Introducing the Women

lovemybike

Re: Introducing the Women

Postby lovemybike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Hello everyone :)

Location?
Mt Annan, NSW

Road, Mountain, Track... what's your style?
Mostly the road, sometimes a cycleway

Current bike/s?
Europa hybrid

Riding since?
Always as a kid...since January 2010 as a grownup :shock:

Riding because?
Began using the bike as a weight loss tool and realised (remembered!) how much I just loved riding.

Favorite ride?
From Mt Annan through Camden and up Old Razorback Road. From Austinmer to Port Kembla along the cycleway and road. The M7 cycleway. Just going around the block is the best sometimes :)

Occupation?
I work in a library and have 3 kids

Goals?
I've been training for the 2010 Gongride. Another goal is to find some other people to ride with in my area. My main goal is to keep on riding and enjoying it.

Most embarrassing moment on the bike?
Like so many others :oops: both feet still clipped in and clipstacked at the top of my (steep) driveway, slid down the driveway with the bike watched by an entire family of magpies (who are responsible for a number of other embarrassing bike moments).

Best moment on the bike?
My first 100 kms was great. Getting to the top of Razorback Mountain was amazing! Also little things like crossing at a big intersection with the cars. Just being out there riding at dawn is amazing. Still can't believe I'm doing this sometimes :) Others cyclists waving and nodding is also great.

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
General discussion...but I have a look everywhere for advice :) I've ditched Facebook for BNA Forum :shock:

Lovemybike :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Hiya Julie

Nice to read your introduction....I can relate to this..

Riding since?
Always as a kid...since January 2010 as a grownup

Me too, but I've only recommenced in April this year...apart from a brief dabble with an old school drop bar in the later 80's not long after I was married...we bought bikes together and I probably rode mine once or twice...it was my first ever geared bike! I checked out on google maps recently all the distances that I used cover as a kid...I'd ride k's on a fixie around hilly areas in country NZ... :shock:
Welcome!
Lisa

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Hiya! :D

Location?
Kilmore, VIC

Road

Current bike/s?
Giant Cypress 3

Riding since?
Today!
I had a cheap MTB about 10 years ago which I only rode a few times as it was too difficult and I lost interest, so I don't think that really counts!

Riding because?
Would like to get fit and think cycling would be a great way to see the sights whilst travelling..

Favorite ride?
Don't know yet

Occupation?
Airline Customer Service

Goals?
At this stage, I'd be happy just to learn how to use my gears properly!

None yet

Best moment on the bike?
Taking it out for it's first spin today and making it up the hill without having to stop and push it up

Which section have you spent most of your time in on the forums? Or where do you suspect you'll spend most your time?
Just been lurking for a day or so, but think I'll be spending a bit of time in the women's :)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Welcome Kerry!
Kerry wrote:Goals?
At this stage, I'd be happy just to learn how to use my gears properly!

Best moment on the bike?
Taking it out for it's first spin today and making it up the hill without having to stop and push it up

Just been lurking for a day or so, but think I'll be spending a bit of time in the women's :)
Hope you get to ride more. The women's section is a bit quiet but the forums are a wealth of info. Just do a simple search on ANYTHING and you'll get heaps of info.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Welcome Kerry :) The forum is a great place for advice. Each time you ride you'll notice a difference, the best day is when you don't really notice the hill that always gave you a hard time before :)

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the welcome!
What a great forum - so much info...so much great advice...really glad I found this place! :)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Kerry wrote:Thanks for the welcome!
What a great forum - so much info...so much great advice...really glad I found this place! :)
So many bad jokes too Kerry :wink:

Welcome aboard!!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Road, Mountain, Track...what's your style?
Road - ride with Dulwich Hill BC and very occasionally race. Or sometimes just ride my bike around.

Current bike/s?
A 2010 bobo handcrafted frame, built for me with 650c wheels
An early 90s Kotzur built frame, build for me with 700c back and 24" front wheel
A single speed Townie of indeterminate age.

Riding since?
Since I got a bike when I was about 8.

Riding because?
I like being fit, I like bikes as transport, I like competitive sport. I once did a thesis at uni about motivations for cycling and how best to support those motivations through infrastructure.

Favourite ride?
Anything with a challenge in it, especially if there are good people to ride with.

Occupation?
Community services (but frustrated bicycle sociologist)

Goals?
A really long ride - 200K Alpine Classic coming up soon. Hopefully that goal will make room for another big challenge.

Fell off on the way home from the cafe, overbalanced at an intersection when I was completely stopped.

Best moment on the bike?
Doing my first triathlon, but on my old single speed girl's bike. The wheels were too big to partk in the proper bike parking so I had to prop it up against a fence. And I still beat lots of people.!

Anywhere interesting!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Eleri wrote: Riding because?
I like being fit, I like bikes as transport, I like competitive sport. I once did a thesis at uni about motivations for cycling and how best to support those motivations through infrastructure.
Welcome! That's some pretty serious cycling stuff up there. If you check out the helmet threads, you could probably do a thesis based on the posts.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:29 am

Eleri wrote: Best moment on the bike?
Doing my first triathlon, but on my old single speed girl's bike. The wheels were too big to partk in the proper bike parking so I had to prop it up against a fence. And I still beat lots of people.
:shock: How big were the wheels???

Welcome to the forums :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Eleri wrote:A single speed Townie of indeterminate age
Don't think I've seen this bike
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Max wrote:
Eleri wrote: Best moment on the bike?
Doing my first triathlon, but on my old single speed girl's bike. The wheels were too big to partk in the proper bike parking so I had to prop it up against a fence. And I still beat lots of people.
:shock: How big were the wheels???

Welcome to the forums :)

Max
lol - they were just fat tyres, not skinny racing ones like everyone else.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:01 am

Eleri wrote:lol - they were just fat tyres, not skinny racing ones like everyone else.
LOL! :oops: <--- Dummy

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:29 am

Hey Eleri, you could post that penny farthing photo

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:45 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Hey Eleri, you could post that penny farthing photo
Seeing as you asked Mike and thank you for doing my PR :). This is of me dismounting, inelegantly :oops: , from a penny farthing in Evandale Tassie just before the national penny farthing champtionships. The more I laughed, the further I fell into the hedge. Notice how nicely I parked the bike though :)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:49 pm

CommuRider wrote:
If you check out the helmet threads, you could probably do a thesis based on the posts.

lol - I think I'll give the helmet threads a miss really! Someone else can tackle that.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Eleri wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Hey Eleri, you could post that penny farthing photo
Seeing as you asked Mike and thank you for doing my PR :). This is of me dismounting, inelegantly :oops: , from a penny farthing in Evandale Tassie just before the national penny farthing champtionships. The more I laughed, the further I fell into the hedge. Notice how nicely I parked the bike though :)

Ah, so that's how you get on and get off a penny-farthing. I've always wondered. I thought it could be a horsey thing when you need somebody else to lift you up but you just need a hedge. :-)

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Location?
Perth

Road

Current bike/s?
See my sig!

Riding since?
10, I think. I was a slow starter.

Riding because?
Commuting, health/fitness, general greenie smugness

Favorite ride?
Too hard! The freeway bike hike is pretty awesome, if I was allowed I'd be on the freeway all the time heheh

Occupation?
Public servant

Goals?
At the moment to survive the nxt long ride!

Probably overshooting the intersection at the end of Milligan street one day cos my canti's don't stop as well as the v's on my other bike....

Best moment on the bike?
Riding my xtracycle with my first passenger on the back... awesome ;)

WA section, or the shed
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:01 pm

[/quote][quote="Missy24"]
I'm another lurker, been lurking even since before the women's cycling section was started! So about time I outed myself, here goes!

Location?
Katoomba NSW

Started with a MTB, then got seduced by the road, do both now, the emphasis depends on what tour or event is next up!

Current bike/s?
Specialized New Era Comp MTB
Baum Cappuccino with 650c wheels and 155mm cranks (steel roadie/tourer)
And I just succumbed to a carbon fibre bit of fluff, a Specialized Amira Expert, (ripped off the Ultegra group set, got Specialites TA compact chainrings and those 155mm cranks again and put on SRAM Red, also upgraded the wheels to Dura-Ace)

So u can see, I'm a total tragic!

Riding since?

December 2007

Riding because?
Someone put a bike up for sale on the intranet at work, didn't think just pressed 'I'll have it' in about 20 seconds

Favorite ride?
The one I've just done! This week I'm in the Alps so it's Mt Buller and Tawonga Gap (and hopefully tomorrow, Falls Creek)

Occupation?
Local Government

Goals?
2011- AAC 130, 2012 - Scody High Country Challenge, sometime an Audax 200

Yes, clipstacks of course, who hasn't and too many MTB falls to count (but I reckon if you're not falling, you're not trying!)

Best moment on the bike?

Riding the Mawson Trail (Adelaide to Blinman), Donna Buang (first big climb), Mt Buller, 1st Audax 150 (well 156, I got lost, LOL!)

Which section of the forum??

Anywhere and everywhere, random browsing, whatever catches my eye or interest, this forum is the BEST source of advice and info! Thanks all!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Feral Grasshopper - those are tiny cranks! good to see someone else riding on 650s (but 165 cranks in my case)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm

feral grasshopper wrote: Baum Cappuccino with 650c wheels and 155mm cranks (steel roadie/tourer)
How rides the Baum?

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Eleri wrote:Feral Grasshopper - those are tiny cranks! good to see someone else riding on 650s (but 165 cranks in my case)
Steve Hogg said not negotiable on the 155mm cranks and I'm pretty sure he was right as I've no particular issues now I've been fitted by him so I put them on the Amira as well, I will probably pay him another visit and get him to check the amir fit as well, it's expensive but worth it. I've got 165 mm on the MTB though he said I should consider changing those also.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:52 pm

CommuRider wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote: Baum Cappuccino with 650c wheels and 155mm cranks (steel roadie/tourer)
How rides the Baum?
Very solid, beautifully balanced, I retrofitted the new SRAM Apex 11/32 cassette and mid cage derailleur so it goes up anything, did Falls Creek today for instance. It's great for touring, only got 23mm tyres on Mavic open pro wheels, nothing special, but it hits the gravel and doesn't even notice!

Now I've got the CF Amira to contrast with, it's slower to accelerate, that'd be the wheels size I expect and the weight differential but feels safer descending, especially in the wet. The Amira is very twitchy feeling, exciting but dangerous.

Overall I'd say a very forgiving, comfortable bike but no racer, probably be better in Ti!!!

Are u thinking of getting one? It's great to have something that really properly fits.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 am

Eleri wrote:Feral Grasshopper - those are tiny cranks! good to see someone else riding on 650s (but 165 cranks in my case)
Did Steve Hog recommend 165's to you? They do look right on you, but out of curiosity, you should take one of Jo's bikes for a spin sometime

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 am

feral grasshopper wrote:
Are u thinking of getting one? It's great to have something that really properly fits.
Yes as a long-term goal so am interested in the Baum-riders :-)