Community Fundraiser 2011

Would you attend this event for between $75 - $100?

Yes - Without a doubt
36%
Yes - But I would have a think about it
45%
Maybe - I would prefer it to be a little cheaper
9%
No - Its just a bit too expensive for me
No votes
No - Its WAY too expensive for me
No votes
No - Its a bad idea! Don't do it!
9%

Total votes: 11
YesweCANcer

Community Fundraiser 2011

Postby YesweCANcer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 pm

2011 "Yes we cancer" community bike ride
This is just a quick question for all you cycling fanatics out there.

In mid 2011, we will be organising our own community cycling event to help raise money for a cancer foundation of some sort. We wanted to do some market research and ask: "How many people could we get to attend the event for a cost of around $100?"

Some key points you may want to note:
- The ride will have 3 distances; 135km [$100], 70km [$90] and 30km [$75]
- The ride is proposed to start in Unley and finish in Victor Harbor via strathalbyn.
- The cost will include an official Jersey, Waterbottle, Rider ID, Drinks along the way [water & powerade], Limited mechanical assistance, Lunch at the finish and also entry into the post race event which will include: [live entertainment, bike displays, free giveaways, auctions, food, drinks, bar etc..]
- SA Police will be in strong attendance to ensure safety on the roads for riders and motorists

With just 500 people tackling the full distance - $50,000 could be going to cancer research

Post your comments, if all goes to plan, we will be accepting registrations on our webpage and mail from the 5th January 2010.

Also note, the most detailed / relevant / useful feedback will recieve a $30 voucher via post to Mega Bike in Hyde Park

Dahondude

Re: Community Fundraiser 2011

Postby Dahondude » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Sorry no
Why?
Don't want another event jersey
Don't want to ride to Victor via Strathalbyn
There are already enough cancer-awareness (and other medical research supporting) rides/groups in Adelaide (e.g. Cancer Voices SA, Ride Like Crazy)
There are already enough events to enter (e.g. Amys Ride, BikeSA Grand Slam, Coast to Coast, MCCT, Ride Like Crazy)
The BikeSA Coast to Coast ride (Glenelg to Victor) is a much nicer route
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

YesweCANcer

Postby YesweCANcer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Dahondude wrote:Sorry no
Why?
Don't want another event jersey
Don't want to ride to Victor via Strathalbyn
There are already enough cancer-awareness (and other medical research supporting) rides/groups in Adelaide (e.g. Cancer Voices SA, Ride Like Crazy)
There are already enough events to enter (e.g. Amys Ride, BikeSA Grand Slam, Coast to Coast, MCCT, Ride Like Crazy)
The BikeSA Coast to Coast ride (Glenelg to Victor) is a much nicer route
Thanks for your feedback, but we must say, the idea of this is that it will not simply be a ride from A - B, more an event that would last the day. Something that anyone could enjoy whether they ride or not. We fully understand there are plenty of rides out there, but we think we will stand out as we are not pushing for a cure, but supporting the process patients go through, much similar to the work of cancer voices SA, however this is a blown up version.

We also plan on bringing cancer suffers and families to the event to see the finishes and enjoy the day.

And the route isn't set as of yet, any other feedback from the forum will be noted and a decision will be made based on these replies.

As for the event jersey, well that can't be helped. We all have hundreds hidden away somewhere! :)

double-m

Postby double-m » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi, the following comments are my opinion only:
there is the ride to Victor in March (coast to Coast) while there is no jersey included in the cost it is a very well run event
The Police are heavily involved in the Ride Like Crazy, which again is a fantastic ride, one of the reasons i like this (and so does my wife) is that you end up where you started, hence no extra costs to get home, if you are organising a ride map a route where you get back to the start or somewhere near,
I'd submit your ideas to the Adelaide Cyclists website also http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/
$100 is not a bad price, its about average for a majority of rides available, some people would like an option of doing the ride without a jersey and get it at a cheaper cost.
You will also need to include food not just water/powerade at the rest stops, some people would'nt make 135k on just liquids.
good luck with the research, look forward to seeing/hearing more about

cheers
Michael

YesweCANcer

Postby YesweCANcer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 pm

double-m wrote:Hi, the following comments are my opinion only:
there is the ride to Victor in March (coast to Coast) while there is no jersey included in the cost it is a very well run event
The Police are heavily involved in the Ride Like Crazy, which again is a fantastic ride, one of the reasons i like this (and so does my wife) is that you end up where you started, hence no extra costs to get home, if you are organising a ride map a route where you get back to the start or somewhere near,
I'd submit your ideas to the Adelaide Cyclists website also http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/
$100 is not a bad price, its about average for a majority of rides available, some people would like an option of doing the ride without a jersey and get it at a cheaper cost.
You will also need to include food not just water/powerade at the rest stops, some people would'nt make 135k on just liquids.
good luck with the research, look forward to seeing/hearing more about

cheers
Michael
Evening Michael,

We are getting the vibe (from here and other forums) That people are keen on the loop scenario.. That might be the way to go for us then!
Food at the stops was always a given, we just left it off the list, so thanks for pointing that out!
The ride without jersey option is a good one too.
We think people would be more inclined to join if the ride was created by the riders, not some office workers, so keep the ideas coming!

Cheers.

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:21 pm

I will go the opposite then :D

Yes
I Like event Jerseys and I like advertising supporters of the events I ride in
Would like to do that ride for sure its my old stomping ground
There will never be enough rides/events raising funds and awerness for cancer, health and cycling safety. Had cancer effect me and the more fund raising to assist with reasearch and development and care for the people it effects can only be a good thing
I like riding in these events, like meeting new riders, and like riding different roads, routes,and hills to the ones i ride regularly

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 am

Hiya,

Voted "will think about it". Just about the only way to get me there would be to make it a loop - start & finish at the same spot.
No probs re distance.
No probs re pricing and jersey.
No probs re fundraising for cancer, am doing it at the moment for Ride Like Crazy, and have gotten to $870 in additional personal sponsorship already - for Cancer Council SA.
Mid 2011 is Winter - don't really like riding in the rain/cold - much prefer spring/autumn

Another suggestion is to make the event 'different' that all the other rides that have been mentioned - try something like Melburn Roobaix (incorporating cobbles wherever possible), some sort of navigation type exercise with teams, prizes for fundraising, fancy dress etc. make your event stand out from all the others

Keep in touch as I'm interested.

Cheers Michael B

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Another vote for a loop circuit, far more practical for those who have to ride to and from the event.

I'd also prefer to see other charities (apart from cancer) represented. I'm all for helping cancer charities, I have had family members affected with he disease, it just seems that every ride these days is a cancer ride. Maybe the other charity groups need to raise their profile in the cycling community.

double-m

Postby double-m » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:36 pm

a ride through the Heysen Tunnels would grab some attention!

Patdys

Postby Patdys » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:25 pm

To be honest, I am really getting sick of the 'pay your money and then we will spam you to raise additional money for the next ten years' rides. I really don't think I would want to add another one.
05 Azzuri Primo (bought in 08)
10 BMC Team Machine

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 am

drop the jersey, drop the price, make it a loop and count me in. :wink:
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

davidk

Postby davidk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm

brettjames wrote:drop the jersey, drop the price, make it a loop and count me in. :wink:
+1