Which size for Lager SE??

Username

Which size for Lager SE??

Postby Username » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:28 am

Hello people!

I'm new to this forum. I recently decided that my road bike was a bit too flashy to take to work, so i have decided to buy a fixie (my first fixie!). I have managed to locate a brand new SE Lager for $650 which i will be picking up in a few days. My question is about sizing.

I'm about 178 CM tall, what size is generally the correct size for somebody of my height? I know people will tell me to ride the bike and see what I prefer, however, being new to fixies, I probably wouldn't know what the bike should feel like anyway so any general suggestions will help.

I believe the shop has 52, 54, and 56 cm sizes. Im probably leaning towards the 56. What do you people think??

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Which size for Lager SE??

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:31 am

I think you should ride the bikes and see what you prefer.

Cheers,
Graeme

;)

(Actually, there is absolutely no way anybody can answer it. Frame sizes are about more than height alone: reach, flexibility, core strength, personal preferences etc are more important.)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 am

+1 'to all of what Graeme just said. Don't over analyze it or expect a quick and correct answer... you need to feel them for yourself.

But perhaps a suggestion you may want to hear :- see if you can test ride them or the or size you're leaning towards with a freewheel installed. So if you're really worried about the strange new fixie sensation overwhelming the experience, the simple single speed will be more like you're used to on the geared roadie - 'cept you won't be able to change that gear.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Username

Postby Username » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:55 am

Cool thanks for the responses guys. Do you think it's good value to buy an se lager for 650? the only other bike i saw for a similar price was the mongoose maurice but i prefer the look of the SE. Is there a difference in quality between these two bikes?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:08 am

Username wrote:Cool thanks for the responses guys. Do you think it's good value to buy an se lager for 650? the only other bike i saw for a similar price was the mongoose maurice but i prefer the look of the SE. Is there a difference in quality between these two bikes?
groan... you're keeping me up. ;)
I don't really keep up with the specs of the off-the-peg models these days. I have an '07 Surly steamroller which I bought as a complete bike, rode for about a week, stripped it bare and then took about 3 years to fully rebuiuld as a different custom bike altogether, In the interim I have otherwise ridden my own regular roadie conversions.

I think you'll find for the price bracket, what you're looking at are both good starter bikes.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:20 am

Thisi s going to sounds odd, but I have found that the bikes intended use dictates frame size. I prefer larger frames for my single speeds built for cruising and smaller frames for anything racey. This idea is not new, google "The Eddy Fit" and this much will be obvious.

So as a rough guide, what size is your geared road bike? If it is comfortable then it is probablya good starting point. One other thing to take into account is that not all sizes in some frames are simply scaled up or down. While I'm not familiar with the frames you have mentioned, perhaps taking a tape measure and checking the bottom bracket clearance etc of the different sizes would add some information to your decision making process. :mrgreen:

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:03 am

Username wrote:Cool thanks for the responses guys. Do you think it's good value to buy an se lager for 650? the only other bike i saw for a similar price was the mongoose maurice but i prefer the look of the SE. Is there a difference in quality between these two bikes?
I'm riding a 56cm Lager, and I'm somewhere around 185cm tall. It might be slightly too small for me, but the bullhorns add a bit of extra reach, and I like the slightly smaller frame for getting through traffic.

Username

Postby Username » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey guys,

I picked up my bike today, after riding all of them (including the mongoose maurice) i ended up going with the 56 cm lager se. The 52 cm felt quiet a bit small for me but the 56 was about right, and a bit more relaxed than the giant i used to ride. (which is now for sale if anybody is interested)

I took it for a nice ride through the city and around darling harbour, i'm a fan!!

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Username wrote:Hey guys,

I took it for a nice ride through the city and around darling harbour, i'm a fan!!
Fixed or S/S?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Hopefully Fixed.

Username

Postby Username » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:58 pm

lol for now im riding free wheel until i have some time to get used to the fixed! if i try to ride fixed in the traffic, i will probably kill myself!

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:11 am

Username wrote:lol for now im riding free wheel until i have some time to get used to the fixed! if i try to ride fixed in the traffic, i will probably kill myself!
go fixed but leave both your brakes on. it takes a bit to get used to pedaling all the time, but I never had an off while learning. The biggest thing you gotta change is the way you ride - with a freewheel you pedal, pedal pedal then stop and brake when needed - with a fixie you need to regulate your speed all the time through the pedals and try and look a bit further ahead/start braking sooner.

Skidding on the Lagers is awesome too, because of the bullhorns your can get all your weight over the front wheel really easy.

Username

Postby Username » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:21 pm

I was riding fixed today and trying to do a few stunts. Nearly killed myself once or twice while leaning into a corner! Crazy fun these bikes, except i think my front wheel hasn't been properly trued. When i spin it, its not completely straight, but its not damaged or buckled. Still what a pain in the arse!

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Username wrote:I was riding fixed today and trying to do a few stunts. Nearly killed myself once or twice while leaning into a corner! Crazy fun these bikes, except i think my front wheel hasn't been properly trued. When i spin it, its not completely straight, but its not damaged or buckled. Still what a pain in the arse!
hey User... congrats on the new bike (no better feeling). i grabbed a SS about 9mths ago (surly steamroller), and was going to run it freewheel, but as it was set up for fixed, decided to give it a go commuting etc. Havent changed it since, and not likely too. In fact its now my main commute / recreation bike. Only stack, or even close to stack ive had was coming home after a long night at the pub. Never had an issue with either another freewheel SS i use or my other multi geared bikes after ive had a few (++), but riding a fixed gear obviously requires far more concentration than my inebriated brain could give it. It was a massive off as well, hit a gutter that suddenly 'reared up at me' at speed, throwing me a good few metres onto the footpath. Stick with the fixed gear for awhile longer would be my only advice, its very addictive.
chop wood

Username

Postby Username » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks for all the replies people. IM getting used to riding fixed its pretty fun and its easier to do stunts also.

Do you guys find yourselves truing your wheels often? I have heard that the rims my bike comes with are not the greatest (alex r500s). I'm more worried about strength at this stage and the wheels staying true. What do you guys think about these rims? If theyre no good, what would be a cheap step up that would offer me a better wheel (i dont want to spend millions)! thanks guys! :)

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:25 pm

I've always been a 36 spoke 3-cross kind of guy. Me + gear comes in at about 100kg, sometimes more. I got some Alexrims Race28 wheels from a forum member for cheap, front is low spoke count, radial laced. Rear is low spoke count, drive side 2-cross, non-drive radial. Thought what the hell, fun experiment.

I'm running dual chain rings and two cogs on the back with spacers. Single speed chain etc obviously, have to stop the change gears. The point being that I am stomping on the wheels pretty hard and every time I go out I expect them to explode. Two weeks of hard pedaling and they are still true.

Been doing mountains and commuting. Nothing. I'm shocked as hell. I'd say keep yours tight, have them trued/ retensioned after you have done about 150k's on them. Then just ride and don't worry about it. The only thing that may hurt them is tricks, I don't do tricks, ride carefully over gutters etc...maybe your different!

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:17 am

Username wrote:Thanks for all the replies people. IM getting used to riding fixed its pretty fun and its easier to do stunts also.

Do you guys find yourselves truing your wheels often? I have heard that the rims my bike comes with are not the greatest (alex r500s). I'm more worried about strength at this stage and the wheels staying true. What do you guys think about these rims? If theyre no good, what would be a cheap step up that would offer me a better wheel (i dont want to spend millions)! thanks guys! :)
They seem to be doing ok for me, have taken a fair few heavy landings off gutters and various bumps etc. I think the problems with these rims are from the spokes/build as I haven't had any problems yet - though I have tightened a few spokes on the front.

I'm thinking about getting some velocity rims though - seem pretty decent and made in australia.

Username

Postby Username » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 am

Yeah ive trued them up and hopefully now they'll be ok. If i upgrade i'll keep these wheels as a spare set to thrash around.. is everybody riding fixed? its harder to skid than i thought it would be.. i remember the good old days of having a coaster brake on the pedal... ahhhh! lol

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:42 pm

+1 for the velocity rims.

I've got a set of 36h Dyads lasced to the Velocity sealed bearing track hubs. Firking nice wheels, solid, roll so smooth, better handling than I'll ever need. With all my other wheels I seem to hit 'terminal velocity' and then just stay there. With the Dyads I just seem to keep going faster.