Single speed vs multi speed

peter

Single speed vs multi speed

Postby peter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Any particular reason you want to ride a single speed over multi speed? Is it just the cool factor or is there a real benefit?

ktyse

Re: Single speed vs multi speed

Postby ktyse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:18 pm

It is more of a accomplishment to triumph by your legs muscle than by the artifice of a derailer.

The simplicity.
:mrgreen:

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I have 2 single speed MTBs. I set them up because I liked having a low maintenance, simple bike for use in crap weather. They have been getting a lot of use lately.

I have a road single speed (not fixed) because I like my MTB single speeds so much. Though I don't ride the road SS in the rain - go figure.

Cut all the crap about connectedness and that waffle, it's just fun to keep up with my mates on geared bikes and think "hey wow, this isn't really an impediment". The downside is nailing a climb in that one gear (2x1 ratio on the MTB) and then finding myself wussing out in a 1:1 or less on the geared bike.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Riding fixed brakeless on a $hitter conversion (AT) 63 gear inches because it's heaaaaps of fun.
Learning to skid is awesome.
Also commute on a geared roadie as well as have a weekend roadie.
It's more about the fun angle and the challenge of only one gear and no slacking off for me.

My return to cycling a few years back was on single speed (71 Gi) and it helped me to attack hills rather than crawl up them.Something that has made me a better climber on geared,and turned me into a spinner.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:19 pm

You silly sausage, it's got very little to do with the bicycle and mostly to do with the fact that you're a good fit rider.

Skinny too, but

peter

Postby peter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:25 pm

ktyse wrote:It is more of a accomplishment to triumph by your legs muscle than by the artifice of a derailer.
Ok, derailleurs are not as lame as electric motors. :)

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 pm

ktyse wrote:It is more of a accomplishment to triumph by your legs muscle than by the artifice of a derailer.
You are Henri Desgrange and I claim my 25 francs

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:56 pm

less to go wrong!

looks clean

i think its good for fitness too

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:35 pm

I ride single speed to help with fitness, keep my cadence between 80 and 110, forces me to use my legs more and keep the cardio up. My commmute is generally flat but the slight inclines really get the legs and heart pumping. My gearing is 44/18, probably too spinny for some but perfect for me.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Single speed includes those riding on fixed as well as freewheel. Fixie riders are quite particular on this distinction.
Last edited by sogood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm not a great climber (quite shite actually).. but I like the single speed because it makes me work harder for the same distance... I'm running a 48/17 (or about 76gear inches). I can cruise at 32-35 on the flats and hit 50 on the short but assisted downhills... I do about 10bpm higher heart rate on the ss than the road bike for the close to the same average time on the same route - so I guess it's making me work harder and hopefully improve.

I also like less maintenance, less to go wrong, don't mind it getting dirty etc...

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Rule 1=Have fun.
Rule 2=Ride what you like.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:55 pm

rustychisel wrote:You silly sausage, it's got very little to do with the bicycle and mostly to do with the fact that you're a good fit rider.

Skinny too, but
:oops:
I know....the wife calls me the stick man when I'm in me lycra.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm

If I went back and searched through the forum, d'you suppose I'd find a post from Braulover saying "erk, you'll never catch me wearing that lycra stuff"?

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Rule 1=Have fun.
Rule 3= See rule 1 :wink:
Nicely put Shaun.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:16 pm

ruscook wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Rule 1=Have fun.
Rule 3= See rule 1 :wink:
Nicely put Shaun.
Rule 0=Ride.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:20 pm

rustychisel wrote:If I went back and searched through the forum, d'you suppose I'd find a post from Braulover saying "erk, you'll never catch me wearing that lycra stuff"?
True....But coming out has been a revelation for me :wink:

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:58 pm

You ride fixed cos' it's an excuse to have another bike.

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:05 pm

brauluver wrote:
rustychisel wrote:If I went back and searched through the forum, d'you suppose I'd find a post from Braulover saying "erk, you'll never catch me wearing that lycra stuff"?
True....But coming out has been a revelation for me :wink:
I swore I would NEVER wear lycra, but padded undershorts are looking soooo tempting!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:05 am

Never say never; embrace the new you. There's a reason lycra has been developed and adopted as the gold standard for cycling wear. The advances in clothing and footware over the last 30 years have been as phenomenal as bike technology. Only the dull or the ignorant will mock you.

MartyPans

Postby MartyPans » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:53 am

rustychisel wrote:Never say never; embrace the new you. There's a reason lycra has been developed and adopted as the gold standard for cycling wear. The advances in clothing and footware over the last 30 years have been as phenomenal as bike technology. Only the dull or the ignorant will mock you.
The new you is the OLD you. :wink:

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Purely maintenance!!!!

adaml

Postby adaml » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:56 pm

How do they compare in the speed stakes (single vs. geared)? I'll be looking to replace my commuter in a few months and while the reduced maintenence and hopefully cheaper price of a single speed are tempting, along the idea that it might improve my riding, the fact is that I'm a speed merchant and like to get everywhere fast. Indeed my main frustration with my current slick MTB is that it is a bit on the slow and heavy side.

I'd be willing to lose a few km/h on average, but not much. My commutes are fairly flat (inner Melbourne) so my gear ratio would reflect this.

Clownshoes

Postby Clownshoes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 pm

adaml wrote:How do they compare in the speed stakes (single vs. geared)?.......I'd be willing to lose a few km/h on average, but not much. My commutes are fairly flat (inner Melbourne) so my gear ratio would reflect this.
There is more pedaling efficiency per stroke on a SS so if you are reasonably strong in the legs and riding on flat terrain you will find there is no real differnce with the right ratios. You can accelerate a bit snappier and the extra weight loss from the lack of drivetrain makes this easier also. I raced/rode geared bikes all my life and made the switch to SS a few years back for something different but I'm totally converted now. I can now keep up with my geared XC mates on a SS MTB....probably due to an increase in fitness from not relying on gears.

It also makes one focus a bit more on pedaling rhythm and leg strength, which wont hurt your speed at all :)

Quinns Rocks Roadie

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:01 pm

I swore I would NEVER wear lycra, but padded undershorts are looking soooo tempting!
I wear them under a pair of Billabong black board shorts - works for me.

Eric.
Newer does not automatically mean betterer.