Sprints

jamierk

Sprints

Postby jamierk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 am

Hey guys

I've got some powertap training data from todays training, 3 sets of 5 minutes with 5x 15sec sprints 45second recovery. I was hoping someone might be able to help me disseminate the data. Other than peak power, what should i be looking for? Looking at the Average Power vs Interval graph, the numbers i produced were about 90% of the absolute maximums i've produced (mostly race efforts). I was interested in knowing whether i need to be pushing harder in each of the sprints (repeated sprints means its not likely to reach the same peak) and do less of them? Can provide data/pics if needed.

Thanks

Jamie

toolonglegs

Re: Sprints

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:56 am

Thats not how I would do sprint training...where did you pick up that prototcol?...for me I would have a lot longer recovery between each effort.Say 6-8 sprints with 3-5minutes in between...5-10 seconds at max with the aim of improving my snap and hitting peak rpm as quickly as possible.
If your peak training wattages are lower than your racing wattages then personally I would think something is not working.
Peak sprints in training for me are nearly always higher than in races...by a good amount as well because you don't get a recovery period before a race sprint,usually you are way over your limit in the last few minutes before a finish line sprint.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:13 am

I would be doing less of them and doing more starts to get the power in the legs for that initial snap at the start of a sprint.

You are not sprinting ever 45 secs in a race. We only ever did half a dozen sprints out on the road and plenty of slow starts on the track with sprints every five laps over 10k twice a week. Also the other days on the track, we would do the normal 20-30Ks with someone on the bank with a whistle and blow it when ever they wanted. We would sprint till they blew it again, could be 5-10secs at a time. This was good for sharpness and explosiveness. :) (This section of training was done when we were quite fit.)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 pm

jamierk wrote:5x 15sec sprints
toolonglegs wrote:...5-10 seconds at max
foo on patrol wrote:could be 5-10secs at a time.
I've been doing 30sec efforts but with the 3-5min that TLL talked about in between. Is 30 seconds too long ?

I can't answer your original post Jamie and sorry for the slight thread hijack.
FPR Ragamuffin

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:35 pm

If you think about it Chuck, 30sec would be about a 400mtr sprint which is a big effort on anyones account.

I would be more inclined to do shorter ones with the occasional big one at the end of your stint, would be of more benefit to you in my opinion.

The reason I say this is, if you have the endurance in your fitness, then you won't find it to difficult to put in a long sprint when required. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:09 pm

foo on patrol wrote:If you think about it Chuck, 30sec would be about a 400mtr sprint which is a big effort on anyones account.

I would be more inclined to do shorter ones with the occasional big one at the end of your stint, would be of more benefit to you in my opinion.

The reason I say this is, if you have the endurance in your fitness, then you won't find it to difficult to put in a long sprint when required. :)

Foo
Cheers Foo
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:53 pm

This is 15 secs all up showing a short sprint...7 secs of effort...your peak power drops off very fast,if thats what you want to train then thats what you have to work.Not worth doing long sprints if the next sprint effort you can't hit similar numbers again.
Also short 5-10 sprints are very hard to repeat and don't wear you down much so you can throw them in on an easy ride...start doing 30 sec sprints and you will start feeling them very quickly.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks, will modify :idea:
FPR Ragamuffin

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:42 am

Good thread. Thanks for the info TLL and Foo especially. I'm still trying to get a base, but when the time comes this is now how I will try to work on sprints.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:57 pm

The basics are pretty much the same for everyone. It's just a matter of tayloring it ,to suite yourself. :)
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Training Bible says sprints should be done on long rides with stacks of recovery between them, anything that is structured like intervals is anaerobic training not sprint training. As TLL said, it's all in the recovery.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...