Get your riding route fixed

nexus8

Get your riding route fixed

Postby nexus8 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:30 am

Has anyone else used the iPhone app Snap Send Solve to report problems with bike lanes?
I've been annoyed by a lump of concrete in the middle of the bike lane on Canterbury Rd in Melbourne for ages, so the other day I took a photo of it with Snap Send Solve and it got sent off to the council.
That afternoon I got an email from some road engineering company saying it was being actioned and the next morning on my ride I noticed it was gone!
Anyone else have any experiences with it?
Heres the website for the app - http://snapsendsolve.com

trailgumby

Re: Get your riding route fixed

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:39 am

Wow! :shock: That's impressive.

... and almost straight out of David Brin's 1990's sci-fi novel Earth.

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:30 pm

What about taking photos of all the drainage grates in the city and getting them replaced with something that a road bike tyre doesnt fit nicely in?

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:32 pm

That's sounds a fantastically cool app, if you have a responsive council. I'll have to give it a try.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a cool application but I notice it does not have a button for reporting glass, probably the most common hazard for cyclists. That said will have to give a go for sure.

Regards
Andrew

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Very nice. Don't have an iphone, but do have Brisbane City Council's 24/7 call centre number on speed dial at work - 3403 8888. They're very 'responsive' as long as you mention the magic passphrase 'safety issue' and they've cleaned up a few kms of footpath for me, relaid a few metres, and painted a yellow line across the end of a bikeway where some idiots park in the way.

Nearly makes it worth buying an iphone.

janus77

Postby janus77 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:09 pm

What a great idea, thanks for the info.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi

Got to play with the program this morning to report a hazard. Was quite easy to use and fairly quick. Much easier than making a note of the details for reporting later on. All done on the spot.

Mind you no response from the Council, City of Stirling!

Andrew

kling

Postby kling » Wed May 18, 2011 4:36 pm

nexus8 wrote:Has anyone else used the iPhone app Snap Send Solve to report problems with bike lanes?
I've been annoyed by a lump of concrete in the middle of the bike lane on Canterbury Rd in Melbourne for ages, so the other day I took a photo of it with Snap Send Solve and it got sent off to the council.
That afternoon I got an email from some road engineering company saying it was being actioned and the next morning on my ride I noticed it was gone!
Anyone else have any experiences with it?
Heres the website for the app - http://snapsendsolve.com
Hi Nexus8,

I've found SnapSendSolve very useful. Agree with Aushiker that City of Stirling Council can be slow to respond.

Recently been informed that there is a cross platform [iphone/android/blackberry] app called NeatStreets (also free). This app meshes in with the site http://www.neatstreets.com.au/ and publicly displays the location of issues on googlemaps, which does make it easier to followup response/lack thereof.

cheers
Kendrick

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm

kling wrote:I've found SnapSendSolve very useful. Agree with Aushiker that City of Stirling Council can be slow to respond.

Recently been informed that there is a cross platform [iphone/android/blackberry] app called NeatStreets (also free). This app meshes in with the site http://www.neatstreets.com.au/ and publicly displays the location of issues on googlemaps, which does make it easier to followup response/lack thereof.

cheers
Kendrick
Thanks for the heads up on Neat Street. Just downloaded it. I have been missing Snap Send Solve since I moved to the Android platform. BTW I have found a marked improvement with the City of Stirling and the City of Joondalup has well and truly taken their place as the "offender of choice."

Oh I understand that the Snap Send Solve are working on a major update as well.

Regards
Andrew

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Evetsllub wrote:What about taking photos of all the drainage grates in the city and getting them replaced with something that a road bike tyre doesnt fit nicely in?
how would you ever get caught in one? the grates are oriented perpendicular to the direction of travel

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 19, 2011 4:03 pm

jules21 wrote:
Evetsllub wrote:What about taking photos of all the drainage grates in the city and getting them replaced with something that a road bike tyre doesnt fit nicely in?
how would you ever get caught in one? the grates are oriented perpendicular to the direction of travel
Maybe in your area they are, but not always the case here in Perth. I have reported a few over the past few years.

Andrew

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:Maybe in your area they are, but not always the case here in Perth. I have reported a few over the past few years.
that's unbelievable..

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 19, 2011 5:01 pm

jules21 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Maybe in your area they are, but not always the case here in Perth. I have reported a few over the past few years.
that's unbelievable..
Not really ... Councils need to know that they need fixing; they can't see everything ... so whilst most have been fixed, the odd one got missed from what I have seen and if people don't report these things then they may still there. I have reported all the road ones I have seen, but heck I have been criticised in these forums for reporting hazards so you know I am not that surprised by it all.

Heck I even have one in the driveway of the complex I live at live .... I am so used to it now that I just haven't remembered to report it (need to track down the strata manger's details) and clearly no else has either :oops:

Andrew