Open triathlon training blog

whitey

Re: Open triathlon training blog

Postby whitey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Orright, time to set goal for Sydney Olympic Distance April 11:

Goal - Break 2:30 (Its going to be a big ask, I did 2:18 for Nepean which was 1/30/10)

Swim in approx 30 mins
Ride in approx 65 mins
Run in approx 55 mins

Focus will be on the ride leg, its my weakest but is improving. Comfortable with the Swim and Run. New bike bought to help with the ride :mrgreen: (wont make me ride faster bit will make it easier to get up early and train)

sli123

Postby sli123 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi whitey,
Did you get a professional bike fit for the new bike?
Unless you're very good at setting yourself up or you've got lots of time to tinker with settings, a bike fit is a really good option. You can save a lot of time on the bike leg (and energy for the run) by making sure you're set up really well for a "tri" specific event.
To be honest I haven't had a bike fit done myself, but I've heard enough good things from friends to suggest that they can be quite valuable.
Could save you minutes on the bike and help your transition to the run.
You probably know all this already. Just thought I'd put it out there.
Cheers,
Stuart.

whitey

Postby whitey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:20 am

Hi sli123, yep getting it built and fitted. So we shall see whether it makes a difference.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Whitey - give us more info on your new bike and fitting (this is a bicycle forum after all!)

I commence building my TT bike next week (off to the shop for headset bearing installation - not keen to use hammers and wood on my carbon frame!)

First shakedown hopefully over xmas and first race at the Husky Long Course in March (before the 3.8/180/42.2 Callenge Cairns in June)

I will document the build and post piccies here if there's interest. Bike fit will most likely be with one of the local physio's (2 to choose from)

Oh - today was meant to be a day off training but I missed yesterday's swim - so 2km straight in the pool in 40 minutes (which equates to a 01:18:00 ironman swim - goal is anything under 01:10:00).

whitey

Postby whitey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 pm

bpmhigh wrote:Whitey - give us more info on your new bike and fitting (this is a bicycle forum after all!)
I’ve only been riding for six months I am currently riding a 2001 Giant TCR so the upgrade will be:
Frame: Wilier Le Roi
Bars: Ritchey WCS Classic
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4Axis 110mm
Seatpost: FSA K-Force Light Carbon Seat Post
Group Set: Ultegra 6700
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing 5

Might throw on some aero bars if I end up racing longer than Olympic Distance, but that wont be until second half of 2011. Parts are all on their way, build will be in earli new year.
bpmhigh wrote:First shakedown hopefully over xmas and first race at the Husky Long Course in March (before the 3.8/180/42.2 Callenge Cairns in June)
Might be down there doing the bike leg in a team.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Hey whitey,

You should definitely get benefit from tri/aero bars, even for the shorter distances. You need to train with them for a little while though.

Also, when you're in the aero position you'll end up on the front/nose of your seat and the new position will most likely affect the bike fit.

It'd be well worth considering getting the bike fit done with tri bars already on.

Good luck with the Christmas training.

whitey

Postby whitey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:40 am

Where is everybody. Christmas is over!!!!!

No bike over the Christmas week so I ran 2 x 5km runs and one 10k run. Last week training has been a bit unstructured but this week started with a 2k swim yesterday in 42 minutes and a 35K hill ride this morning.

Entered Trishave Kurnell race this Sunday - Sprint distance 750m/20k/5k, should be fun.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm here!

Training was interupted over the break so missed a few sessions - it's strange that I find it easier to fit training in during a normal work week than when I'm on holidays!

Back into it now - long ride is now 3 hours, long run is 2 hours and swimming is getting more comfortable each session.

I'm currently staring at a cable cutter and bottom bracket tool on my desk (borrowed from a work colleague) so the assembly of my new bike is nearly done.

Looking forward to Husky long course.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Yes, I'm still here too. Haven't done a lot of training last month, but all that is about to change (I hope).

Last week on holidays at Stradbroke Island (all untimed):

Lake swim: approx 350m across Brown Lake and back (700m total) -- nice test of my courage for the Mooloolaba open water swim, because I couldn't persuade anyone to swim it with me, so I did it alone, in spite of the murkiness and depth.

Two runs (including some challenging stair sections around Point Lookout gorge), 7.5km and 5km approx.

Today back in Brisbane: 60km bike ride (time is downstairs on the bike computer -- will update later if I remember!).

The river loop will be out of bounds for some time -- that mud (well, dirt now that it is dry) looks quite thick and nasty.

Training plan is one session each of swimming, bike and run during the week (before work so it actually happens), with an emphasis on intensity (intervals, heart rate checks) rather than endurance.

Then one weekend long session with some of each discipline, with emphasis on endurance.

Goal is still to crack 2:45 at Mooloolaba at the end of March. Short event in Caloundra before then (date and distances TBC).
New tar seal in front of my wheel

whitey

Postby whitey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 am

Completed Kurnell Sprint yesterday (750/20/5 - although swim was short) in 1.15. Great event.

Off to the beach for a week with the family so minimal training and no bike.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Ran home from work yesterday: 7km, a bit up and down, a bit wet, had to stop for traffic a couple of times (excuses...) 42min.
Bicycle to work today: 20km, did some hill climbing: up and down Highgate Hill three times in a row for a bit of fun (untimed).
Need a swim tomorrow or Friday to complete the set.

Indoor soccer is back on Friday evening! Awesome fun, good sprinting, terrible for knee and ankle injuries (as well as marital harmony).

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 am

Competed in a local 10k run yesterday. Training seems to be on track as I shaved 1 minute 30 off my best 10k time with a 44:30.

Then 2 hours on my shiny new (secondhand) windtrainer keeping the heart rate at about 65% - Even at that relatively cruisey pace, it's bloody hard work (not much downhill and coasting!!)

Another tough brick today with a 1 hour 40 run, then straight onto the trainer for an hour.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 am

She who must be obeyed has pulled the plug on Friday night soccer, so I guess I only get to do one (multi)sport from now on. :/

Yesterday swimming (50m pool): three sets of 400m, with a couple of minutes rest between each.

First set, bang on 8min, second set 8:20, third set 9 minutes. Progress in the pool has pretty much stalled, I think I need coaching and more training to make more improvements, but I confess I'm a bit ambivalent about either. Last time I attended a squad I didn't find it that helpful. Anyone know of a nice coach in Brisbane inner south who can do a few one-on-one coaching sessions for a relative novice?

Sunday brick run/cycle (morning):
Running 7km, 35 minutes (5min per km).
Followed by 15min break to change into cycling gear, prep bike.
Cycling 35.6km in 1hr 15min 50sec, rolling hills and flats, avg speed approx 28kph.

Hit the (25m) pool Sunday afternoon for 1.5km swim, no pauses: 33min 30sec (approx 2min 13sec per 100m).

Keep it up bpm, you must be getting well hard by now, as shown by that run PB.

Plan to do similar schedule this coming week; three individual sessions during the week, and a brick / triple on the weekend.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:40 pm

whitey wrote:Orright, time to set goal for Sydney Olympic Distance April 11:
Where is this race held, I don't ever remember a Sydney Olympic distance :?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Run today: 2 x 2km intervals: 9 min each.

whitey

Postby whitey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01 am

Apple wrote:
whitey wrote:Orright, time to set goal for Sydney Olympic Distance April 11:
Where is this race held, I don't ever remember a Sydney Olympic distance :?
Last year was just pros, this year includes age groupers (currently about 1600 registered.). Swim in Camp Cove, Transition at Lady Macquaries Chair, Ride across the bridge to Nth Sydney then back down the western distributor, Run through Botanic Gardens and Phillip Street. http://sydney.triathlon.org/event_infor ... urse_maps/

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:15 am

whitey wrote:[
Last year was just pros, this year includes age groupers (currently about 1600 registered.). Swim in Camp Cove, Transition at Lady Macquaries Chair, Ride across the bridge to Nth Sydney then back down the western distributor, Run through Botanic Gardens and Phillip Street. http://sydney.triathlon.org/event_infor ... urse_maps/
Wow so they are holding one finally for the age groups. Well what a shame I no longer race. I would have loved to have done that one. :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Swimming today: 32min for 1.5km, first 500m in 10min - 25m pool.

Also cycle: 3 times up Mt Gravatt, 2km uphill, 9:50, 9:20 and 9:30.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Missed swimming on the weekend.
Sunday run: 10km, 55min. Relatively flat.
Followed by bike: 26.5km in 1 hour, rolling hills.
Today run: 7km, 37min. Hills and flats.
tomorrow ride and swim.

whitey

Postby whitey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 am

Sunday AM: 35 K ride, hills.
Tuesday AM: 35K ride, hills.
Wednesday AM: 1K Swim - 21 Mins
Wednesday PM: 5K Run - 21 Mins (very hot and humid).
Thursday AM: 32K Ride, flat.
Plan for 8K run and 1K Swim Friday and a ~60 ride Sunday.

General fitness is good. Running and Riding going well and able to complete my race distances of 40k ride and 10k run at a good pace with some gas left in the tank. Swimming is lagging badly - probably need to get a coach to improve on technique.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm in the midst of week 12 of 30 of iron distance training - it's one of those "ramp up" weeks.

The last 6 days have been:
* 9 hours on the bike
* 2.5 hours in the pool
* 3.75 hours running

I AM SHAGGED! (Will be in bed before the kiddies tonight). Day off tomorrow and then long rides and runs on the weekend.

Very happy with the bike side of things - feeling fit and strong and able to maintain my goal pace of a steady 30-33kmhr without the legs burning and heart rate climbing. I'm also loving the flexibility of having a windtrainer for when life gets in the way - have done a few late night sessions that I would have otherwise missed. Strap on the heart rate monitor, set a course for 65%, ensure TV remote and towels are at hand and away you go!

Swimming has been mixed - the last two swims have been shite. The one before however was a lunchtime in a packed lane on one of those sweltering days. Oddly enough the overtaking and drafting among the others in the lane made the time fly (2km, 40 minutes)

Running - also mixed. Big bike volume this week has meant that every run has been on fatigued legs so slow pace, deteriorating form, and general un-happiness.

whitey

Postby whitey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Decided to enter Callala Club distance Feb 13. 1K/30K/8K

whitey

Postby whitey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Swim - 1K in 21 minutes. only did a few swims through January and my swimming has really suffered.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:02 am

Thursday: left my bike lock keys at work, so couldn't ride, ended up doing a 4 km untimed run instead, also 1 km swim in 20 min.

Sat: 1 km swim, approx 20 min, 18 km bike ride in 35 min, getting ready for caloundra triathlon which I was going to do today - Sunday. Woke up this morning at 5:30 to heavy rain, so have canceled... Going to do a run or ride in Brisbane this afternoon instead. Disappointing, but didn't want to risk falling off the bike on a crowded wet short loop circuit. :(

whitey

Postby whitey » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm

whitey wrote:Entered Callala Club Distance 1/30/8 Feb 13
Completed in just over 2 hours which is on target. Well run event in a beautiful coastal town. Beach start for the swim which was fun.