bike accident compensation claim

sam515

Postby sam515 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey about a year ago i was hit of my bike and broke my collar bone.

The driver kept on going and i went to hospital

I spoke to a lawyer, and he is making a claim though the government insurer.
Has any one had any experience with something like this, and what sort of $$ figure can be expected.

Thanks

SeanB

Re: bike accident compensation claim

Postby SeanB » Wed May 05, 2010 6:59 pm

sorry to hear about the collision. hope you're still riding.

I haven't personally had any experience but there are a number of threads in the general discussion section on the issue. i've got these ones bookmarked because there is some great advice in there particularly for what to do at the time.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 6&p=376111
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=27352
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 16&t=26249

edit: not necessarily relevant to your situation but does detail what others have had to go through. all the best with it.

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Wed May 05, 2010 7:30 pm

A realistic figure would be what would cover bike/equipment damage plus lost wages/earnings plus medical bills.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:33 am

nutsack wrote:A realistic figure would be what would cover bike/equipment damage plus lost wages/earnings plus medical bills.
+1
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

alex

Postby alex » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:49 pm

nutsack wrote:A realistic figure would be what would cover bike/equipment damage plus lost wages/earnings plus medical bills.
not true, a personal injury claim is for an amount that covers you for the cost of treatment and the 'value' of your pain and suffering from the day of the crash until the day you die - factored in are long term side effects like arthritis

you wont be compensated for your property damage unless you have to go through something called the 'nominal defendant' which i have a feeling is only used when the other party has fled the scene and cannot be identified
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:10 pm

In this guys case it's broken collarbone that doesnt cause things like arthritis and mends fairly quickly and most of the time with little or no long term issues. So my statement I feel is appropriate.

No offense to the OP and I am not singling him out but it annoys me when compensation is treated like winning a lottery.

Of course more serious injuries with long term repurcussions on health and earning capacity are calculated differently.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red

alex

Postby alex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:23 am

the state government and insurers are not trying to be generous and provide you with a lotto like payment, they pay you enough that your costs are covered, that you are compensated correctly per the legislated scale and that they never hear from you again. the CTP insurer (allianz) and the SA govt are notoriously tight and you can be sure they employ experts who's job it is to work out how to pay you as little as possible.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.