Frame flexing and bending?

Where speeds may exceed 60 kmph

Postby ciaran » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 am

Hi All,

I bought a VISP frame a while back and have been very happy with it. Just recently, I was sighting up the tubes and noticed that the drive-side seat stay has a slight convex bow compared to the non-drive side.

Now, I didn't check these tubes when I bought the bike so I cannot be sure if it came like that. I have done a few standing starts in 1 lap screamers on a 48/14 gear, and I usually go ok as my jump off the line is ok. This suggests that I have a bit of power which would contribute to flexing and bending the frame, but I am still no Theo Bos.

Is it possible that I have managed to bend the frame?

If it is bent, is it safe to ride? I've inspected all the relevant welds and there is no visible cracking or stress. It still feels like it rides ok.

I guess worst case scenario is that it is bent and I go looking for a new frame. I have done some reading around and there have been no reports of these frames bending under power.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Ciaran
ciaran

by BNA » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 pm

BNA

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm not sure if that is a composite frame, but they don't bend like that. They will flex, and then go back to shape.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Re: Frame flexing and bending?

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Can't help you with that sorry!

If it was bent, I would have thought your wheel would not sit square in the forks?
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Re: Frame flexing and bending?

Postby rustychisel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 am

VISP is a fairly coarse alloy frame. They don't really bend. Likely it came from the factory like this, or was squashed a bit in shipping, probably the former. Run the stringline over it to see if it's square and relatively true then ride the snot out of it. Its a sub.$200 frameset.
rustychisel

Return to Track