Had surgery today...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Missy24

Re: Had surgery today...

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:22 pm

I was at the Austin, but now I'm out, I was allowed to leave about 4 hours after the surgury... I tell you, I couldn't get out of their fast enough ;)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:25 pm

DrJay wrote:Sogood speaks the truth. He has clear expertise in this area, so I'd suggest following his advice, unless you have contrary advice from someone who has actually examined you.
Of cause he has expertise in this area... and every area, have you read half his posts? Yikes... lots of stuff in them posts which are obviously from someone who is very smart.

I suppose I could also PM Dr_Mutley he too has expertise and is a nice guy, rode with him here in vic earlier in the year.

Will be doing what sogood says

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks DrJay and Missy. But DrJay is right, the last say should always be by those who are directly involved with your care. Internet advice can only go so far and always with a grain of salt. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Missy24 wrote:I will walk to the tram... and then go to the bike shop.

I've heard to promote wound healing that Vitamin C and Protein are good, so will keep that in mind for when I do decide to eat
I heard Vitamin E, but I just did a quick check and it seems Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.

Hope you are feeling better soon
<removed by request>

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 pm

sogood wrote:Thanks DrJay and Missy. But DrJay is right, the last say should always be by those who are directly involved with your care. Internet advice can only go so far and always with a grain of salt. :wink:
I showed the nurse what you said and she said that it was good advice

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:33 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Missy24 wrote:I will walk to the tram... and then go to the bike shop.

I've heard to promote wound healing that Vitamin C and Protein are good, so will keep that in mind for when I do decide to eat
I heard Vitamin E, but I just did a quick check and it seems Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.

Hope you are feeling better soon
Cool the nurse also mentioned those E and A but I forgot.. thanks

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Missy24 wrote:I've heard to promote wound healing that Vitamin C and Protein are good, so will keep that in mind for when I do decide to eat
Don't forget Zinc. Vit C and Zinc (and obviously protein) are good for wound healing. But I doubt you'll need supplement if you continue to eat properly. Different in the frail and elderly.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:38 pm

the rate we are going I will be fixed by Sunday

Fabby

Postby Fabby » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell.
Heal soon.
Cheers

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks Fabby... I'll be as good as new in no time ;)

Fabby

Postby Fabby » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Good to hear :)

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Missy24 wrote:I think the pain medication makes you not very hungry, I'm not sure.

The nurse has come and gone and took out the packing... that hurt a lot and put more in... the second part didn't hurt that much.

Now I'm bored...
Don't know about the effect on hunger, but some pain killers (e.g codeine based) make things pack up somewhat at the other end :) Make sure you get plenty of good healthy fibre and water etc.,. And keep laughin' - it's the best medicine.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 pm

wombatK wrote:
Missy24 wrote:I think the pain medication makes you not very hungry, I'm not sure.

The nurse has come and gone and took out the packing... that hurt a lot and put more in... the second part didn't hurt that much.

Now I'm bored...
Don't know about the effect on hunger, but some pain killers (e.g codeine based) make things pack up somewhat at the other end :) Make sure you get plenty of good healthy fibre and water etc.,. And keep laughin' - it's the best medicine.
Yep, know about that one - been through this surgery before, this is the second time around

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 pm

but last time I was fatter and a smoker and did little or no exercise... so its a bit different and it was five years ago

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Missy24 wrote:Think Friday is too soon to aim to be back on the bike, I had an infection under the skin that needed to be removed, near my lower back.

I've had it before and recovered really quickly.
I hope it wasn't anyone on the forums. Getting under your skin that is. :)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Best wishes
Perry

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Missy24 wrote:but last time I was fatter and a smoker and did little or no exercise... so its a bit different and it was five years ago
That'll make a world of difference. You're now in control of a lot more of your fate, healthwise.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:44 pm

wombatK wrote:
Missy24 wrote:but last time I was fatter and a smoker and did little or no exercise... so its a bit different and it was five years ago
That'll make a world of difference. You're now in control of a lot more of your fate, healthwise.
Man I've got tablets for everything now, constipation, pain... morphine... drugs are really cheap when you get them from the hospital

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Missy24 wrote:Man I've got tablets for everything now, constipation, pain... morphine... drugs are really cheap when you get them from the hospital
But they often only give you 3 days supply on discharge as a cost saving measure... :twisted:

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:39 pm

sogood wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Man I've got tablets for everything now, constipation, pain... morphine... drugs are really cheap when you get them from the hospital
But they often only give you 3 days supply on discharge as a cost saving measure... :twisted:
Ah, there's a simple reason for that. It isn't cost saving, it's cost shifting. From hospital, state health pays, from a chemist, any subsidy is federal (I'm talking about expensive drugs that are subsidized down to the $29 or whatever the cap is at the moment.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:12 pm

DrJay wrote:
sogood wrote:
Ah, there's a simple reason for that. It isn't cost saving, it's cost shifting. From hospital, state health pays, from a chemist, any subsidy is federal (I'm talking about expensive drugs that are subsidized down to the $29 or whatever the cap is at the moment.
Well they gave me more than three days of stuff, maybe thats cause I've got nursing in the home coming out to me, I have 150 panadols... whose bright idea was that and I have 4 trays of oxynorm but i only take that before they take the dressing of and soemtimes at night.

I've had to take another 2 days off work, because of the time we change the dressings, we have to put all this packing in there and because its starting to heal its also starting to stick a little and any later and it will have stuck a lot and it hurts enough when they put that gauze rope soaked in benadine in there as it is...

I think it cost $15.00 from the hospital

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I was talking to the nurse today about riding my bike. She says that because its rather high that I should jump on my bike and find out if it hurts... thanks Pip

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Okay went riding with this bloke from Holland today.. poor bloke having to put up with me being as slow and crapo as on my first day back on the bike... hard slog.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Missy24 wrote:Okay went riding with this bloke from Holland today.. poor bloke having to put up with me being as slow and crapo as on my first day back on the bike... hard slog.
But.... the good news is you were on your bike. :)
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:57 pm

twizzle wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Okay went riding with this bloke from Holland today.. poor bloke having to put up with me being as slow and crapo as on my first day back on the bike... hard slog.
But.... the good news is you were on your bike. :)
Yep... did a nice easy 50km into a headwind

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Headwinds suck.

How's the wound?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...