Road Bike Lubricant ? ?

Solirossi

Re: Road Bike Lubricant ? ?

Postby Solirossi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:22 pm

Ok, so I need some advice with cleaning my chain.

WHen I clean it I spray it with a foaming degreaser and get a tooth brush onto it to scrub away at the links, then rinse.

I can get the chain looking nice and clean but then when i ride a bit the chain dirtys up really quick. Im assuming my cleaning method is not removing the stuff from inside the rollers. Can anyone suggest an improved technique for cleaning my chain, ideally without having to remove the chain as I have no tool for doing so.

The bike is only about 500km's old and Iv only re lubed it once using White Lightning. I just want it to run cleaner and yeah any help would be great.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:02 pm

I don't know why so many people think their chain should look sparkly clean all the time. I very rarely degrease my chain, I just go over it with an old rag and use prolink on it every couple of weeks. It doesn't get shiny clean but it's pretty good, runs very smoothly and one chain lasts me over 8000km.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 pm

philip wrote:It doesn't get shiny clean but it's pretty good, runs very smoothly and one chain lasts me over 8000km.
What brand of chain do you use?

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:17 pm

I just like the look of it when its nice and clean. ALso gets my white frame less dirty as well.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:10 pm

rkelsen wrote:
philip wrote:It doesn't get shiny clean but it's pretty good, runs very smoothly and one chain lasts me over 8000km.
What brand of chain do you use?
shimano 10sp, first couple of chains were 105, using ultegra now, seems like it'll last just as long I think

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Solirossi wrote:Ok, so I need some advice with cleaning my chain.

WHen I clean it I spray it with a foaming degreaser and get a tooth brush onto it to scrub away at the links, then rinse.

I can get the chain looking nice and clean but then when i ride a bit the chain dirtys up really quick. Im assuming my cleaning method is not removing the stuff from inside the rollers. Can anyone suggest an improved technique for cleaning my chain, ideally without having to remove the chain as I have no tool for doing so.

The bike is only about 500km's old and Iv only re lubed it once using White Lightning. I just want it to run cleaner and yeah any help would be great.
I am fairly sure white lightning was one of those wax lubes which do the cleaning when you apply it ... i.e. you dont need to degrease, just keep applying it on top and then I think the wax is supposed to build up and flake off with all the gunk. I am not sure you can ever keep your chain sparkling clean .... unless you don't ride it. I don't know, maybe its like engine oil, its there to carry the gunk away.
philip wrote:I don't know why so many people think their chain should look sparkly clean all the time. I very rarely degrease my chain, I just go over it with an old rag and use prolink on it every couple of weeks. It doesn't get shiny clean but it's pretty good, runs very smoothly and one chain lasts me over 8000km.
for me its more not getting black grease all over myself if i have to touch the chain whether it be accidently on the leg or if the chain falls off. Rock'n'roll gold keeps it this clean for me. However, if a wet greasy lube is proven to give the chain a much longer life or I have to apply it considerably less often, then I'd have to re-consider my options. I have only just switched to prolink and been using RnR gold since new and my chain is not far off going to the 1.00% stretch measurement, approx 3000 km.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:27 pm

I clean between uses. Always.
The gunk on the plates looks yuck and splatters yer frame but it's the crap you can't see that wears the chain. Some lubes will do a good job of removing it for you, mainly the wax types but others will just wash the gunk deeper into the rollers where it turns into a nice grinding paste.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 pm

I use ProLink "PRO GOLD" which appears (smells) like a paraffin based mineral lubricant. Given my roadie chain is lubed every 300km (approx) the Pro Gold lube combined with plenty of fluffy old toweling material does a suberb job of both lubricating to near silence and cleaning to a shine my chain.

The MTB chain is another matter and needs more attention / more lube to maintain at the same level as the road bike chain.

I simply do what the bottle says which is essentially to clean the chain off after every ride, re-apply lube and wipe away excessive lube once run through all the rollers. With practice and evidentiary black spatter all about the place one learns quickly how much excess lube to wipe off post application.

I wish I had this ProLink lube when I was riding multiple motorcycles, it's really good stuff.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:27 am

rjl3175 wrote:
open roader wrote:I'm requiring a tub of light grease for seat post sealing, pedals, etc, any recommendations on some light grease for DIY maintainance?
Go to a locksmith or fishing shop and ask for a tube of Super Lube, wonderful stuff.

Super Lube spray cans and tubes of the synthetic grease with PTFE (teflon) are cheap at Bunnings (only recently started to see it there). the spray cans are just a different delivery mechanism for the PTFE - good for locks, STI shifters, derailleurs, etc. I use a couple of pea-sized bits of grease from the tube every couple of or few hundred km smeared on the inside of the chain after a quick cloth wipe, and get about as much life out of each chain as anyone else. The chain looks good, too - if you start with a nickel plated chain it still looks silvery after you wipe it and apply the grease, for well over 100km. It's a very cheap option. It does not create very much flung-off mess. i used to use Pro-link Gold which is not too bad but this is better.

Parrott

Road Bike Lubricant ? ?

Postby Parrott » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:33 am

philip wrote:I don't know why so many people think their chain should look sparkly clean all the time. I very rarely degrease my chain, I just go over it with an old rag and use prolink on it every couple of weeks. It doesn't get shiny clean but it's pretty good, runs very smoothly and one chain lasts me over 8000km.
Ditto. I never degrease my chain just wipe with a rag and apply prolink. I don't ride on dirt at all however so I get less abrasive grit on the rollers.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:12 am

Okay I am running out of prolink. Where is a cheap place for buying this (you wouldn't believe how much I paid for it at an LBS - highway robbery!)
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

philip

Postby philip » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:22 am

One bottle of prolink lasts me years! The cheapest I've seen it is at cellbikes, they occasionally have the big 473ml bottle on special for $20 or so.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:25 am

Is it this one?

Thanks. I'll wait for the next special.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

chippa1968

Postby chippa1968 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Cell bikes seem to have some pretty good pricing considering they're in Australia - do they charge excessively on delivery?
Getting back to the original question - I use Rock & Roll Extreme (blue) every other ride. It cleans and lubes and seems to work a treat in all conditions

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

chippa1968 wrote:Cell bikes seem to have some pretty good pricing considering they're in Australia - do they charge excessively on delivery?
Getting back to the original question - I use Rock & Roll Extreme (blue) every other ride. It cleans and lubes and seems to work a treat in all conditions
and on sale at Cell Rock-N-Roll-Extreme-16oz free post on the east coast on orders over $125 and about $10 to Perth

D_ess

Postby D_ess » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:34 am

m@ wrote:
TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:I'm ressurecting this thread instead of creating yet another thread about lubrication.

I've been using Pro-Link and have found that it developed a layer of black grime over the chain which is very difficult to remove (using citrus degreaser). Now, to simplify cleaning, I'm thinking of trying Purple Extreme. So can anyone who uses Purple extreme tell me how easy is it to clean the chain after a few 100 km of use? Does it get covered in black grease that resistes removal with degreaser, or is it cleaner than that?

Thanks.
It runs super clean (some would say too clean), but does require a complete degrease before re-lubing. If you're already soaking the chain or using a chain scrubber you'll be fine.
thanks for this specific tip...tho some purple extreme might be on the shopping list for next time it seems...

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Baldy wrote: When that ran out a couple of months ago I grabbed a bottle of Green Oil to try. chucked it in with a bunch of other stuff I'd ordered from wiggle. Its biodegradable all natural oils and even the bottle is able to be recycled. It is a bit messier than wax lube but lasts better in the wet and is not really sticky like some of the wet weather lubes[which are great in the wet but dust/grit magnets in the dry]
Good to hear. Green Oil seems to have expanded their range now:

http://www.this link is broken/green-oil/

Any veracity on how "green" they are? If I'm going to buy into the "green" marketing of theirs, I wish there were more independent testing available (carbon miles and all that)

This is what they have currently:

http://www.green-oil.net/Technology.html
Green Oil's formula is a trade secret, a patent application currently being completed.

Green Oil is manufactured from naturally occurring plant extracts, a blend of which produces a high performance lubricant. Green Oil contains no animal derivatives.

Green Oil's components are balanced to give a high-performance lubricant that stays on the chain.

Green Oil protects from rust and gives a smooth, low friction ride.

Our other products also use natural ingredients. Green Clean and Clean Chain use citrus and cocnut [sic] oil extracts to clean powerful, yet naturally.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

ohshift

Postby ohshift » Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:CHAIN-L No. 5
+1
CAAD10 - 2010 Dodici -

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Parrott wrote:
Ditto. I never degrease my chain just wipe with a rag and apply prolink. I don't ride on dirt at all however so I get less abrasive grit on the rollers.
+1 30% of the effort for 90% of the clean :lol: Maybe a full degrease every 50 ( non-rain ) rides.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue May 03, 2011 9:10 pm

I've got squirt lubricant on my commuter which I am pretty happy with, quiet smooth and just brush it with a stiff toothbrush or nail brush and reapply. Easy

I've got Purple Extreme on the road bike. After re reading the instructions it only says 1. Degrease and clean chain etc as to re-application it says 5. Clean chain before re-applying. It does not mention degreasing. So I guess that means a wipe off with a rag would do the job. I will give it a quick degrease with a brush dipped in degreaser against the chain while I rotate it, when the chain looks a bit gunky.

So since both my bikes do similar types of rides on similar roads it will be interesting to see if there is much difference between the lubricants.

At this stage the squirt is quieter and has lasted longer but it is early days for Purple Extreme and I have had a little bit of wet weather.

The other problem which makes this experiment non publishable in Science Mag is that the commuter has a YBN chain and the roadie has a 105 chain. Will change both to Ultegra when they wear out and keep the squirt V PE experiment going for a couple of chains unless there is a clear winner.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 pm

whoops pretty aggressive lettering there sorry about that!

Can you hear me at the back?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Solirossi wrote:Ok, so I need some advice with cleaning my chain.

...snip...I just want it to run cleaner and yeah any help would be great.
This seems like the best way I have come across.
method here

One swipe around is all it takes to make the chain look like new

Want proof? Here it is -- the acids in the pickle (dill only) quickly remove any sludge from the chain.

Thats a motor bike chain but it should work just as well on a bike chain.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu May 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Rock & Roll is so easy, no degreasing, just apply a couple of times wipe off.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

l45er

Postby l45er » Sat May 07, 2011 9:39 am

I use Prolink at the moment for a SRAM 10sp setup. Seems to work quite well.

Bought the spray bottle size from Cell Bikes on special last year. Do notice that after a while chain gets very fine black gunk on it which can be wiped off with a rag and Prolink reapplied.

Tend to run kero in a chain cleaner and cycle the chain through for a thorough clean, and repeat until kero and chain is clean(er) looking and then reapply Prolink.

Waiting on some KMC links so I can remove chain to soak in kero when needed.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 am

pro-link is good stuff, i like the "tube" for application...... lost my pro-link and switched to rock'n'roll and it's a bitch to apply / squeeze out of the bottle at s drop flow.

Are any Australian made?