Overweight Beginner - What do i do?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Mir

Re: Overweight Beginner - What do i do?

Postby Mir » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 am

Great work mate, Its great seeing people change their lives.

Especially when you're a student in the health system and notice the insane hypocrisy amongst many of the staff.

I'll be following your story with great interest. Good luck!

Quinns Rocks Roadie

175kg - Seriously ????

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:11 am

Hmmmm.
175kg x 2.2 = 385 lbs = 27.5 stones :shock:
You sure about 175 kg ????.

Eric.
Newer does not automatically mean betterer.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 am

Comedian wrote:Congrats on the new bike. :)

My advice would be to see a dietician as they can help you with what to eat and when.
+1. At your weight, you may qualify for 5 free visits to a dietitian - your GP has to do a health assessment and refer you for this.

Losing 5.8 kg in two weeks is huge - don't be dissappointed if you can't sustain it. You put the weight on slowly, if you can get it off at even 1 kg per week, you'll be doing well. Slow and steady wins the race.

Jogging might not be a great idea until you've lost a lot more weight - stick to low-impact stuff like cycling, swimming and power walks.

Well done on your great start.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:48 am

wombatK wrote: +1. At your weight, you may qualify for 5 free visits to a dietitian - your GP has to do a health assessment and refer you for this.
5 free visits? Really? I know some people who might benefit from that. Is this a program all GPs can send their patients too? It's a brilliant idea.

David

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:47 am

Deanoz - just read your posts.....
Congrats on the decisions made so far.
I started at 170 kgs June 2 years ago......rode under 1 km to pump up tyres on a loaner Mountain bike - nearly fell over from exhaustion and out of breath

Told my work colleagues I was gonna start riding and aimed to ride to work (25kms) - the look on their faces is forever burned in my memory !!! :?
After 2 weeks I began to ride to work .....and now for almost 2 1/2 years I still ride to work and home each day. (50 kms)
Sold my car 6 months ago (My wife still has hers)
60 kgs are gone !
I have tried every diet program under the sun for years....lost some gained some....
But this is the first time I've been consistently losing - maintaining - losing
Biggest issue for me was CONSISTENT EXCERCISE...CONSISTENT LIFESTYLE CHANGE....NO DIET - Just proper healthy eating
Still getting there....another 10 kgs will be good !
BUT - It had to be my choice - my decision - my taking responsibility for my choices- no excuses for not excercising come rain hail or HEAT (Sunshine Coast)
Keep at it - no matter what
I think you've made a great choice with the bike you have chosen
I blew so many spokes on my 700 rims when I started......(28-32 spoke 700c - Bad wheel choice for our weight)
But the 26" wheels should help - plus comfortable and FUN !
Keep enjoying it and get out there often - you'll need to get over the butt pain - only more riding will do that (and maybe a big butt seat for a while - makes a massive difference)
Get on Calorie King and LOG EVERYTHING
In 6 months you will look back and amaze yourself !!! and others
Good luck and PLEASE keep us updated
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:16 pm

wombatK wrote:
Comedian wrote:Congrats on the new bike. :)

My advice would be to see a dietitian as they can help you with what to eat and when.
+1. At your weight, you may qualify for 5 free visits to a dietitian - your GP has to do a health assessment and refer you for this.

Losing 5.8 kg in two weeks is huge - don't be disappointed if you can't sustain it. You put the weight on slowly, if you can get it off at even 1 kg per week, you'll be doing well. Slow and steady wins the race.

Jogging might not be a great idea until you've lost a lot more weight - stick to low-impact stuff like cycling, swimming and power walks.

Well done on your great start.
+1 to all of this:
- a dietitian can be really helpful
- 1 kg per week is a sensible goal
- Slow and steady isn't the fastest way to lose weight but it's more effective in the long term
- power walks are great when you are starting out
- Well done on your great start and keep it up!
<removed by request>

james99

Postby james99 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:05 pm

http://www.europacycles.com.au

In regards to a wheel builder, maybe see the guys at europa cycles on anzac parade near kenso.

Good luck with every thing.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:34 pm

ajh003 wrote:Deanoz - just read your posts.....
Congrats on the decisions made so far.
I started at 170 kgs June 2 years ago......rode under 1 km to pump up tyres on a loaner Mountain bike - nearly fell over from exhaustion and out of breath

Told my work colleagues I was gonna start riding and aimed to ride to work (25kms) - the look on their faces is forever burned in my memory !!! :?
After 2 weeks I began to ride to work .....and now for almost 2 1/2 years I still ride to work and home each day. (50 kms)
Sold my car 6 months ago (My wife still has hers)
60 kgs are gone !
I have tried every diet program under the sun for years....lost some gained some....
But this is the first time I've been consistently losing - maintaining - losing
Biggest issue for me was CONSISTENT EXCERCISE...CONSISTENT LIFESTYLE CHANGE....NO DIET - Just proper healthy eating
Still getting there....another 10 kgs will be good !
BUT - It had to be my choice - my decision - my taking responsibility for my choices- no excuses for not excercising come rain hail or HEAT (Sunshine Coast)
Keep at it - no matter what
I think you've made a great choice with the bike you have chosen
I blew so many spokes on my 700 rims when I started......(28-32 spoke 700c - Bad wheel choice for our weight)
But the 26" wheels should help - plus comfortable and FUN !
Keep enjoying it and get out there often - you'll need to get over the butt pain - only more riding will do that (and maybe a big butt seat for a while - makes a massive difference)
Get on Calorie King and LOG EVERYTHING
In 6 months you will look back and amaze yourself !!! and others
Good luck and PLEASE keep us updated
That is a Herculian effort! Your one tough cookie. The biggest weight loss on the forum thus far? :P

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:20 pm

ajh003 wrote:CONSISTENT EXCERCISE...CONSISTENT LIFESTYLE CHANGE....NO DIET - Just proper healthy eating
+1

So many people try to do too much and they just burn out, you just gotta take it easy slow and steady.

It's all about changing your lifestyle, not just going on a diet for a few weeks.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 am

Thanks guys for all your input...

I got the bike on Friday. Had planned on doing alot of riding Sunday with some mates... I finished putting it all together only to realize that everything and I mean everything needs to be torque'd tight..

AND I DONT HAVE A TORQUE WRENCH! :( :roll:

Anyways, Sunday didnt happen so instead with the heat, went for a swim! :) Couple of laps in the local pool was good :)

Yeah i am serious about the weight. I actually had to purchase a specific type of weight scale as normal ones only go up to 150! WHICH SUCKS!:(

So im 100% that weight...

Its now been 3 weeks... 8.1kgs less! :D and im F***NG LOVING IT!!!
Heres the bike.. ready to roll! ( I have fixed the front forks since that photo)

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 am

Looks good, except for one thing. Its a MTB so its too clean 8)

Keep up the effort :!:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:19 pm

If you want somewhere beginner-friendly and wet-weather tolerant to ride off road, try Terrey Hills.

Join up here: http://nobmob.com, and organise a ride via the ride meeting organiser. You will get folks who know the trails who will come along and show you where to ride. Just post in the ride meeting what your goals are and that you're looking for a guide, and people will be very supportive. We have a policy of "no rider left behind"

The views are awesome, and it's very beginner-friendly. Duck Holes + Centre Track loop has a few climbs if you feel game. Allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Perimeter + Long is a longer out-and-back with a few rolling elevation changes. Allow 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Here's shot from P+L from a recent training ride:

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:43 am

Looks great mate! Thanks for that..

So last night was my first ride on a mountain bike in I dunno how long.

The bike is pretty much set up, torqued but the front shocks need some more air..

I basically did about 4 kms last night..and my butt has never felt so sore!

The GIANT XTC seat is like sittin on a fence post... (not that i have tried it)

Anyways, i was soooooo happy with my workout. I know ill be going again 2nite!! I cant wait..!

The misses made me take a photo - the before me! haha (sorry about the quality)

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm

I expect the seat will get less torturous as your butt gets used to it, and as you lose more kgs. The bike suits you.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Good onya mate. :)

The good thing about your bike is if you loose weight and want a roadbike you go buy one - and you'll still have a cool MTB for hitting the trails :)

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:17 pm

jet-ski wrote:I expect the seat will get less torturous as your butt gets used to it, and as you lose more kgs. The bike suits you.
Agreed. It is usual for the seat to be a little uncomfortable for the first couple weeks, even more so if you're a big bloke. Just stick it out it will get better with time and weight loss.

The bike looks good!

And as Comedian said, if you go well and decide you want a roadie down the track to do more on-road riding go for it, nothing wrong with having a couple of different bikes for different uses.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Great stuff Dean.Tim

vince

Postby vince » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Anyways, Sunday didnt happen so instead with the heat, went for a swim! :) Couple of laps in the local pool was good :)

someone once said " it doesnt matter how you exercise, it just matters you DO exercise"
keep up the good work, and no matter what, try to stay positive!
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

slammed

Postby slammed » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Awesome stuff Dean,
I also was a bit over weight but only 110 kilo mark, i have always loved bikes but restoring and really just looking at them,
my neighbor who is now my best mate got me in to MTB'ing and i am happy to say i am now at about 80ish kilo's, (fluctuates)
off road is the best, you will find it works your entire body, the more ride and sweat the weight will just fall of,
I also have a couple of mates who are also in a similar position as your self and you will be a great motivator for them also,
all the best and you have heaps of support and knowledge on these forums and there are some tops guy's and gals here.
BTW, nice bike!
2009 Scott Aspect 10
Malvern Star Skidstar GT

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Enjoy the ride mate, I've got a workmate whose dropped from 165 to about 135 so far, he's just bought a new mtb too. He's loving his new found freedom, you will too. Excellent work. FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Good on ya Deano. Only more words of encouragement here.

A change of eating habits & taking up a varied exercise routine equates to a lifestyle change. Keep it fun. (I avoid the use of diet).
I really should take up cycling!

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Enjoy the ride mate, I've got a workmate whose dropped from 165 to about 135 so far, he's just bought a new mtb too. He's loving his new found freedom, you will too. Excellent work. FoM

EDIT - He's down to 115 now, and I didn't recognise him cycling past me as I walked in to work this morning. Keep it up and people wont recognise you either.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
wombatK wrote: +1. At your weight, you may qualify for 5 free visits to a dietitian - your GP has to do a health assessment and refer you for this.
5 free visits? Really? I know some people who might benefit from that. Is this a program all GPs can send their patients too? It's a brilliant idea.

David
ask your gp. its run by medicare, basically 5 visits per calender year to allied health practitioners for management of chronic problems
click here for more info

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:21 am

Deanoz wrote:Looks great mate! Thanks for that..

So last night was my first ride on a mountain bike in I dunno how long.

The bike is pretty much set up, torqued but the front shocks need some more air..

I basically did about 4 kms last night..and my butt has never felt so sore!

The GIANT XTC seat is like sittin on a fence post... (not that i have tried it)

Anyways, i was soooooo happy with my workout. I know ill be going again 2nite!! I cant wait..!

The misses made me take a photo - the before me! haha (sorry about the quality)

Dude keep that !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! up. seriously. at the start of the year i was 118kgs. from jan the 11th to june the 12th i lost a total of 22.7 kgs and havent looked back. im sitting on around 99-100 atm but it always goes up and down but im still way lighter
its definitely changed my life and i am so much fitter and healthier for it. was tough, but oh so worth it. Im working up to my first adventure race soon. YIPPEEEEE.

keep it up man you can do this, focused and determination man :D smash it out ::D:DD:D::DD: