much.

Now I'm bored...

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Missy24 wrote:I think the pain medication makes you not very hungry, I'm not sure.

The nurse has come and gone and took out the packing... that hurt a lot and put more in... the second part didn't hurt that much.

Now I'm bored...
No one would have a good appetite when there's a big contaminated open wound on their back. So relax, your appetite will return.

Go for a leisurely walk, get some sunshine and fresh air and they'll make you feel better.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:08 pm

I will walk to the tram... and then go to the bike shop.

I've heard to promote wound healing that Vitamin C and Protein are good, so will keep that in mind for when I do decide to eat

provoked

Postby provoked » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Haha.

You had to walk to the BIKE shop didn't you. Which hospital you at?
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

DrJay

Had surgery today...

Postby DrJay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Sogood speaks the truth. He has clear expertise in this area, so I'd suggest following his advice, unless you have contrary advice from someone who has actually examined you.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager