quick rundown of the product - eg specs, upgrades etc

Positives
+ Well made
+ Cheap pricing

Negatives
- Not authentic
- Made in Italy Label

Review
Up until now I had resisted the garish team cycling kit, preferring to use plain mountain bike jerseys and baggy shorts. I had left the advertising billboard lycra to the sad cycling fashion victims who obscenely show their tightly covered bulgy bits along the highways and bike paths of the nation.

When I saw an offer for some free team kit in this forum I thought it was time to try life in the pretend world of the wannabe, coodabeen weekend warriors. And horror of horrors it is strangely satisfying. This morning’s 40K loop saw me slash 5 minutes off my best time. Now the improvement cannot have anything to do with the wind cheating design of the clothing, it is purely psychological. The Team Sky kit transformed me into a pro rider. The transformation was evident on a number of levels. When the steep sections came up and things began to hurt, I was Simon Gerrans gapping the main group in a Grand Tour; in the long flat section I became Bradley Wiggins in a time trial; and during the fast descents I was Geraint Thomas at the lead of the peleton chasing down a breakaway.

While it was a bit confusing who I was, I noticed that the traffic seemed to give me a little more respect than usual. I felt more comfortable claiming my space on the road. The new Team Sky jersey did aid the road presence, I felt more noticeable and more confident. I am sure that this worked on two levels in the psyche of the vehicle drivers: firstly I was more visible to them, and secondly and more significantly my apparent competence as a pro rider meant that I was not going to hold them up like a “normal” rider so they were happy to sit in behind me and wait for a safe place to pass.

For the record I received a free 2010 Team Sky kit consisting of a Jersey and shorts (US$44.99) and purchased a 2010 Team Sky Turbo’s White Jersey and Bib Shorts (US$49.99) from mupicycling.com, I payed freight of US$12.99 through Paypal. All up cost for me was AU$63.80.

The gear is good quality, well made with no defects. The jerseys have some pretty cool features, a full length zip, three pockets and mesh side panels to keep cool. The fit is good with no bunching up evident. The shorts have a good coolmax synthetic chamois that makes them as good as any of the other padded shorts that I have, and even a little better than some. I will have to test them out over a longer distance to be really sure but first impressions are that they are comfortable and well made. All four bits of gear have survived their first ride and wash with no loose threads or issues with colour fastness.

The purchasing experience was good. The communication from Mupi Cycling was excellent although there was a minor issue with them supplying an incorrect tracking number for the EMS shipping. I was a little concerned when my package was delivered and signed for in a regional Chinese city. I emailed Mupi and their customer service replied quickly and resolved the issue with friendly, courteous and understandable communication. Thanks again Dart.

While I am happy to unreservedly recommend the gear from Mupi Cycling the feedback from the family was less than perfect. My 9YO daughter said that I looked “crazy”, and my wife refused to let me out of the house without wearing some baggy shorts over the knicks.

Recommendation
Highly recommended, (not just because I got a freebie). This is good quality stuff at an excellent price.

OVERALL SCORES

Quality Image

Performance Image

Value for money Image