safecyclingaustralia.org jersey design finalised ish

The Womble

Re: safecyclingaustralia.org jersey design. Done!

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:54 am

biftek wrote:
The Womble wrote:since when was this a busniness?
You can put any spin you want on it , a charity , an organisation , and advocacy group , end of the day it still has a business model to it
goodlookingcyclist wrote:
Again, i support your effort,and i am trying to give you constructive critisism,
but i fail to see the difference between your site message and the agf message.
there is no difference , just trying to cash in on the cause

that's half the problems with these advocacy groups ,there is just way too many of them buying for the dollar buying for the time , they need to pool their resources to get the message out there rather then tackling it individually
I dont agree that the AGF dhould be the be all and end all. However I also strongly support what they have and are continuing to do.
The negligable profits from the sale of jersies is going to be just enough to offset postage costs so no, its not for the purpose of financial gain. They dont need to prop up the costs of advertising, boards of directors etc.
Secondly, the more jersies of this type that the public see on our roads, the better for all. The AGF agrees that it all helps
Thrdly, this is the first national campaign that actually advocates changes to existing laws
Last edited by The Womble on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

safecyclingaustralia.org jersey design finalised ish

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:04 am

I think the recent posts give the impression that there is a financial motivation, which womble has confirmed is not the case
Cycling is in my BNA

The Womble

Re: safecyclingaustralia.org jersey design finalised ish

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:06 am

As far as Im concerned, fun rides are simply a means of securing government funding and although they attract media coverage for the consumption of the general public while sitting on the sofa watching the news at night over dinner, I wonder if a $**,000,000 grant 5-6 or more times a year would be better spent on education campaigns etc. That doesnt mean I object to them. They are a great thing to participate in and have brought the cycling community together in the last few years. I just think more could be done. The AGFs recent studies being good examples of funding well spent

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks Chris. Im not shopping for a new TV

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 am

The Womble wrote:Thanks Chris. Im not shopping for a new TV
a new bike mayby... :lol:

I never said anything about the money side of it, because that is not a concern.
But only hope that if two different people trying to say the same thing , it doesn't create confusion between the two.

I personally fail to see the need for another jersey saying the same thing as an existing one.
Image Image Image

liamb

Postby liamb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 am

I think the best approach is to get the message out in as many ways as possible in the most cost effective ways possible. It take huge amounts of coin and redtape to publish ads or make tv ads. Jerseys are cheap and easy and are seen every day on and off the roads. The message needs to be idiot proof but either way if people look at it and talk about it you have achieved your objective. If you can get funding to help with the jerseys and get some sideline media exposure all the better. I hate todat tonight and ACA but get them on board about the jerseys and the message, and the message will be out there to the unwashed masses in no time.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 am

Im also going to offer $100 to someone to paint the logo on 'the hill' for the TDU :twisted:

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:44 am

liamb wrote:I think the best approach is to get the message out in as many ways as possible in the most cost effective ways possible. It take huge amounts of coin and redtape to publish ads or make tv ads. Jerseys are cheap and easy and are seen every day on and off the roads. The message needs to be idiot proof but either way if people look at it and talk about it you have achieved your objective. If you can get funding to help with the jerseys and get some sideline media exposure all the better. I hate todat tonight and ACA but get them on board about the jerseys and the message, and the message will be out there to the unwashed masses in no time.

Bill
not sure if the message does anything without the prioper education that goes with it.
No driver cares about what's written onto a jersey, means nothing.
Unless they know what it means, that's where the add comes in.

They go hand in hand these thing, just a jersey isn't going to do much.
Image Image Image

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:44 am

I never said anything about the money side of it, because that is not a concern.
But only hope that if two different people trying to say the same thing , it doesn't create confusion between the two.

I personally fail to see the need for another jersey saying the same thing as an existing one.

Do YOU have the AGF jersey?
2010 BMC SLC01

liamb

Postby liamb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 pm

The Womble wrote:Im also going to offer $100 to someone to paint the logo on 'the hill' for the TDU :twisted:
Hi Womble

Another thing that could be done is get a cheap banner made up so some of us south aussies could hang it infront of cameras or on the trees up Willunga Hill. I got my bike from Mike Turtur Cycles and have a bit of a relationship with the shop so I could ask some questions there???

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:12 pm

liamb wrote:
The Womble wrote:Im also going to offer $100 to someone to paint the logo on 'the hill' for the TDU :twisted:
Hi Womble

Another thing that could be done is get a cheap banner made up so some of us south aussies could hang it infront of cameras or on the trees up Willunga Hill. I got my bike from Mike Turtur Cycles and have a bit of a relationship with the shop so I could ask some questions there???

Bill
Pm mr your email mate :P

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:51 pm

hannos wrote:

Do YOU have the AGF jersey?
I do - its a great looking jersey :mrgreen:

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Womble - werent you trying to organise a Brisbane "Amy's Ride" a while back?

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:16 pm

I was, but the AGF organising it now for some time later next year. And I'll be there for it

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:18 pm

After accidentally straying onto a car forum and reading through the various posts on their gripe with cyclists, I’m now of the opinion that whiles the one metre clearance campaign is a great idea, it misses the mark with that small group of motorists that are the real danger to cyclists.

There is a deep simmering anger amongst many drivers over cyclists even being on the road, and IMHO putting something that looks like just another road sign under their nose is not going to help lessen their anger, and those motorists that will look at the sign on the cyclists jersey and give a metre of clearance are always going to give the cyclists enough clearance anyway.

Sorry about copying the design for the purpose of this post, but I just didn’t have enough time to design a new one. However I do intent to design a new jersey and see if I can have a couple made with this message for my own personal use.

Tom

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Now, you can see the problem here. The minority you speak of have to struggle with an extra TWO unnecessarily long and complicated words. You ask too much. By the time these clowns have annunciated 'pass' and 'safely', BOOM!
Seriously, the drivers that get so angry that all common sense fies out the Commodore window, will be catered for in other ways which eventually will see them sharing all sorts of things very personally with a 130kg 6ft5" piece of work called Plugga. Nothing short of a stint behind bars for our best and brightest
Last edited by The Womble on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:12 pm

On a brighter note, the designer at HotDesigns sent me the final design for the jersey this arvo. It looks the Muts!
Ive sent a copy to Chris and a VERY high profile journo :wink: tonight before it goes to the sponsor for approval.
One of the country's best ever (re: legendary) riders has put his name down for the first jersey yesterday, so hopefully he can get his before shooting off to Europe for the start of the Pro season.
I hope to have the design up by Wednesday, and will take pre-orders very shortly

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Let me know when you have approval.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 pm

will do

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Sounds great Womble. I have an AGF jersey and to be honest I don't think it does me any favours, this one has dark panels in the right spots as well as a good message ;)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Cheers.
As the previous poster pointed out, the new jersey has more than a passing resemblance to road signage. Better IMO than just another jersey where only cyclists recognise the significance to the wearer