Not another helmet debate

snark

Not another helmet debate

Postby snark » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 am

I've managed to avoid the helmet debates here, but thought this story in The Age was an interesting read.

Just for the record, I agree with the story. I'll be wearing a lid regardless.

[mods- I think this is the right part of the forum, and couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else]

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

goodlookingcyclist

Re: Not another helmet debate

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

snark wrote:I've managed to avoid the helmet debates here, but thought this story in The Age was an interesting read.

Just for the record, I agree with the story. I'll be wearing a lid regardless.

[mods- I think this is the right part of the forum, and couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else]

Cheers,
Simon.
I stopped reading after :
If you ride a bike long enough, you will fall off

:shock:
Image Image Image

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Oxford wrote:I'm an advocate of wearing helmets, but I will also admit that I am now an advocate of repealing the helmet laws.
Good to hear, because wearing helmets for personal safety and forcing people to wear them are two different things.
But often when the MHL is mentioned people assume that is because wearing a helmet is a good thing.
That may* be, but forcing people to wear one is not a good thing.

* like it or not, the safety of these helmets is debatable, there is no clear proof it is safer, and no clear proof it isn't.
Image Image Image

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 pm

I note that this thread has already started to gravitate towards a generic helmet law toss up from the 3rd post. You guys are hopeless for the lack of fresh angles on the subject! Lack of original thinking will get you nowhere... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

goodlookingcyclist

Postby goodlookingcyclist » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:58 pm

sogood wrote:I note that this thread has already started to gravitate towards a generic helmet law toss up from the 3rd post. You guys are hopeless for the lack of fresh angles on the subject! Lack of original thinking will get you nowhere... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
yep, better lock this thread before it get out of hand. :wink:
Image Image Image

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi

Saw the article (it is syndicated across the Fairfax press) earlier this morning and I agree with the sentiments expressed in the article. I guess I simply value my brain and my life to bother to argue about it .... dead or in rehab makes it all too late.

Andrew

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:39 pm

I agree with the article also. I wore a helmet when cycling in France. There were people who didn't wear helmets - but in most cases (out side of Paris) most people we rode with wore helmets.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:09 pm

For anyone who hasn't realised, it's not immediately clear from the Fairfax websites, but the piece is by the author of Cycling Tips Blog.
- Dave

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Oh Yay. :roll:

You've all heard my opinion on this before, as a rider and as a forum mod. Not wasting keystrokes when nothing's changed on either side.

[mod helmet]More to do than this. If anyone gets upset, hit the report button and I'll worry about it then. I'm outta here.[/mod helmet]
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 pm

sogood wrote:I note that this thread has already started to gravitate towards a generic helmet law toss up from the 3rd post. You guys are hopeless for the lack of fresh angles on the subject! Lack of original thinking will get you nowhere... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In that case I vote get rid of MHL and introduce mandatory air bags on all bikes! :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

My new Defy Advanced is only 18.7 kg with carbon bottle cages and airbag fitted. :mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:49 am

Airbags in action :wink:

:cry: Ouch! I did something like this back in 2001.... much smaller mound but going rather faster! Massive nose-wheelie followed by faceplant. Unconscious for 5-10 mins and broken wrist :( that is still giving me grief.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."