Superdrome

Thomas

Superdrome

Postby Thomas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 am

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted, good to see the Adelaide forum is getting a lot more attention than it used to a couple of years ago.

I am interested to have a spin at the superdrome. On their website it says Friday nights at 6pm are the go for newbies - is this still the case over summer?

Do many new guys get out there on Fridays? Is there coaching/guidance on how not to crash/die?

(I would just call them up to ask but I am at work and bored etc etc)

If there is a concise, older post on this, please direct me to it...

Thanks,

Tom.

tripstobaltimore

Re: Superdrome

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 pm

I know south coast cycling club do a 'come and try' day every friday at the edwardstown velodrome (haven't been though). They have hire bikes you can use. Don't know about the superdrome though. Give SCCC an email to find out more about that.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 pm

I have been to the Superdome a couple of time are there is usually 5 experienced guys there along with a coach and alot of young kids
The coach does tell you how to ride the the banking but not how to crash

SCCC's event is only for holders of a Cycling Australia licesce only i think

alex

Postby alex » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:40 pm

there is not too much to say really, the friday night sessions are run all year except when something else is on, eg there will be no beginner session this friday because there is racing (come and watch).

its a very low pressure non intimidating environment on a friday, everyone is new. you can borrow a bike, bring your own pedals.

i know you dont want to call but it really is the only way to confirm 100% that the session is on and so you can let them know you want to borrow a bike.

if you can ride a bike on a road then you can ride on the superdrome, it is very unlikely that you will crash, if you do crash at least it is not on bitumen or under a truck! there is no real science to it, it is as steep at the bottom as it is at the top. nothing to worry about, get out there and have a go.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

traps

Postby traps » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Friday night is definitely the best place to start.
There is a cycling SA person always there to help you out. I believe it is $10.

They generally run a few low pressure scratch race type things to get people used to riding close together. They also give people the option to do a flying 200m.

Once you are comfortable with riding the track on fridays, you can go to wednesday night training. This is run consistently in winter, but only intermittently at the moment due to track availability. You need at least a sport cycling SA membership to attend wednesdays.

Nathan

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 am

All spot on. Eddy I think is the coach.

$10 to use the track and $5 for bike hire. Hillbrick bike and they are excellent for $5!!!

A good cross section of people, plenty of opportunity to do lots of laps and participate in a scratch race or flying 200m towards the end if you like.

One thing I can gaurentee is that the first few times out you will gas your legs so easily. You get to the banking and your mind just says, GO FAST/I dont want to crash!! WIth a bit more experiance you start to realise you can actually go pretty slow on the banking. BUt yeah its safer to gun it to start with and go from there.

Your first flying 200 is a great feeling, swinging down into the 200m apex and then the last turn gets the G force going. Im pretty slow, only done it twice but 13.9 is my best.

Get out there.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Solirossi wrote:All spot on. Eddy I think is the coach.

$10 to use the track and $5 for bike hire. Hillbrick bike and they are excellent for $5!!!

A good cross section of people, plenty of opportunity to do lots of laps and participate in a scratch race or flying 200m towards the end if you like.

One thing I can gaurentee is that the first few times out you will gas your legs so easily. You get to the banking and your mind just says, GO FAST/I dont want to crash!! WIth a bit more experiance you start to realise you can actually go pretty slow on the banking. BUt yeah its safer to gun it to start with and go from there.

Your first flying 200 is a great feeling, swinging down into the 200m apex and then the last turn gets the G force going. Im pretty slow, only done it twice but 13.9 is my best.

Get out there.
PFT 13.9 "slow" :shock: i did like 14.59
13 is quite quick

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Richard.L wrote:
PFT 13.9 "slow" :shock: i did like 14.59
13 is quite quick
Hell yeah..., makes my 15.3 look ordinary.

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:56 am

Ha cheers, I didnt have much idea of a benchmark time but am happy with that.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Solirossi wrote:Ha cheers, I didnt have much idea of a benchmark time but am happy with that.
I think that is a very competitive race time for maybe B/C and maybe D grade

mtb159

Postby mtb159 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:51 pm

The Friday night sessions aren't back on until Friday January 14th. 6pm start tiill around 8pm/8:30pm ish