backofthebunch

Re: My First Fixie... Custom built.. =)

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 am

This guy is pretty much selling all his flash new gear on Fixed.org

Didn't rate it?

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Looks like he got caught up by the fixed "cool" image, went and dropped thousands on parts, used them for 2seconds and realised he doesnt like it.

love it. Although I always hoped this would result in bargains, none here :( . Gotta wait til the others fall off the wagon and the market floods first I spose

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:04 pm

yeah i reckon there'll be that many deep v's and b43's going cheaps

munga

Postby munga » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:50 pm

our grandkids will be restoring deep v's with eyeballs on them..

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 am

RE53LU wrote:the reason why i have 2 brakes is because on my 1st day riding the fixie and trying to brake using my pedals i ended up on the floor. I myself are not into doing tricks or being able to do skillfull skids using my pedals.. i just wanted a bike to replace the car that i have for sale, to get from point A to B and be safe along the way.. and yes i do not want to end up me and the bike under someone elses car
I can see why this guy ended up getting fed up and selling it off. Honestly who starts out cycle commuting at 23 on a fixed gear bike that looks like that? He probably had a few close calls and decided it wasn't for him. It's a pity though as even a single speed would have done him pretty well provided there aren't any hills around.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am

What age did you start commuting/daily riding elStado? And so what if he did come late, I'd rather see a hipster on a blinged up fixie than tooling it up in a riceburner with brrrmpissss exhaust disturbing the serenity near my old age home...
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:45 pm

flashrider wrote:What age did you start commuting/daily riding elStado? And so what if he did come late, I'd rather see a hipster on a blinged up fixie than tooling it up in a riceburner with brrrmpissss exhaust disturbing the serenity near my old age home...
If I started trying to commute straight out on a ridiculous 'fixie' like that I would have probably been put off riding as well. I wasn't saying anything wrong with him riding, even riding a fixie, but to start out with something like that was bound to end in tears.. or the bike being sold and said person swearing to never bother with bikes again.

PS- I started commuting/daily riding when I was about 6 years old. Been riding to school, then highschool, then work, then uni almost exclusively ever since. I only owned a car for about a year and a half after I finished high school and even then I cycled most days unless it was particularly hot (I lived up north in the tropics). Im 22 now. I am glad that I have spent so many years riding various bikes, but honestly now wonder old mate was put off riding if he started out on a bike like that.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:22 pm

As I said, I love the carbon, but a fixie without any steel beats the point I think. Though it must be very nice to ride.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:54 pm

EvilGenius wrote:As I said, I love the carbon, but a fixie without any steel beats the point I think. Though it must be very nice to ride.
What's the point?

Fixies are supposed to be fast, fun and light.. exactly what CF provides.

Just because the majority of us couldn't justify spending that sort of $$ on it doesn't mean it's pointless. :wink:

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:21 am

elStado wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:As I said, I love the carbon, but a fixie without any steel beats the point I think. Though it must be very nice to ride.
What's the point?

Fixies are supposed to be fast, fun and light.. exactly what CF provides.

Just because the majority of us couldn't justify spending that sort of $$ on it doesn't mean it's pointless. :wink:
I thought the whole point of having a steel frame on a fixie was the smoother ride it gives compared to cf or al frames? That and the durability and lower maintenance of steel frames. Oh, and the price, don't really want to leave a cf bike out the front of the pub/coffee shop/uni.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:24 am

Bingis wrote:I thought the whole point of having a steel frame on a fixie was the smoother ride it gives compared to cf or al frames? That and the durability and lower maintenance of steel frames. Oh, and the price, don't really want to leave a cf bike out the front of the pub/coffee shop/uni.
True, and I agree. I personally would never consider a CF bike on a fixie, not even the forks.

However as exemplified CF can make sense if you have the ca$h to burn.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am

running round in circles here, i'll leave you to it 8)

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:29 am

munga wrote:running round in circles here, i'll leave you to it 8)
It's crackin me up too.
debating the comments of a 12 year old kid who has probably never ridden either CF or fixed, but comments like he's an expert. :lol:
Internet forums are the best entertainment.

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:19 pm

brauluver wrote:
It's crackin me up too.
debating the comments of a 12 year old kid who has probably never ridden either CF or fixed, but comments like he's an expert. :lol:
hahaha yes :lol:

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Actually I rode my first one just 30 minutes ago. I still think your bike contains to much CF.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:47 pm

brauluver wrote:
It's crackin me up too.
I'm 13 not 12...

8)

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:30 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Actually I rode my first one just 30 minutes ago. I still think your bike contains to much CF.
And your posts contain too much BS :wink:

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:15 am

brauluver wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Actually I rode my first one just 30 minutes ago. I still think your bike contains to much CF.
And your posts contain too much BS :wink:
Meh, Screw this thread, it's getting me, and in general , us, nowhere. And on my last note, I still like your bike RE you must have sold that car for alot to afford all those CF bits.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:09 pm

elStado wrote:I can see why this guy ended up getting fed up and selling it off. Honestly who starts out cycle commuting at 23 on a fixed gear bike that looks like that? He probably had a few close calls and decided it wasn't for him. It's a pity though as even a single speed would have done him pretty well provided there aren't any hills around.
i think alfa's just one of those guys with money for toys and places form over function. what's a 2k bike when your coil-over's cost more than that?