How long did it take to develop your routine?

Missy24

Re: How long did it take to develop your routine?

Postby Missy24 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm lucky to get out the door at the moment

Jen

Postby Jen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 pm

AFter 2 yrs I still forget things. I'm meant to do things like pump the tyres check the bike etc on the weekend. I try to leave most things either in my locker at work (eg toiletries etc), or set in my panniers (spare tubes, rain jacket, tools etc). The plan is to sort out the next day's clothes the night before AND pack them in the pannier, but it frequently doesn't happen that way. I still find I forget things, so I have a whole set of clothes that stay at work in the locker in case I need to grab an item I've forgotten from it. (it's not fun realising I've forgotten a bra and have to wear the sports one I had on in the ride in.) I tend to forget my phone still if I've put it on charge overnight.

It is good to hear that I'm not the only one forgetting things though!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:43 am

ft_critical wrote:My wife says I am a geek, but I wrote it out printed it and put it on the wall. Not kidding, here it is. Not for commuting, but for general riding.
I think you tick most of the boxes but there is still a little way to go. :shock:

Ask her for a blackberry for xmas and load it on.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

sim-o

How long did it take to develop your routine?

Postby sim-o » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 pm

I always eat breakfast and try to allow plenty of time in the morning, such that I can take my time getting ready and not forget things.

E.g this morning I was a bit slower getting ready and had woken a bit late. I thought i was ready and had gone outside and was about to get on the bike, then realized I had no water. That would have been bad considering it's supposed to be 30+ today in perth!
2011 Merida Ride 93
2012 Apollo MTB

cambalam

Postby cambalam » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:30 pm

What about getting used to the saddle?

Max

Postby Max » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 pm

cambalam wrote:What about getting used to the saddle?
The more you ride, the better it will feel.

Back on topic, I took a leaf out of ft_critical's book and put together a checklist. I tried it out the other day, and it really helped! :D I found that I wasn't stressing so much about getting things done in time or forgetting something. Every time I started getting wound up about forgetting something, I'd consult the checklist. And had it not been for that list, there were a couple things I would've forgotten about. So it's already proven its worth. I guess it's obvious, now, huh? :roll: :lol:

I've put together different checklists based on my destination. My regular commute to work doesn't require me to carry toiletries, change of clothes, shoes etc whilst my commute to town does. It seems obvious, but I am the sort of twit who would otherwise forget something important. Like, y'know, a change of clothes. Can you imagine turning up to a presentation wearing cycling gear? Oh, yeh, HOT STUFF!!! :lol:

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy