Pump placement on a MTB

Sepoy

Pump placement on a MTB

Postby Sepoy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:58 pm

I just got a mini pump for my mountain bike, but I'm at a loss on where to mount it. I have two water bottle holders which rule out the seat tube or upper side of the down tube,
and the cable routing on the MTB rules out under the top tube (where I have mounted my pump on my roadie). Where do you all mount your pumps? Would underneath the downtube be a terrible idea?
Eastway Emitter R3

herzog

Pump placement on a MTB

Postby herzog » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Since it's a compact one, put it in your Camelback.

Sepoy

Re: Pump placement on a MTB

Postby Sepoy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Don't have one, ought I?
Eastway Emitter R3

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:45 pm

G'day

Your mounting bolts should be long enough to mount the pump holder under the cage. If not they can be bought. You could buy some continous, double sided velcro and attach it to the rear of the seat post if there is room between the saddle bag and the post clamp. I put mine in the Camelbak, but I am becoming concerned over the elasticity of the outer mesh basket / holder and wonder if it going to fall out soon when the bladder is not so full, so I have made a lanyard so it can't be lost.

Cheers.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:32 pm

My Camelbak has a couple of extra pockets, so it goes in there... unfortunately due to the way the frame is shaped to accomodate the rear shock on my bike, there is no place to fit one on the dually, regardless of how small the pump is.

On the hardtail that doubles as my commuter, the pump bracket is held in place under the downtube bidon cage just like Mount Gower suggests. The water bottle actually helps keep the pump's velcro retaining strap in place.

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks for the advice all... my impulsive side kicked in and I bought myself a Camelbak Lobo :lol:
Eastway Emitter R3

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:18 am

I keep mine in my Camelback and use a velcro strap wrapped around "the thing that you undo to get into the Camelback" and the pump. My pump isn't so mini and could fall out if I didn't do this.
No signature

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Electrical tape it around the Seatpost. Ghetto but does the job.

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 pm

After a particularly muddy MTB session in Darwin one year, one of the regulars advised me not to mount the pump on the side of the downtube (mine came with a mount that goes under a water bottle bracket), rather to stick it in my backpack.

Considering his advice, I went home and checked the pump before I put it in my Camelbak. There was a nice amount of mud under the piston scratching away at the seal. Mine goes in my Camelbak no matter what now. Also makes it easier if you have one Camelbak and multiple bikes, stops you from leaving the pump on the (other) bike.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 pm

The pump on the hardtail has a nice little rubber cap that stops crud getting in there... but you make a good point.

I don't run a camlebak when on the commuter riding to work.