Sparrow Hill. Wow!

rog on a bike

Sparrow Hill. Wow!

Postby rog on a bike » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi All
I rode Sparrow Hill for the first time last week and all I can say is I can't Waite to get back. :D Did the red outer loop, except the mad cow bit but inadvertently did the inner loop. :? total distance 29.8 km.

Is it just me or is this a really nice set of single tracks. I found the harder you went the more technical it appeared. I also noted the longer you spend out there the harder it was to stay on the bike. :lol: Bobsled isn't all that technical but because I was so stuffed I didn't pick how quick I was going. A couple of near misses, just short of a sudden stoppage brought things back to reality. :lol: :lol: :D

I was originally going to ride Kowan Forrest, the old 24 hour circuit but thankfully was steered to Sparrow hill by Brian of Hammer and Cycle, Quean Beyan . Thanks for that Brian.

As stated I haven,t heard much about this ride but I for one will be sprooking its virtues. :mrgreen:
Cheers Rog
EVERY HILL HAS A CREST. GETTING THERE BEFORE THE HEART ATTACK IS THE TRICK.

brendancg

Re: Sparrow Hill. Wow!

Postby brendancg » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Did the Mont there last year. Awesome. They are heading back this year for a follow up but my lazy mates and I didn't get a start.
Yesterday was an easy day.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:02 pm

What would i tell you if i thought it was to far to drive for me :P. Hahahaha only because Stromlo is an 8min drive from my door so i tend to go there more often then Sparrow. Def a nice place to ride though. Kind of what Majura was like in the late 1990's before MTB really took off. Unfortunately I don't want to think what Sparrow might be like in 5years so maybe keep it to yourself ;)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Why are you driving? If it is 8min by car be a purist and ride it!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:27 pm

DarrylH wrote:Why are you driving? If it is 8min by car be a purist and ride it!
I ain't riding the heavy MTB dualie there :P . I'd rather drive and have more energy to hit the trails on arrival, not to mention have spares/tools in the car etc. I do enough Km on the road bike for me to drive to stromlo whenever I'm up for a MTB ride, plus most times its on the way home for work.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:49 pm

My friend enjoyed this as part of the Gear Up Girl MTB weekend. She liked Mt. Stromlo but Sparrow Hill was pretty eventful for her. The Hill has also encouraged her to do more MTB. :-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 am

Living in Canberra I've really got no excuses and should get out to see what everyone is raving about.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:38 am

Jean wrote:Living in Canberra I've really got no excuses and should get out to see what everyone is raving about.
You are spoiled for choice for MTB. Great facilities there and my friend can't stop raving about it.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:20 pm

CommuRider wrote:
Jean wrote:Living in Canberra I've really got no excuses and should get out to see what everyone is raving about.
You are spoiled for choice for MTB. Great facilities there and my friend can't stop raving about it.
I'm not one of Canberra's great fans, but if I had to move away again I'd certainly miss the MTB options. Majura is a quick ride from my workplace, and Stromlo is not far by car. That I haven't been to Sparrow Hill, which is probably 20 minutes away by car, is some testimony to how good the options are closer to town I suppose.

aussiefez

Postby aussiefez » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:54 pm

I too live in Canberra (all my life) and I have been to Sparrow Hill only a couple of times. Each time It was an absolute blast. It's bit of a drive from my house so I spend the majority of my time at Stromlo. But it's crowded on weekends so maybe I should go to Sparrow more often or indeed Majura. I have tried Tuggeranong Pines which is near were I live, but found it quite average.....choices

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Another canberran, and I have just hopped on my MTB for the first time in 2 yrs.

Where is Sparrow hill?

And for that matter where is Majura Pines?

Are the trails marked out at both locations?

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:32 pm

thomas_cho wrote:Another canberran, and I have just hopped on my MTB for the first time in 2 yrs.

Where is Sparrow hill?

And for that matter where is Majura Pines?

Are the trails marked out at both locations?
Yes to last question. URL for the first two http://ridecanberra.com.au/

And as a Sydneysider I can't believe I'm pointing this to you! :-P

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:51 pm

thomas_cho wrote:Are the trails marked out at both locations?
Majura's trails aren't marked and it's a bit of a rabbit warren in the pine forest, but you can't really get lost (as long as you don't cross any fences) and there are fire trails to get back to your start point if you've had enough of the single track.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Went to Majura today with a mate. Would take Stromlo or Sparrow anyday!

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:36 pm

HAKS wrote:Went to Majura today with a mate. Would take Stromlo or Sparrow anyday!
In terms of road riding difficulty how would you rate it?

Sorry to repeat, but where is sparrow hill again?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:02 pm

thomas_cho wrote:
HAKS wrote:Went to Majura today with a mate. Would take Stromlo or Sparrow anyday!
In terms of road riding difficulty how would you rate it?

Sorry to repeat, but where is sparrow hill again?
There are technical sections which can be pretty hard. Can't really compare MTB to road riding though. MTB is slower and more technical where road is just pumping out the power! The thing I like about Sparrow & Stromlo is the tracks are well sign-posted & there is plenty to do. We were over Majura after about an hour which included 2 downhills runs down one particular track.

Sparrow Location

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Majura is quite technical in parts, and though there are fire trails if you want to use them it's all single track through the pine trees. I find it a good change from Stromlo and quite demanding in its own way. It's also a much cooler place on a hot summer day.

There's nothing to be anxious about there. Just go there and take your time getting around and you'll enjoy it.

If you are looking for a fairly gentle intro sort of track head to Stromlo. There's certainly plenty of tricky bits if want them, but there are lots of marked easier trails.

Will Levy

Postby Will Levy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 am

The riding at Sparrow is amazing! Even with the loss of lots of track due to new road going through it is still better than anything Syd has. Great to hear that your friend had a good time at the GUG weekend!
Cheers - Will Levy