Beating the system - the cycling commuting section
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
I'm looking to commute to work a couple of times a week from near the corner of Doncaster and Blackburn Roads into the World Trade Centre on the Yarra.
My wifes suggestion is Doncaster Road onto High Street through Kew then down to Richmond, Bridge Road onto Wellington Pde, Flinders Street????
What would the best path be in your opinions?
2nd question, best sort of bike? There are a few hills there, not earth shattering, but none the less. Budget is about $500.00 and happy to buy second hand.
1) The new bus lane makes the ride from Blackburn road to the Eastern Fwy safer. Then take the bike track into the city for a casual/safe ride.
2) Continue on Doncaster road and head straight/right over Bouke road into Kilby road. It's a quiet road with cycle lane that takes you to Chandler Hwy Kew. I ride the road (500m) but you can also use the bike track down Earl Street. Cross the Eastern Fwy and take Yarra Blvd to Collingwood. Exit the Blvd at Gipps Street, cycle lanes all the way to St Patricks (Gipps, Wellington, Albert St). I then take Flinders Street towards Port Melbourne, you will turn left onto Spencer/Clarendon Street.
3) Like (2) but continue from Yarra Blvd (exit updated bridge opp Ikea at Church St) on the Yarra river trail. Adds some kms but take you to Crown. Great ride.
4) I often ride Whitehorse/Cotham/High/Bridge/Flinders to Port Melbounre. I like the trams, they seems to separate the cars a bit. Give the trams drivers courtesy and you'll soon see them slowing to avoid stopping in front of you. They are nice guys.
5) Take a spoonful of cement dust and turn right at Shoppo. Take the big dipper (Williamsoms road) past Westerfolds, turn left onto Rosehill and ride through Lwr Plenty to Heidelberg. Take Burgundy and turn left onto Upper Heidelberg road. Continue through to Amcor, turn left onto Chandler Hwy, right onto Yarra Blvd and finish like (2) or (3).
6) Ride through Warrandyte, Take Mount Pleasent, leave Eltham and join (5)
Best bike: Only a proper road bike will do. Get some tougher tyres (Conti 4 Season-25mm) and you'll enjoy it. Flatbars roadies are too heavy for Doncaster East to Crown IMO.
PS: Cycling gets addictive. I've started asking myself if a detour via Kinglake before work is possible. So far Kangaroo Ground has been my limit.
Weekends: Giant TCR Advanced SL1 - Full carbon, Dura-ace, Custom 50mm tubulars
Commute: Giant TCR Alliance 1 - Carbon / Alloy Frame, full Ultegra G/set, Dura-ace 24mm CL rims, AYUP lights
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]