Brisbane - The Gap cycle partner wanted

charles

Brisbane - The Gap cycle partner wanted

Postby charles » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Hey guys so I have been cycling for about two weeks now. been doing around 20km each time starting around 5 in the morning. wondering if anyone was keen to hook up.
I no there is the gap group etc, wanted to see if their was anyone by them selves keen to ride through to samford village from the gap; or anywere else close by.
Cheers

ZepinAtor

Re: Brisbane - The Gap cycle partner wanted

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:53 am

Hey Charles, if you're keen for some company the Samford Velos are a nice bunch of mature riders & sit on a good average speed. There are two groups--earlier/ faster, half hour later/slower. They have a website (link below) which covers all the info to save me dribbling on. Anybody is welcome & rides vary from 35km up to about 120km (average 50km). Their summer departure time is 5.30am or 6.00am for the second group.

They leave from the Samford Patisserie every Saturday morning & the ride calender will give you the destination. They do venture over your way & climb Mt Cootha or now due to Gap Creek Road being recently sealed they've included a loop to the Western Freeway bike path.

http://www.samfordvelos.org/#

Scroll down the right hand side to see the ride calender. If the rides are a little too long as you're only just starting out you could join in for the first 20km or so then return to the patisserie & enjoy the food/ coffee.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

charles

Postby charles » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replies; I think I am going to wait to get into any groups for a month or so, untill I really know and understand my bike so I am not in anyones way..and to get a bit more fitness up.
I had a look at the samford velos and it looks great though. I think I have seen them in passing through samford.
I haven't ventured settlement road hill yet..the going up would be fine, I think it is the going down I'm a bit nervous about as its one lane.. give me a couple months i think to drop that one.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Sounds like you're starting out in a far more sensible manner than others that I've known. (not jumping in the deep end that is) I've always found the Kedron Brook Bike path to be a great place start on your fitness & skills without the traffic or group ride issues. You probably know all about it, but thought I'd mention it as there's over 80km of shared pathways without a hill allowing you to crank along at a good pace.

Hope to see you out at Samford before too long,

Zep
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Mono

Postby Mono » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Hello Charles,
I've recently moved to the Samford area. Are you still looking for a cycle partner?

Kindest regards,
Michael

SerenaS

Postby SerenaS » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Charles,

I'm in The Gap and looking for someone to ride with. I ride out to The Uni of Qld, St Lucia about 5:30am Sat and Sun morning. I take about 1 and a half hours at a steady/leisurely pace.
Cheers
Serena