Getting down and greasy

fleecedog

Getting down and greasy

Postby fleecedog » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Sooooooooooooo

Today I dumped my cycling boyfriend, mechanic, trainer, cycling encyclopedia!

Which is great news for me, but bad news for my love of bike riding really.

In a nutshell, the guy was a jerk and a arsehole, but at least he was happy to adjust my bike, pump up my wheels, fix my flats, do everything and anything cycling related for the entirety of my bicycling life. Now that he's gone, and as a broke student I can't afford to go to LBSs to hit on the hot bike boys there as well as use their service, I actually have to do everything MYSELF.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

So I've got my bike sitting in one piece at the moment. She hasn't been out for 6 months as I had to do my HSC. I'm trying to get her on a trainer but I've gotten lost at taking out the back skewer part. I need to swap my skewer with the one that came supplied with the trainer, but I don't want to do that because I don't want to take off my back wheel, out of fear that I won't be able to put the wheel back on again!

Pretty much I need all your help in terms of your bike mechanic knowledge, what I need to invest in in terms of tools, grease, lube, blah blah, tools that I don't own, any good websites that I can go on to find tutorials, that would be amazing. Alternatively, if any single men out there would like to offer themselves up to be my new bike slave, I would appreciate that too.

Thank you for listening to my rant. I can see myself struggling with this stuff for months to come. When oh when will I actually be able to jump on the bike and ride???

goneriding

Re: Getting down and greasy

Postby goneriding » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Start here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/. Everything you need to know and stuff that you didn't know that you needed to know!

Then ask here.

As far as the skewer is concerned, just pull out the normal one and put in the trainer supplied one.

One trick I got taught was to take pictures of stuff before and during taking them apart (not just cycling stuff). Makes it easier to put them back together.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:05 pm

goneriding wrote:One trick I got taught was to take pictures of stuff before and during taking them apart (not just cycling stuff). Makes it easier to put them back together.
+infinity. Best advice evah.

RE the skewer - you don't need to remove the wheel from the dropouts to change the skewer over. Just make sure the wheel is secure in the dropouts (ie the bike is not suspended with its wheel off the ground) and undo the skewer. Then pull it out and replace it. Make sure to note where the springs sit.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 pm

try park tools website for how to's http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

or you tube

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm

fleecedog wrote:Sooooooooooooo

Today I dumped my cycling boyfriend, mechanic, trainer, cycling encyclopedia!

Which is great news for me, but bad news for my love of bike riding really.

In a nutshell, the guy was a jerk and a arsehole, but at least he was happy to adjust my bike, pump up my wheels, fix my flats, do everything and anything cycling related for the entirety of my bicycling life. Now that he's gone, and as a broke student I can't afford to go to LBSs to hit on the hot bike boys there as well as use their service, I actually have to do everything MYSELF.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.
Congratulations on getting that toxic man out of your life.
fleecedog wrote: Alternatively, if any single men out there would like to offer themselves up to be my new bike slave, I would appreciate that too.
Umm...you don't really want to rebound at this point. And with another cyclist?!!! I thought I'd recommend you Zinn's book to road bike maintenance but you sound as if you need to do some self-improvement first and learn to be self-sufficient. You don't really want to date another bloke because they know about bikes. Really. You don't. Or you'll enter into another cycle and looking for your ex in new people.

* Pocket Guide to He's Just Not That Into You: The No-excuses Truth to Understanding Guys, with Liz Tuccillo. Peter Pauper Press, Inc., 2005. ISBN 1593599900.
* It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken: The Smart Girl's Breakup Buddy, with Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt. Broadway Books, 2006. ISBN 0767921968.
* It's Just a Date: How to Get 'em, How to Read 'em, and How to Rock 'em, with Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt. Harper, 2008. ISBN 0007228325.
* He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys, with Liz Tuccillo. Simon & Schuster, 2009. ISBN 141690977X.

Mate, if you're on the bike, you'll be thinking about him all the time. So seriously, GET A NEW, DIFFERENT BIKE WHICH HE DIDN'T FIX. Get rid of the baggage both emotional and physical.

And whatever you do, don't rebound on any of the NICE, single cyclists on this forum. Karma sucks. And I hate rebounders -of both genders.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 pm

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Are you hot? Pics would help. :roll:

Nah seriously, most of what you need to do is easy just don't be scared of it. As others have already said swapping the skewer is easy and you do not need to remove the wheel. Buy a pump (the sort that sits on the floor) and some chain lube (any brand will do) and learn how to use these two for starters.
Last edited by DaveOZ on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Wait till you discover degreaser. Now that stuff is awesome ;)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Buy a pump (the sort that sits on the floor) and some chain lube (any brand will do) and learn how to use these two for starters.
Its called a Floor Pump
Pro-Link is good as lube and you just put it on and don't do anything and its all good :wink:

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:50 pm

CommuRider wrote:
fleecedog wrote: Alternatively, if any single men out there would like to offer themselves up to be my new bike slave, I would appreciate that too.
Umm...you don't really want to rebound at this point. And with another cyclist?!!! I thought I'd recommend you Zinn's book to road bike maintenance but you sound as if you need to do some self-improvement first and learn to be self-sufficient. You don't really want to date another bloke because they know about bikes. Really. You don't. Or you'll enter into another cycle and looking for your ex in new people.
True, what you have to do is learn from this.

It's very easy to blame him for being an ahole, but you stayed with him...
You might figure out you relied on him (or his bike skillz )too much, and mayby it's a good thing that now you start learning how to do things yourself.
This wil make you a stronger person as well.
Image Image Image

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Missy24 wrote:Wait till you discover degreaser. Now that stuff is awesome ;)
I can't believe you didn't know :shock:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:02 pm

goodlookingcyclist wrote:
CommuRider wrote:
True, what you have to do is learn from this.

It's very easy to blame him for being an ahole
He probably is an ahole. Believe it or not, most men are rather nice... its the minority that suck :roll:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm

The Womble wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Wait till you discover degreaser. Now that stuff is awesome ;)
I can't believe you didn't know :shock:
I had NO idea. I actually cleaned my bike all by myself the other day ;)

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Last edited by Baldy on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:14 pm

'Grats on getting rid of that extra @r5eh0le you've been lugging about.

All the references above will give you a good start, we can help too. I do all me own work but have picked up dozens of those little tricks that make the job easier in the shed here.
A few pairs of nitrile rubber gloves will save a lot of time getting muck from under your nails post wrench session :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Missy24 wrote: most men are rather nice... its the minority that suck :roll:
And let me guess , the others just blow... :mrgreen:
Image Image Image

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Ok guys - it's called chilling. Seriously, it's a joke. I'm not looking to rebound with any guys any time soon. Does sarcasm actually cease to exist on the internet? :O No need to become all educational - especially you Commurider :lol: Your post made me LOL. Seriously, doesn't my sarcasm come through when I use the words "bike slave"? Do you really think I'm out to enslave another man so he can grease my chain? Your inability to decipher humor amuses me greatly :) To think that I'm so weak as to get a new bike because it 'reminds' me of him is just absurd. Once I'm over someone, it's over. Bikes, presents, etc cease to have relevance - If material objects serve as reminders of your ex and is a emotional blow to you, I'm sorry, then you're probably mentally weak.

And in all honesty, what's wrong with seeking a new friend or potential partner in a hobby? I don't ride because of my ex - I ride because I love riding. So just chill. Besides, even if I rebound with any 'nice' guys, it's none of your business anyway! To hand me a list of relationship books is just plain silly and lacks infinite maturity on your behalf. :shock: Oh and uh, thanks for the ISBNs too! I'll be sure to look them up at Borders tomorrow /sarcasm.

On the other hand - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A little bit of logic sure did help. Bike is all up and running beautifully on the trainer. Just having fun doing minor adjustments like the saddle and handlebars before popping out for a ride tomorrow. I've learnt more in a few hours than I did in a year. Oh it feels good to be independent.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:25 pm

fleecedog wrote:Ok guys - it's called chilling. Seriously, it's a joke. I'm not looking to rebound with any guys any time soon. Does sarcasm actually cease to exist on the internet? :O No need to become all educational - especially you Commurider :lol: Your post made me LOL. Seriously, doesn't my sarcasm come through when I use the words "bike slave"? Do you really think I'm out to enslave another man so he can grease my chain? Your inability to decipher humor amuses me greatly :) To think that I'm so weak as to get a new bike because it 'reminds' me of him is just absurd. Once I'm over someone, it's over. Bikes, presents, etc cease to have relevance - If material objects serve as reminders of your ex and is a emotional blow to you, I'm sorry, then you're probably mentally weak.
Remember, it's the internet. Unless you put smileys, emoticons, I wouldn't know whether to take your post seriously or not since I don't know you, your past history etc. and I can only comment on by what you post.
fleecedog wrote: And in all honesty, what's wrong with seeking a new friend or potential partner in a hobby? I don't ride because of my ex - I ride because I love riding. So just chill. Besides, even if I rebound with any 'nice' guys, it's none of your business anyway! To hand me a list of relationship books is just plain silly and lacks infinite maturity on your behalf. :shock: Oh and uh, thanks for the ISBNs too! I'll be sure to look them up at Borders tomorrow /sarcasm.
Erm...then why post about your relationship break up on here? Do you really find it necessary to vent about your break-up on a bike forum? It's inviting unwarranted advice like mine.

Good luck.

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:39 pm

CommuRider wrote: Erm...then why post about your relationship break up on here? Do you really find it necessary to vent about your break-up on a bike forum? It's inviting unwarranted advice like mine.

Good luck.
Offcourse she does, don't we all ??

I'm sure most of us used the forum for a vent one way or another. :wink:
Image Image Image

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:46 pm

CommuRider wrote: Erm...then why post about your relationship break up on here? Do you really find it necessary to vent about your break-up on a bike forum? It's inviting unwarranted advice like mine.

Good luck.

Sure everyone needs luck but found it odd why she had to create a new thread filling us all in with her personal drama first before asking for the advice she needed to fix with her bike. She could just have asked for the advice without the voyeuristic purview into her life. :roll:

Most people are friendly on here and provide advice, no need to ask what's going on with their life.

So I could dismiss her post or actually take her post seriously. I chose the latter and I get accused of not getting the sarcasm in her post. :roll: Oh well. The joys of the internet.

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:03 pm

this thread reminded me of a joke about not asking for advise from men.

My friend forwarded me this joke from a newspaper cutting. The original author was "Steve Sanderson, Gilbert S.C."
Find it so funny, so sharing with you, for your smile again.

Dear John

I hope you can help me. The other day, I set off for work, leaving my husband in the house watching TV. My car stalled, and then it broke down about a mile down the road, and I had to walk back to get my husband’s help. When I got home, I couldn’t believe my eyes. He was in our bedroom with the neighbour’s daughter! I am 32, my husband is 34 and the neigbour’s daugther is 19. We have been married for 10 years. When I confronted him, he broke down and admitted they have been having an affair for the past six months. He won’t go counseling, and I’m afraid I am a wreck and need advice urgently. Can you please help?

Sincerely, Sheila

————————————-

Dear Sheila

A car stalling after having driven a short distance can be caused by a variety of faults with the engine. Start by checking that there is no debris in the fuel line. If it is clear, check the vacuum pipes and hoses on the intake manifold and also check all grounding wires. If none of these approaches solves the problem, it could be that the fuel pump itself is faulty, causing low delivery pressure to the injectors. I hope this helps.

Your friend, John

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Young people today :roll:
What happened to the good old days when you just mucked around maybe got picked up, had a wild evening maybe progressed into the night.
But Noooooooooooooooooooooo, today we use the internet.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, computer hermits.

You should meet up for a ride and invite a friend each, then go out for coffee with your best Lycra.
:wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:06 pm

I bet she wishes she never opened with "today I dumped my bf"

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:07 pm

CommuRider wrote:

Good luck.

Sure everyone needs luck but found it odd why she had to create a new thread filling us all in with her personal drama first before asking for the advice she needed to fix with her bike. She could just have asked for the advice without the voyeuristic purview into her life. :roll:

Most people are friendly on here and provide advice, no need to ask what's going on with their life.

So I could dismiss her post or actually take her post seriously. I chose the latter and I get accused of not getting the sarcasm in her post. :roll: Oh well. The joys of the internet.

I go riding with KenGS, Atham, Cpical, Mulger Bill, Gunlock, Fabby and many more, I ask them all the time how they are, especially those that have children and families, because I'm generally interested in their lives... its called friends ;)

I did my first 200 with people who are on these forums, climbed Hotham with people on these forums, climbed lake mountain, did the death by missy adventure, countless trips down beach road and the BLVD, kinglake, wangarratta, shepparton... etc etc.

Sharon who is an ultra marathon runner, we met her through this forum thanks to her husband and they've been great friends.

I ask Kalgrm, Chaderotti, Joeblake and Casual_Cyclist how they are because I rode with them when I was in WA.

I've done some of the most awesome rides EVER with the people that I've meet on these forums. One of my fav riding buddies is on this forum, Madgan, he's awesome! I'm going to be doing the Alpine Classics with 4 blokes from this forum, Cpical, hannos, Psike and Madgan... I haven't ever met hannos or psike, but they seem alrght

I like the people on here, mostly all of them, some not so much, but this place wouldn't be the same if we didn't know weird and wacked things about each other. Like Martin's daughters new bike, Chad family... this place is like a big family, there are some family members we like and others we wished didn't exist.

Love... this is gonna turn into a hugs thread.