Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

hartleymartin

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm

vanbree wrote:My latest find, a simplex cycloid with 3 speed sturmy archer dated 1950 has rod operated drum brakes made in amsterdam. Most probably came over by boat with a dutch immigrant, could have been the same boat my parents came over on
Oh man, with a bicycle like that, I'm so envious... I now hate you (nothing personal!)
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:07 pm

vanbree wrote:My latest find, a simplex cycloid with 3 speed sturmy archer dated 1950 has rod operated drum brakes made in amsterdam. Most probably came over by boat with a dutch immigrant, could have been the same boat my parents came over on
Well, I'll be..... I never thought I'd see one of those over here in Oz. Great find! That is really worth keeping as much of the original paint and finish as possible. What size are the wheels, they look very high quality rims. A lot of the Waffen-Rollers used 700c dia wheels with 'real' 700c size tyres, about 38c to 45c.
Cheers
Richard

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Wheels are 28 x 1 1/2 and the rims are a very solid alloy

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:57 pm

vanbree wrote:Wheels are 28 x 1 1/2 and the rims are a very solid alloy
It's lovely vanbree, can't wait to see it fitted up with tyres and rolling again.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

stnfldr

Postby stnfldr » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:27 pm

I picked this up in the council clean up last week end . The rear wheel was cactus, and the teeth on the cranks were chipped. Its the first decent bike I have found.

Ben

ImageImage

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:07 pm

cludence wrote:Great find on the bike.

I have been fortunate to have found a number of decent bikes via council clean ups. The following one has to be the best I have found. The man who threw it out stood and stared in disgust when I picked it up. You would have thought he would be happy it would get used instead of crushed for recycling.

It was missing wheels and pedals. Aside from that it was complete.

Hi Karen,

I just noticed your find - WOW - what a pickup. ALAN's came in a few different models and if you don't already know, I can say you have the best ALAN model produced called the Super Record, or it could be the Sprint. Indications are the triangle cutouts on the stays only found on the top models, the neat screwed and glued seat stays integrated into the seat lug, not just screwed like the cheaper 'Competition' model. If you look at the top of the seat tube just under the seat cluster on the drive side there should be a stamp indicating the model name and date of manufacture. If that is not present it is probably an old 70's model, not 80's. Should say something like RECORD0782, meaning super record model manufactured July 1982.

All that is missing is the decals which you can get from Greg Softley on ebay - 'Cyclomondo'

This bike is the Sprint model . I spoke Alberto Falconi , to the son of the original owner, who said the frames were stamped by hand and this one had been misspelt when stamped. The first two letters of his first name were put with the first two letters of his sister's name Anna, to make the name ALAN.
Congratulations on your incredible find.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:19 pm

I've posted this in the bike gallery, but it also belongs here I guess:

My friend's dad (a cycling enthusiast himself with too many bikes to keep track of) found this forgotten treasure in the storage space under the house yesterday, and, knowing that I was looking for a fixer upper, offered to give it to me. :)

No idea what the frame is, I couldn't find any markings on it today when I went to check it out. It has a YoungII stem, Mavic rims and a new rear tire.

From the 10 minutes checking out today it looks like I will need to get new tubes, pedals and eventually a new seat for it (picture doesn't show it, but it has a big chunk missing).

Didn't have a tape measure on hand, but I jumped on it and tried to size it up best I could, also compared it to my current bike, seemed to be about the right size. My mate's dad used to ride it daily and he is about the same height as I am.

The frame and rims are in good condition, although the paint has seen better days. I plan to eventually get it re-painted/powdercoated after I strip it down and clean it all up.

Might also convert it to a fixed gear, but I like the older 10-speeds so it will stay with gears for now.

Reasonably light for an old steel bike.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 pm

I found a whole collection of alloy rims for singles.

Image Image

Hubs were all cut out, bar one, but the rims will clean up nicely. 4 sets. + a rusty pair of 28" steel rims

Also, does anyone know what these brakes are? Wondering if they are anything interesting?
This cyclops looked pretty run down but had nice cinelli bars and stem

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Nothing too startling compared to some of the other beauties in this thread, but I really like this just for the great little snapshot of where Mountain Bikes were in their evolution when this bike was new. I am guessing (without being able to find or x-reference any date codes just yet) 1985- > 1987. Probably not long after the Japanese manufacturers were trying to cash in on the MTB craze out of the US.

A seemingly quite original Kuwahara "Aries" model Mountain bike (except for the Giant branded seat I'd say is later). Initially when I spotted it with the rack, I thought it was more a touring frame, but I realised that it was 26" wheeled and had no rack specific braze-ons and the rack is attached to the seat stays with p-clamps.

I've only just got it home from work last night - although its tyres are perished and chain a smidge seized, its tubes seem to be holding air, the cantilever brakes still seem to grab well and I am itching to give it a change of rubber and good spritz with WD40 and take it for a spin. I think she'll clean up quite nicely and be a good period curiosity piece.
  • ST (ctc) = 58cm
    TT (ctc) = 59cm
    wheelbase = 111cm (!!)
    Sugino VP triple crank
    Shimano Light Action RDL523 Rear Der.
    Suzue solid axle, high flange hubs
(hopefully these will link through to higher res picasa versions)
Image Image
Image Image
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

boatonthehill

Postby boatonthehill » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:45 pm

04032009195 by boatonthehill, on Flickr

this is one of my more interesting finds.
JT McDonald 'Aussie Cycles' made in Perth serial no. 1959. Old heavy and small tubing, someone has had a go at getting the seat tube out and butchered it a little.
There is a dent in the downtube .
but somehow it still spins a wheel front and back nice n true.

saw a restored one very similar a while back on display by the Perth Historical Bicycle Society at a Tour De Perth race. The old chap there tells me the dispaly won the Beverely - Perth race in the 50's. I told him the serial number on mine and he said it sounds like from a similar era.

It is waay down on my projects list at the moment, not to sure what to do with it to be honest. If I restore it I would like to do it as orignal as possible but the idea of finding parts to suit makes my head spin!

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Image
That's a VERY cool find 8)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Slow6 wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:----*snip*---8<---
That's a VERY cool find 8)
Yeah.. I am well chuffed with it. Repacked the wheel bearings, gave the chain a soak in WD40, general clean of the drivetrain, removed the rack & replaced the tyres. She rides like an Oprah fan; Lazy, overweight and probably just that bit too comfortable. :twisted:

Future plans are to clean up the chrome a bit, replace the Kuwahara headset with another example I have in better nick and source some cables & canitilever straddle hardware to replace the surface rusted but otherwise perfectly functional originals....
--

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:01 pm

dangerous wrote:
cludence wrote:Great find on the bike.

Hi Karen,

I just noticed your find - WOW - what a pickup. ALAN's came in a few different models and if you don't already know, I can say you have the best ALAN model produced called the Super Record, or it could be the Sprint. Indications are the triangle cutouts on the stays only found on the top models, the neat screwed and glued seat stays integrated into the seat lug, not just screwed like the cheaper 'Competition' model. If you look at the top of the seat tube just under the seat cluster on the drive side there should be a stamp indicating the model name and date of manufacture. If that is not present it is probably an old 70's model, not 80's. Should say something like RECORD0782, meaning super record model manufactured July 1982.

All that is missing is the decals which you can get from Greg Softley on ebay - 'Cyclomondo'

This bike is the Sprint model . I spoke Alberto Falconi , to the son of the original owner, who said the frames were stamped by hand and this one had been misspelt when stamped. The first two letters of his first name were put with the first two letters of his sister's name Anna, to make the name ALAN.
Congratulations on your incredible find.

I have been away from the forum and missed this post. Thanks for the info! I recall there being numbering stamped on the frame. I will have a look tomorrow and see. Cheers.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Now that this thread has been bumped and a smidge active again - anyone else vote it for a sticky? I think we'd likely get a few more contributors?
--

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Reading this thread, i have part sincere admiration....part jealously, but mostly a sinking self realisation that im destined to go through life consigned to being one of those that through no fault of their own, will always pay full price for just about everything they ever buy.

I larely blame my parents for this (hey - seems to be the fashion these days). My father was a 'fullpayer'' (couldnt strike a bargain if his life depended on it), like his daddy before him. My mother always forbade us as kids from bringing anything back from the tip runs with dad on the weekends, and even baulked at anything second-hand (she grew up in a dirt poor family of 12 and was the second youngest with all the hand-me-downs so can understand it)

I love second hand stuff, and teach my kids to reuse everything - but sadly, as much as i try to counter it - i have a complete inability to walk into a bargain, even accidently........ but i admire those that can, and reading of their exploits........
Last edited by landscapecadmonkey on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
chop wood

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 pm

For the love of god.... is there a Moderator in the house!?!?!?
(erm.. or is it I should have read some criteria somewhere that stipulates how a thread becomes sticky? I was lead to believe recently it was on a vote based system)
--

munga

Postby munga » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:11 am

i vote no.
everything will end up sticky'd. thread rarely falls off page 1 anyway..

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:39 am

And yea, I shall help-eth it.

Probably not retro enough, but a better find than usual for the parts stocks. I noticed a Centurion in hard garbage on sunday. I thought better of grabbing it, mainly owing to the fact it had suicide levers on it. Went back ten minutes later and picked it up :roll: . Centurion Cadenza, 4130/hi-ten mix, nothing flash, but nearly unmarked. Chain measures bang on 12" for 12 links, the brake pads look like they've seen about 25 revolutions, the (stamped) chainring teeth were barely used (but since thrown), and the Tange BB cup looks like they've been turned in twice. 27" wheels are utter crud, steel KK hubs, gal spokes and single wall rims. Anyone want a cheap frame??

Jim

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 am

The above was on the verge for about 30 seconds. Not sure of the make but I think it's a Kuwuhara.
And this has been posted before, but definitely my best score yet...
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Picked up this postie bicycle at a garage sale.

Single speed, coaster brake takes me back to being a kid with skid stops.

Very heavy but very cruisy and makes my roady feel soooo much lighter when I get back on it! :D

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Awesome! Ready made grocery getter!
--

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 pm

not much for me to say 'cept :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but happy for the good fortune of this being saved from the dump :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=33891
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:36 pm

here's a hillman i saved from the hard rubbish, unfortunatly the frame has a serious rust problemImage

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 pm

vanbree wrote:here's a hillman i saved from the hard rubbish, unfortunatly the frame has a serious rust problem
NIce.. is it worth taking to a frame builder/repairer a repair quote?

Regardless... still a few nice components on it worth setting aside or selling on. CInelli stems have a funny clamp diameter don't they - would suggest Cinelli bars with it?
--

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:15 am

HappyHumber wrote:
vanbree wrote:here's a hillman i saved from the hard rubbish, unfortunatly the frame has a serious rust problem
CInelli stems have a funny clamp diameter don't they - would suggest Cinelli bars with it?
Yup those look like the Giro d' Italia model. If you are going to break for parts let me know, they are my favorite handlebars.

I know pictures are flattering but I can't see too much rust on the frame or am I missing something?

Cheers
Richard