Red Centre Riding

jet-ski

Red Centre Riding

Postby jet-ski » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:12 am

Hey guys and gals,

I'm thinking about doing a Kalgoorlie to Esperance ride with my partner over Easter. Anyone here experienced with riding the red centre? I have driven down that highway and it seems visibility is pretty good, and there isn't too much traffic, my question is, how much water should we be carrying, and what do you think an average kms per day would be? Also, with planning would there be places to stay, or would camping be necessary?

Also on selecting a bike, we have almost identical CRX-2s (though mine has done significantly more kms), I'm starting to think the best touring option with the CRX-2 would be a BOB.

Otherwise I have a running Malvern Star Vertigo with slicks - it needs a new headset, but apart from that I've found it to be a pretty solid bike when I took it touring in Europe (if a little slow because back then it had nobblies on it!) The problem is it doesn't have front lugs for a front pannier either. Was thinking about converting this bike into an Xtracycle anyway, and since I'm the stronger rider, thinking I could ride the Xtracycle with the majority of the gear while my partner could take a CRX-2 with a relatively light load on the rear.

The other option is a heavier Kojima Dirt digger frame which needs to be built up but does have lugs for a front pannier on the forks.

Opinions, feedback?

(If I can sell the trip, I would like to add an extra 5 days to ride from Esperance to Albany and then try to get back to Kalg via bus or something - I realise the Xtracycle might present more problems in a multimode trip than a regular size bike though I suppose I could just dismantle the thing)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:28 pm

G'day jet-ski,

I lived in Kalgoorlie for 13 years and know the road you're planning to ride quite well. I have driven it many times, but never ridden on it.

There are a few places to get water along the way from Kal to Norseman (Kambalda, Widgiemooltha) and it's only 200km to Norseman. Beyond Norseman you're in farming country and water won't be too much of an issue for you.

The road doesn't have much shoulder and road trains use it. That would be my biggest worry if I were in your shoes.

I'd go with the BOB trailer myself.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

jet-ski

road trains

Postby jet-ski » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Yeah, I've seen there's not much of a shoulder. One factor in maybe wanting to ride the MTB instead of the roadie - its easier to get off road and not stack it if I need to get out of the way!

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:30 pm

I've heard Kal to Norseman has one of the highest country road accident rates in the state, take care!

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:05 pm

The shoulder is not good in places, so I'd prefer something with wider tyres. The stretch from Kal to Norseman is the busiest and water supply should be fine.

The only thing to mention is don't go stealth camping within 25 kms of Esperance. The police get a bit upset :shock: Apparently it's illegal.

I've heard several reports of this in the Esperance area. maybe it's something to do with the lead poisoning. :D

The stretch from Esperance to Albany might be a killer depending on the winds. If you get the afternoon sea breeze, it's going to be a head wind.

If you do this, ride at night. I do it with the lights off and ride by starlight. :D When a vehicle comes along, I get off of the road. You have to get off of the road whether you have lights or not, as they still can't see you and it's safer getting off of the road when a vehicle comes along.

After about 10 PM the roads are fairly quiet except on weekends, where the odd drunk is on their way home.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:11 pm

No stealth camping within 25 kms of Esperance... good tip :) I shall be careful to camp only in allocated camp grounds there. Night riding sounds tranquil! And cool... :)