Melbourne - Thredbo, 9 days

goinggonecountry

Melbourne - Thredbo, 9 days

Postby goinggonecountry » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi all,

I just joined this forum after seeking some information regarding the route between Melbourne and Thredbo. I am heading to Melbourne for a concert in March (I live in WA) and I am due to be in Thredbo about 8-9 days later for another music festival. I would very much like to cycle to Thredbo from Melbourne, having never taken in the country side in the Eastern states other than Tasmania.

I have done quite extensive touring in the past, including a 7 week stint around Tasmania and I am going to New Zealand for the same amount of time in three weeks, so the issue for me is the specifics of the route that I would be taking.

I have virtually no knowledge of the area so I was hoping somebody on here could give me a bit of info regarding this ride I propose to do. Perhaps a rough outline as to how to get there, gradients, surfaces, heat at the time (which would be in March) etc etc.

If somebody could furnish me with this information, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
goinggonecountry

littleadukibeanweevil

Postby littleadukibeanweevil » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:44 pm

I may well be cycling that route in the other direction in a week or two....unless I decide to go along the coast.
I will let you know if I do.

Have fun in NZ...I have also cycled round Tassie and all of NZ...don't suppose you want to ride to Adelaide from Melbourne?

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:59 pm

I guess you need to choose which way to go - one option is to head up inland of the ranges and then cut through from Albury way to the snowies .

The other one (and probably the one I'd suggest) would be to head east(ish) from Melbourne into Gippsland and then north into the Snowy Mountains area from there - eg Melbourne -> Bairnsdale -> Omeo -> Corryong -> Khancoban -> Thredbo. You can cut through southern Gippsland south of the Princes Hwy to get off the main road and there are some rail trails along there too? Between Omeo and Corryong you can either follow a mostly sealed route via Mitta Mitta and then up the Murray River or there is a more direct route on dirt east of Dartmouth Reservoir.

I have toured the area between just north of Omeo and Thredbo but on mountain bikes.

Steph