Project Pistacchio is rolling ..... :-)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:42 am

The bottom bracket in the Jamis felt a little 'gritty' when screwing it in and I thought then it might have been oxidation. In my case though, it was nothing some grease and a stern frown couldn't fix :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 am

europa wrote:
MountGower wrote:Michael

I can't understand why I did not remember this before. The Unica needed the fork steerer, the BB shell and the rear derailleur hanger all tapped out. You are probably just in the same boat.
Another case of 'fine Italian engineering' eh?

When dealing with Italian workmanship, it's always worth remembering that the same company that makes Ferraris, also makes Fiats :shock:

Richard
And Ducati's, Lambo's etc.

Just probably a build up of minor oxidation. Will speak to BJ's re tapping out before any further attempts....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:30 am

Well, thanks to eBay, a few more goodies have been purchased ;

Handlebars - 3 of em'

Campag Seat Post

Once again, they are from France :o and the shipping wasn't too bad.

The handlebars will give me options as the best to use in terms of width and shape, and one pair may even end up on the LeMond, as I am liking the Anatomic shape less & less.

I have also got the Freehub spline to convert the Aksiums to Campag (but am tempted by the Vento's from my Chiro....). All that I really need now is a quill stem, seat and headstem bearing.

Had a quick look at the cassettes that came with the Veloce Groupset that I got, and they are 13-23, 11-26 and a 13-28. Because they are all separate cogs, I can mix & match a bit to get the ideal ratio set :D

Alos just got my tax cheque back :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :D :P :P :P :P :twisted:

Standby to standby ....

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:44 am

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Hey MG, they have some very reasonable prices on that site you linked.

Does anyone have any freight estimates? Or has anyone purcahased anything from them before?

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Um, just searched on 26.4 on Aus eBay, and then narrowed it down from there.

The total cost for the 3 bars and seatpost was AUS $94 including postage.

There was no probs re communication, and the SR seatpost and 105 levers/brakes I got for der Adler also came from France. It is typically the US that can't seem to post outside of there (they think it might fall off the ddge of the earth and they get negative feedback), or they charge ridiculous sums.

MG, the site you mentioned for the Ventos works out at AUS $245 (for new) without postage. The Chiro wants $250 (little use), and psotage to Qld would be the $25-$30 mark. Another mob in the states wants USD $200 for a pair, but freight is the killer.

The other difference is that the Chiro's set has the 3 spoke pattern front & rear, whilst the latest have it for the rear only ?

As far as the seat goes, will definitely go for the Brooks B17, just can't decide what colour - Honey or Black ..... :cry:

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Birdman wrote:Hey MG, they have some very reasonable prices on that site you linked.

Does anyone have any freight estimates? Or has anyone purcahased anything from them before?

Mitch.
I was planning to purchase my San Marco Regal saddle from them (postage was about A$25-30), but after finalising the order I was informed that there was a 3-4 week wait for them to be in stock so I cancelled the order and went elsewhere.

Despite the problem with delay in getting stock they did seem a pretty professional outfit.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:31 pm

MichaelB wrote: The other difference is that the Chiro's set has the 3 spoke pattern front & rear, whilst the latest have it for the rear only ?
The current Ventos are G3 spoked front and rear - that's the front shown in the photo :wink:
ps. the Ventos are fine for training / road racing (well, at my pace anyway), but flex a bit under hard cornering in crits (even at my pace).
pps. they look damn good!
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:41 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
MichaelB wrote: The other difference is that the Chiro's set has the 3 spoke pattern front & rear, whilst the latest have it for the rear only ?
The current Ventos are G3 spoked front and rear - that's the front shown in the photo :wink:
ps. the Ventos are fine for training / road racing (well, at my pace anyway), but flex a bit under hard cornering in crits (even at my pace).
So is $250 a realistic price s/hand in good nick ?

What is their weight ?

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:25 pm

MichaelB wrote:
LuckyPierre wrote:
So is $250 a realistic price s/hand in good nick ?

What is their weight ?
I think $250 is a good price second hand if, as stated, they are little used and in good condition. I paid $400 for mine new from lbs. $250 is less than you could bring them in from an OS online retailer.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 pm

I think that $250 is a good price for a decent 2nd hand pair - Cecil Walker wants $499 plus freight. I paid quite a bit less than that at my lbs (mates' rates are a damn good thing) :wink:
According to the Campagnolo website, their 'nominal weight' is 1755g for the pair.
Last edited by LuckyPierre on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:36 pm

Oh, I should have said: "If the diameter of the seat post is too small, I'll swap you a 26.8mm one for it". I thought that was what I needed, but I was wrong, so I've got one. I was going to bid on the post you got, but got distracted. I'm glad that it's finished up with one of us.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:41 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Oh, I should have said: "If the diameter of the seat post is too small, I'll swap you a 26.8mm one for it". I thought that was what I needed, but I was wrong, so I've got one. I was going to bid on the post you got, but got distracted. I'm glad that it's finished up with one of us.
Nah, I measured 26.4 very carefully. I've got some sandpaper I can send you .....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:21 am

Well, the stem issue is now solvered.

It may be a touch too long, but it looks good and the price is right

3TTT Stem

Anyone ordering anything from Chain Reaction so I can get a B17....

europa

Postby europa » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

MichaelB wrote:Well, the stem issue is now solvered.

It may be a touch too long, but it looks good and the price is right

3TTT Stem

Anyone ordering anything from Chain Reaction so I can get a B17....
I've got an order there now ... but it's in the 'processing' phase so maybe too late.

If that stem is too long, I might be able to use it on the Road Chief - she's currently wearing an 80, but that's too short. I'm currently shopping for 100 so there might be opportunities for swaps or trades.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:08 pm

[sigh]

[rant] Bloody bike shops. Took my bike (LeMond) in for a Full Service (it's done 5,000km), and with the TdU coming up, wanted to make sure it was schmick.

Took the opportunity to take in the Cinelli frame, and get them to tap out the BB and fit it.

Dropped the LeMond and Cinelli off Thursday morning with the idea of picking them up this afternoon.

Just rang them to see their progress, and to my amazement, the response was as follows ;
a) Them : "Couldn't get the BB out of the LeMond, it's frozen, but it runs good anyway". :shock:
Me : silence :roll:
b) Them : "Couldn't get the BB in the Cinelli, as it's cross threaded" :evil:
Me : But it's never been built up, and that is why I brought it in to be tapped, so that it would fit" :roll:
Them : "Oh. We haven't got the tool, and were trying to find one at our other shop. We may have it done in 48 hours if we can find the tool" :evil:
Me : "Don't bother, I'll pick them up this arvo". :evil: :evil:

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Looks like I'll have to take it somewhere else, as even Richards favourite LBS were unsure if they had an Italian thread BB tapping tool.

Even a "proper" Euro style dealer (99% of bikes are campag) don't have the tool ???

Got hold of another store (International Cycles) in Stepney that can do it (I rang and checked), and also Bicycle Express in the city, so will try and get it sorted this weekend. Will try and get headset bearing sorted at the same time.

Fun and games ..... :roll:

europa

Postby europa » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Which shop Michael? Remember, I had bb trouble with the Black Beast and if it's the same shop, we're seeing a pattern of ham fistedness.

Regarding the Cinelli - have they stuffed up the threads?

Either way, that's just pathetic.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:06 pm

europa wrote:Which shop Michael? Remember, I had bb trouble with the Black Beast and if it's the same shop, we're seeing a pattern of ham fistedness.

Regarding the Cinelli - have they stuffed up the threads?

Either way, that's just pathetic.

Richard
Probably not the same one (not BJ's).

Will find out soon. If they have, you'll hear me from where the shop is.

Yes !

europa

Postby europa » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:52 pm

Nah, it wasn't BJs that stuffed up the Black Beasts BB (bit of aliteration in there 8) ), BJs were the ones that unstuffed it, the damage was done by that other Trek dealer near you.

Best of luck with it.

Richard

5 Star Rolf

Go with Inty cycles...

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Hey Michael,

- go with Inty cycles, Peter is the guy you want, he owns the store, his father before him too I believe.

Anyway he has a very good reputation and is actually passionate about the sport and about his professional service...unlike your former store which sound as though they are passionate about saving money by hiring inexperienced staff on the cheap.

- It can saved, you can also purchase a sleeve which is installed due to such error. - I think it will be ok, it seems you may just have rescued it from further abuse in a nick of time!

I have no connection with this store other than it has always served me extremely well.

Ride safe, cheers, 5*R :wink: .

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:46 am

All is not as bad as it seemed.

After a brief discourse at the shop, the Cinelli frame is unmarked and so is the BB. The guy has 3 shops, and they couldn't locate the BB Tapping tool that they needed. Bad time manangement on their part.

Re the BB on the LeMond, they went though what they did, and I am satisfied they did their best without doing anything untoward. Will still like to get the BB out at some stage, and will try International Cycles in the new year (thanks for the feedback Rolf).

Re the PP, LuckyPierres bike and the Paconi on the TdU stage, not on the cards for 2008, but 2009 is a distinct possibility ....

Ended up takeing the frame to Bicycle Express to get the BB done and see what can be done for the headset as well.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Some more progress has been made over Xmas.

The BB has been installed, and on a damn hot day in adelaide (42 degrees), I was sick of being stuck inside, so trotted off to Richards favourite LBS to get the headset bearing installed - a Ritchey Logic version (same as the Jamis).

Also arrived back at work today to find the beautiful 3TTT quill stem has arrived, and it's one of those flip open ones too :D :D :D .

Handlebars & seatpost have not yet arrived :? , but hopefully they will be here soon.

The next item on the ordering list is the Brooks saddle when the pay arrives ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:39 am

Well after a redundancy :x , a bit of a dummy spit :? , attack of common sense :roll: , a bout of disillusionment :cry: , a threat of sale :x , a bit of cheering up 8) , some pep talk :) , a new job :D , and plenty of riding :D :D (bloody hot weather), Project Pistacchio is back on track :D

With all of the hot weather Adelaide has had lately, the days and nights have not been spent in the shed. Then in a fit of madness on a hot Sunday night, I spent a few hours in the shed fitting the handlebars and cables to the green machine.

I ended the night with operational levers :shock: :shock: :shock: and only some pedals (bought), a seatpost (bought), a seat (next week's purchase) and a chain (will use old one from LeMond to finetune the setup before fitting a new one) to fit.

A quick test ride and then tape the bars and off we go .....

The aim is to get it going over Easter and take it for a shakedown ride.

Currently has the 13-23 cassette fitted, so with the 39/53 Chainrings, it's not a hills machine (with me on board anyways).

Some pics to follow soon

Cheers

Michael B

daacha

Postby daacha » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 am

That's good news Michael. It would have been a shame to see you give up on this one. :D

MichaelB

It's ALIVE !!!!!

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:48 am

Well it finally happened.

Managed to get all of the required parts together over the Easter weekend, and with a rough setup (measurements taken from the LeMond), a rough job of taping the bars, and a quick swap-over of the Speedo from the fixie, I was off.

Managed a nice 50km ride without any huge dramas.

Seatpost slipped a couple of times, so need to get a new bolt so I can tighten it properly, the LH Crankarm bolt came loose, but a Mitre 10 shop in Glenelg kindly helped there.

It rides really well and fits me great too. I'll post some pics when I get them downloaded.

Not 100% sold on Campy yet as the thumb button is a bit "akward", but the chnages are crisp.

Many thanks to those that helped with advice and parts. The shimano chain works a treat !!!

Ooorooo

Michael B